Text Size

The 19th Hole

Course Reviews

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

Course Reviews

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:43 am

Just a heads up to all you NE OH golfers out there, if you ever want to review a course for www.CTownGolf.com, let me know, I'd love to run it on the front page of that site ... which is really starting to grow it's daily traffic.

Reader Steve Jackman just penned a great review of the Legacy Course at Sweetbriar for us. It's over on the west side of Cleveland.

http://ctowngolf.com/blogDetail.php?blgId=74

Also, I may be able to call the course and get you off for free in exchange for the free pub we'll provide the course.

Just something to keep in mind.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby CTownPride » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:46 pm

What if you don't like the course? I think I would almost feel obligated to be positive if they let me off for free.
CTownPride

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:58 pm

CTownPride wrote:What if you don't like the course? I think I would almost feel obligated to be positive if they let me off for free.

I'd blame it on my crappy golf game, but still find some way of making a sort of a "warning" comment that could be viewed as not so critical, but still not totally positive either.

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:44 pm

We want honest reviews. Worst case scenario, the course calls, complains, and I pay for your round after that fact. I'd rather have that scenario then just blowing smoke up peoples asses.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Stu » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:35 pm

Shoot I'm always down to golf for free :P :-P :razz:

never written a full course review though. i would need a template of things to look for.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby CTownPride » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:21 pm

Mitch wrote:
CTownPride wrote:What if you don't like the course? I think I would almost feel obligated to be positive if they let me off for free.

I'd blame it on my crappy golf game, but still find some way of making a sort of a "warning" comment that could be viewed as not so critical, but still not totally positive either.

Yeah... that whole "tact" thing is somewhat lacking in my personality. Hence why I say things like "play Big Met" in my review of Sweetbriar.
CTownPride

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:31 pm

That's not to say I wouldn't hand out a Spergon Wynn if I thought something really deserved it.

God knows that I haven't been exactly known for my shy, reserved demeanor when I write for TheClevelandFan.

But I'm not going to trash a course for being too tough when it's my game that's sucking that day (only in days ending in "y").

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:34 am

Stu wrote:Shoot I'm always down to golf for free :P :-P :razz:

never written a full course review though. i would need a template of things to look for.

Stu, give me some ideas of some west side courses you may want to get out to. I'm hoping to get around to making some calls today or tomorrow. Mitch is coming out next week and I'd love to try and get him on a course for free next week to review it as well.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Stu » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:27 am

honestly since my high school days i haven't played much outside of big met, hilliard lakes, and the links (cuz it was so cheap last year).

i work 4/10s, so monday - thursday is out but friday and weekends are usually available.

i always prefer to walk too, so no need to ask for a cart as well.
Stu

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:45 pm

Stu wrote:honestly since my high school days i haven't played much outside of big met, hilliard lakes, and the links (cuz it was so cheap last year).

i work 4/10s, so monday - thursday is out but friday and weekends are usually available.

i always prefer to walk too, so no need to ask for a cart as well.

PM me your full name and I'll make a couple calls this week and try and get you out Stu.

If you want it, anyone else out there wants it, this is something I have no problem trying to do every couple of weeks. I doubt many courses would be opposed to it. Course gets the pub. Reviewer gets a free round of golf and their name on our front page. I get the content, and the reviews to add to the CTownGolf.com course pages and review database.

Everyone's happy.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:40 am

Awesome.

Got Mitch set up at Emerald Woods next Thursday at 11 AM. And Stu at Shale Creek next Friday at 1 PM.

The head pros at both courses were happy to have our guys out and comp the round. First two calls I made.

I've never played either track, both are supposed to be great. Anxious to read the reviews.

Anyone else out there that has an interest in writing course reviews for our front page, let me know.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby CTownPride » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:35 pm

One of my relatives provides insurance for Emerald Woods (or at least he used to), so feel free to burn it down, Mitch.
CTownPride

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:48 pm

CTownPride wrote:One of my relatives provides insurance for Emerald Woods (or at least he used to), so feel free to burn it down, Mitch.

Given the description, there is always a chance of starting a fire from the friction of golf balls hitting trees.

Unread postby Doc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:37 pm

I've played Emerald Woods plenty of times, but for the life of me, I don't remember a ton of it. I know there are 4 9's, 2 of them "better" than the others. I'd look at playing those if possible. I think there's also a walking 9 hole course that I've never tried. Usually if I'm in that area, I'll just drive a couple miles further down 82 and get to Mallard Creek.

I might be able to review off memory Ridgewood in Parma. My buddy's dad runs it so I play and hear about it enough. Actually have only played the front 9 this year, but am playing all 18 next Sunday, so I'll scratch something out then. I'm by no means a writer or a good golfer, but I'll try.

And I work 10 hour days currently, so it leaves my Tuesdays open. I've been meaning to play more this year and just haven't had time to go anywhere. But, I'm going to try and get out somewhere new next week, and if all goes as planned, I'll write some reviews...

And since I have no idea where I'll go next week, I'm open to ideas. Nothing super difficult, and probably not too much in the Columbia Station/Parma/Metroparks areas. Either south towards Ridge Top in Medina, or east. I'll have to do some research and figure out what's sounding good right now. Anything within 30 or so mintutes from Parma I'm OK with. And Medina is cool because I'm familiar with the area.

Gotta get my pracitce in for the TCF outing. Don't want to let my team down...
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby swerb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:45 am

Mike Stuewe, aka Stu, reviews Shale Creek. Sister course to The Quarry. Well done.

http://www.ctowngolf.com/blogDetail.php?blgId=84

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:00 pm

Swerb wrote:Mike Stuewe, aka Stu, reviews Shale Creek. Sister course to The Quarry. Well done.

http://www.ctowngolf.com/blogDetail.php?blgId=84

Nice write-up Stu. That place sounds like it could be a monster when it matures?
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Stu » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:32 pm

even when some of the younger trees develop, i still dont think the course will be tight. but if they let the rough grow, that could be one helluva course.

i forgot to mention in the review, but in our foursome, all of us at one point or another were able to hit a ball out of a water hazard. its not that the water levels were down, but they mark off a lot of territory. so look hard for your ball, and dont ground your club :)
Stu

Return to The 19th Hole