Text Size

College Sports Arena

Would Thad leave Columbus?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Would Thad leave Columbus?

Unread postby jas4iu » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:52 pm

Just curious if any of you Buckeye fans feel that Thad would leave Columbus at the end of the year to coach Indiana? Before going to OSU he mentioned that Indiana would be a "Dream Job"...any thoughts because I am fairly confident Mike Davis is GONE.
jas4iu

Unread postby Lebowski » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:54 pm

Not with Oden and the boys coming to town...
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby pup » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:54 pm

ZERO chance. He has Greg Oden, plus a few more of the top recruits coming into Columbus.

Thad+Tressel=Many Buckeye wins for a long time!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:05 pm

I am fairly confident Mike Davis is GONE.

ZERO CHANCE.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:23 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2329528

Link to Mike Davis saying Indiana would be better off without him.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby furls » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:40 pm

Sorry I screwed up that last post....

I meant to state after that quote that the statement that I quoted is the understatement of the century and that there was ZERO chance of Thad leaving Columbus.

Sorry about that thats what you get for posting with a two year old on your lap.

Mike
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pup » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:26 pm

Don't worry Furls. Anyone who has read 2 posts by you knew what you were saying. I didn't post the Davis link as a response to yours, it just happened to be when I read the article about Davis.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby yargs7 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:25 pm

I agree with furls and pup. Besides the obvious (ODEN), Ohio State has one of the finest arenas in college hoops, they can afford to pay him top dollar, and it's easy for him to recruit nationally with all the exposure that the Big Ten gets on the tube. Not only that, Ohio State is a football school no matter how good the hoops program is. That means far less pressure than he would ever face in Hoosier Land.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:49 am

Roger Brown addresses the matter in this morning Plain Dealer ...

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plainde ... thispage=2

At his weekly news conference Tuesday, Ohio State men's basketball coach Thad Matta coyly ducked questions on whether he would be interested in the coaching job at Big Ten-rival Indiana. It seems clear that current IU coach Mike Davis will be out after this season, and Matta was once coach at Butler University - also in Indiana.

When reporters noted that Matta would not directly answer questions about the IU job, the OSU coach laughed and said, "I'm not going to. They've got a coach."

Matta said if the Indiana coaching job did open up, he'd address questions about it then - but quickly added he hopes Davis remains IU's coach.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Interesting

Unread postby jas4iu » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:28 am

Swerb,

Correct me if im wrong, but the Freshman class Oden, Conley, ect. could switch schools before the start of next season if Matta were to leave to coach another school. I remember Charlie Villaniava?? was committed to Illinios a couple years ago and Self left Ill for Kansas and he switched to UCONN. I am not sure if he verballed or signed?? Have Oden, Conley, and others Verbally committed or signed? If they signed and I think they would have to sit out a year if they went somewhere else. I don't see Thad leaving...I think Buckeye nation is fairly safe at this point.
jas4iu

Unread postby furls » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:03 pm

Well, I have to back track on my 0%, because Thad will not come out and decry rumors that he could end up at Indiana. He still alludes to the fact that he is happy at OSU and says that he will not comment on speculation and rumors.

Not sure what the ultimate outcome will be, but Matta just signed a contract guaranteeing him 11million over 8 years of guaranteed salary (1.375mill annually) with an additional 300k per year of incentives. This makes him one of the best paid coaches in the NCAA and it is an offer that I am almost 100% positive that Indiana cannot match. Our athletic department at OSU is one of the "wealthiest" in the NCAA and it perpetually ends up with a significant surplus. Indiana's athletic department has been running a serious defecit for years. Essentially in this case, we the Ohio sports fans, for once are negotiating from a position of financial advantage.

Also, don't sweat the Jim O'Brien settlement's effect on the OSU AD bottom line, they will just increase the price of basketball and football tickets by $1 per seat or something and make it back.

Mike
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:23 am

WKNR just had Jeff something on from the Buckeye Sports Bulletin. He was asked about Matta, and Jeff said the worrying it warranted regarding Matta possibly leaving. Said there is some panic in Columbus he could leave, and thinks that if sanctions come down from the NCAA that Matta and his recruiting class for next year could all but leave.

In the end, he says the chances are slim but it COULD happen.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:59 am

The chance of additional sanctions that would impact future play are slim at best. I am willing to bet that all that will come down from the NCAA is that the Buckeyes might have to take down some banners. They basically purged the athletic department, fired their own head coach (apparently at great cost), and kept themselves out of what would have surely been an NCAA birth last year. None of the offenders are left and the Buckeyes have already paid dearly, any further sanctions on future play would just be spiteful.

As for Thad taking the whole recruiting class, what are the chances that Indiana has the scholarship slots to offer to all of them? I would say slim and none.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jas4iu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:42 pm

Thad finally ended all speculation and answered questions on Friday. He is in Columbus and happy...
jas4iu

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:49 am

So, that said he is staying and not going to use that loophole in the offseason to check into other jobs?
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:24 pm

He is actually being more nebulous than that post would imply. He is committing to not saying anythign and has a "legalize" explanation out of any comment he makes. Here in Columbus, the speculation among the media is that the will not leave, but it is speculation. Remember, this guy said similiar comments right before he left Xavier.

If I were a betting man (and I am), I would say he is about 90% likely to return to OSU. I think he is IU's first choice, but I think finances, program momentum, and the fact that it would be Matta's fourth job in 6 years (and make him look like a Larry Brownesque whore) will force IU to settle for Alford who will drop Iowa in a hot second to go to IU.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena