Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Best gourmet foods that you can make?

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Best gourmet foods that you can make?

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:52 pm

-Porterhouse steaks with a dry rub blend (sold at heinens near the meat counter called "rub with love"), its sweet and spicy, with just enough kick

-Homemade Louisana Licker chicken wings (baked then grilled)

-BBQ ribs with a brown sugar/hickory rub

-BBQ chicken with a apple cinnamon BBQ sauce and Chile's Fire Pit pit rub.

-Sweet and Spicy beef jerky, this jerky is better then anything store bought!! I'll bring it to the golf outing
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:31 pm

By far, best thing I make is my homemade sauce & meatballs. A ritual on weekends in the fall.

Lasagna, eggplant parm, pasta carbonara are three other recurring dishes I make well and enjoy making.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:20 am

In the winter I always make a huge pot of Chicken Fajita tortilla soup and garnish it with a homemade guacamole and homemade baked tortilla chips. It'll take up a good chunk of the day but it's a labor of love and freezes well (if there's any left after 2 days)

on the grill it's a bone in Ribeye w/ an andouille steak sauce. Had this in NOLA and contacted the restaurant to get steak sauce recipe. I'm not one to use anything with a nicely seasoned steak...until I had this.

for a side I like to make a baked mac and cheese. I use 3 different cheeses, add sundried tomatoes, grilled chicken and dust top w/ buttered Panko bread crumbs
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:56 am

Not really "gourmet", but still unbelievable. A buddy of mine broke this out at a tailgate and it was an instant hit. As for a sauce, you choose. We used Stubb's mopping sauce through the process and it turned out great. I'm sure everyone has their own favorite sauce though so to each his own. Enjoy...

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup salt
1/3 cup good bourbon (maker's, woodford, etc)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 bay leaf
hot sauce
Worchester sauce
crushed red pepper flakes
honey
cumin
chile powder
about 8-10 oz water

Put the chicken directly in the brine solution (ingredients above). Let sit in fridge for a few hours. Take the chicken out of the brine and dry them off with a paper towel and brush them with butter before you put them on the grill. Cook for about an hour, turning chicken to keep them from burning. You can mop the chicken if you want or just put BBQ sauce at the end.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: Best gourmet foods that you can make?

Unread postby mswerb » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:37 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:-Porterhouse steaks with a dry rub blend (sold at heinens near the meat counter called "rub with love"), its sweet and spicy, with just enough kick

-Homemade Louisana Licker chicken wings (baked then grilled)

-BBQ ribs with a brown sugar/hickory rub

-BBQ chicken with a apple cinnamon BBQ sauce and Chile's Fire Pit pit rub.

-Sweet and Spicy beef jerky, this jerky is better then anything store bought!! I'll bring it to the golf outing

Dude, what time should I be over for dinner?
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:37 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:In the winter I always make a huge pot of Chicken Fajita tortilla soup and garnish it with a homemade guacamole and homemade baked tortilla chips. It'll take up a good chunk of the day but it's a labor of love and freezes well (if there's any left after 2 days)

on the grill it's a bone in Ribeye w/ an andouille steak sauce. Had this in NOLA and contacted the restaurant to get steak sauce recipe. I'm not one to use anything with a nicely seasoned steak...until I had this.

for a side I like to make a baked mac and cheese. I use 3 different cheeses, add sundried tomatoes, grilled chicken and dust top w/ buttered Panko bread crumbs

Would you mind posting the receipe? Or did Emeril make you sign a non-disclosure? :oops:
mattvan1

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:12 am

recipe for the Andouille steak sauce compliments of Darin Nesbit Executive Chef, Bourbon House

1 cup Worcestershire
½ cup Crystal Hot Sauce
1 Lemon peeled and cut in half
5 Fresh thyme sprigs
8 Peppercorn
2 Bay leaf
2tbsp Cream
¾ # Butter – cut in cubes
¼ cup Andouille – small diced and rendered

Combine first 6 ingredients in a pot and reduce until thick and syrupy. Add
The cream and reduce again. Slowly whisk in the butter a little at a time, making
Sure it doesn’t get too hot or too cold. Strain and keep warm. Add andouille.
This recipe yields 2 cups.

slap this on as your letting the steak rest. The heat from the steak will thicken this even more.

nothing in Emeril's restaurant touched what we had at Bourbon House.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:21 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:recipe for the Andouille steak sauce compliments of Darin Nesbit Executive Chef, Bourbon House

Thanks. I mistook NOLA for the restaurant of the same name, as opposed to the city/state abreviations. I'll be trying that receipe on Friday. Happy 4th!
mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:40 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:recipe for the Andouille steak sauce compliments of Darin Nesbit Executive Chef, Bourbon House

1 cup Worcestershire
½ cup Crystal Hot Sauce
1 Lemon peeled and cut in half
5 Fresh thyme sprigs
8 Peppercorn
2 Bay leaf
2tbsp Cream
¾ # Butter – cut in cubes
¼ cup Andouille – small diced and rendered

Combine first 6 ingredients in a pot and reduce until thick and syrupy. Add
The cream and reduce again. Slowly whisk in the butter a little at a time, making
Sure it doesn’t get too hot or too cold. Strain and keep warm. Add andouille.
This recipe yields 2 cups.

slap this on as your letting the steak rest. The heat from the steak will thicken this even more.

LB - tried your receipe this weekend - 3 sticks of butter - holy clogged arteries, Batman!. Seriously, very intense flavors, very rich and smooth taste, and overall very very good. The reduction of the Worchestershire, hot sauce, whole lemon and spices is a great start to a sauce. I could imagine finishing with some beef stock or red wine as well as you described above. Had a bit of a problem with the sauce separating, but it was finished well before the steaks so it sat a bit before I served it. Added a little bit of crimini mushrooms sauted with fresh garlic. Definitely a make again, perhaps with a few tweaks.

Thanks again. A couple thousand calories I didn't need, but really worth it.
mattvan1

Unread postby mswerb » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:23 pm

These may not be gourmet, but we made homemade donut holes this morning for breakfast. My 4 year old daughter loves making these.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 pm

haha, i dont think any of us are "gourmet". I should have said "capable of making without a fire in the kitchen"
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry