Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Food and Drink from other parts of the country.

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Food and Drink from other parts of the country.

Unread postby SteelersStillSuck » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:26 pm

Anyone have any great sodas and stuff like that they love from another part of the country like the south?

I just had and brought back this stuff called Cheerwine back from NC/SC while on vacation. Very Very Good stuff. Think of some ultra-carbonated version of Dr. Pepper mixed in with Cherry. Its a shame they don't sell the stuff up here. :(
Swerb wrote:Tough to win when you have the worst head coach in the league and a QB that stares into his fridge every morning for a half hour cause the orange juice says "concentrate" on it.

Woody Hayes wrote:Without winners, there wouldn't even be any god damned civilization."
SteelersStillSuck

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:36 pm

The whole experience of ponying up to one of those bars in Fishermans wharf in San Francisco and eating some of that fresh made clam chowder out of a fresh baked sourdough bread bowl with 3-4 Anchor Steam beers ... man, it's hard to top that.

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:14 pm

Since the furthest west I've ever been is Indiana, I'm going to have to say BBQ ribs from Mackey's Restaurant in Ocean City, MD.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:19 pm

McGarvey's Saloon, Annapolis MD

Crab Dip –Fresh lump crab meat blended with local spices, lemon, and melted jack cheese. Oven baked and finished under the broiler. Served with fresh baked French sourdough bread.

With their micro brewed Aviator Lager.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:23 pm

Peeker643 wrote:McGarvey's Saloon, Annapolis MD

Crab Dip –Fresh lump crab meat blended with local spices, lemon, and melted jack cheese. Oven baked and finished under the broiler. Served with fresh baked French sourdough bread.

sounds almost as good as the PBJ sandwich im eating right now :roll :roll:
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:29 pm

Pretty much all Memphis BBQ. Rendezvous ribs are great, but the bbq pork nachos there may top it all. Also, eating at Rum Boogie Cafe on Beale St while a good blues band plays live is hard to beat as well.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:28 pm

Damn that sounds good Peeks.

Maryland/DC crab cakes would rank high on my list also. Love crab cakes. Tough to find good ones here in CTown.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:31 pm

Swerb wrote:

Damn that sounds good Peeks.

Maryland/DC crab cakes would rank high on my list also. Love crab cakes. Tough to find good ones here in CTown.

G & M for fresh crab cakes. Bigger than your head and they're full of lump crab meat. Excellent food. Spending a ton of time in Maryland has a few perks.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mswerb » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:39 pm

Lou Malnati's deep dish pizza in Chicago. You have to use silverware for this. Their pizza is a meal itself, you are lucky if you can put down 2 pieces.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Re: Food and Drink from other parts of the country.

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:19 pm

SteelersStillSuck wrote:Anyone have any great sodas and stuff like that they love from another part of the country like the south?

I just had and brought back this stuff called Cheerwine back from NC/SC while on vacation. Very Very Good stuff. Think of some ultra-carbonated version of Dr. Pepper mixed in with Cherry. Its a shame they don't sell the stuff up here. :(

I freaking LOVE that stuff! Awesome cherry soda, absolutely nothing better than Cheerwine. Their website says they sell it in West Va too so I want to pick some up next time I am down that way.
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:35 pm

6 pack of bottles for $8.79. Worth it??

"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:05 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:6 pack of bottles for $8.79. Worth it??

This one might be a little better price. I am too cheap to buy it online, instead hoping my friend goes back down to TN or WVA soon and can pick more up.

http://cwine.stores.yahoo.net/drinkdelivery.html
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby General » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Shrimp Hooleys at Gilhooleys in San Leon TX....SE of Houston. Oysters with a shrimp on top smoked on an open fire...worth the 7 hour drive from Pensacola.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:44 pm

worth the 7 hour drive from Pensacola and the realignment I'll need on my car after traveling that stretch of I-10.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby buckeye319 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:30 am

The Buckhorn Exchange in Denver....rocky mountain oysters.

No, seriously. I could never bring myself to do that. Though they're supposed to be good.
buckeye319

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby General » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:13 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:
worth the 7 hour drive from Pensacola and the realignment I'll need on my car after traveling that stretch of I-10.

Amen
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby jb » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Was in a locale to get up close and personal w/ this frequently, too frequently, last week. The 420 was positively retarded. As good as anything by the hallowed Grt Lakes.
Links may be hiding below - mouse over:

http://www.sweetwaterbrew.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweetwater-brewing-co-atlanta
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:11 am

Swerb wrote: Damn that sounds good Peeks.

Best Crab cakes ever are at a place called Hilda Crockett's Chesapeake House. It's on Tangier Island, Va, which is in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay. You have to take a ferry to get there, but it's the blue crab capital of the world.

Amazing. No filler, just fresh crab meat. The clam fritters were amazing too.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby ThisIsNat » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:37 pm

Some of my faves, when I can't be in Cleveland eating wings at the Winking Lizard or drinking Great Lakes beer:

Mexican food - Joe T. Garcia's, Ft. Worth, Texas

BBQ (Pulled Pork kind, VA style) - Pierce's, Williamsburg, Virginia

Breakfast - beignets at Cafe du Monde, New Orleans, LA

Margaritas - Rio Rio, on the Riverwalk in San Antonio

Cheesesteak - Pat's, Philly

Down home cookin' - The Surrey House, Surry, Virginia
(Best fried chicken on the planet, and they have a dessert there called peanut-raisin pie that can't be beat!)

Now I'm hungry!!!
ThisIsNat

Favorite Player: Bernie/Omar
Least Favorite Player: T.O.

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:38 pm

That's a helluva list Nat.

And you gave some love to wings and Great Lakes at the Lizard. That's one we take for granted living here.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby ThisIsNat » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:51 pm

Swerb wrote:That's a helluva list Nat.

And you gave some love to wings and Great Lakes at the Lizard. That's one we take for granted living here.

I travel a lot, and love trying new places wherever I go, but living 500 miles from the Lizard is tough. I truly love it...my favorite will always be Peninsula, but I do pregame beers downtown every time I'm there for a game! GLBC, I wish I could get the beer down here, but I stock up every time I visit my dad.
ThisIsNat

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:05 am

And, I might add, I have yet to find a good wing place in southern VA. Very discouraging during football season.

If there are any seafood lovers in the crowd, here's how I cook fish. I used Red Drum, but Walleye, perch or steelhead would taste excellent the same way.

Here's how I prepared me plunder from the other night. I had 4 fillets, so I cooked them 2 different ways. Everything was done on a propane grill, but I did use a fish basket, which I highly recommend to anyone who grills fish. All fillets were scaled, and the skin was left on one side to protect the meat.

The first 2 fillets were marinaded and slow cooked. To make the marinade combine the following:

6 cloves o' garlic, minced or finley chopped
1 tblspn ginger
1 tblspn cilantro
3 tblspn sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 tblspn olive oil
1 teaspn sea salt
1 teaspn black pepper

I let the fillets marinade for 4 hours in the fridge before I cooked them. Keep the heat low on the grill. I cooked them one the face for about 5 minutes first, then I let them finish on the skin side. The extra marinde can be used for brushing as they cook. Keep the grill lid closed to seal in the flavor (ye'll smell it in the smoke as they cook). Check the meat with a fork to make sure it flakes apart

The second 2 fillets I blackened (aye on the grill, no cast iron skillet). Here's how to make the rub (it makes a lot, so mix it in a tupperware container and store it for later use):

1/4 cup sea salt
1/4 paprika (I prefer smoked, but sweet will work too)
1 tblspn garlic flakes
1 tblspn onion flakes
1 tblspn ground thyme
1 tblspn oregano
1 tblspn black pepper
1 tblspn white pepper
1 tblspn cayenne pepper (more for more spice)
1 teaspn ground bay leaf

I coated both sides o' the fillets with the rub, and let it cure for 4 hours before cooking. Right before I put them on the grill, I coated them in olive oil and added another layer o' the rub. I used oilve oil because it burns at a lower temperature, ye don't get a consistent high temperature on the grill like ye would with a cast iron skillet. This time cook on high heat on the grill (ye should be able to see the orange-red o' the flames). Because o' the lower temperatures on the grill, ye will have to flip the fish every 5-7 minutes or so (this be where the fish basket be great). There finished when both sides are black and crispy, check the meat with a fork to make sure it flakes apart.

For the marinaded fillets, finish with a white wine (Pinot Grigio, Sauv.
Blanc or Chardonnay) or a wheat ale if ye're a beer dude (Blue Moon, Sam Adams Summer Ale).

For the blackened fillets go dark. A Shiraz or Cabernet for the wine or choose a beer with a strong hop flavor (Anchor Steam, Sam Adams)

Edit: Here you go, I didn't want to jam the thread with a cut and paste. I forgot about the password thing
Last edited by Erie Warrior on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:31 am

Erie Warrior wrote:And, I might add, I have yet to find a good wing place in southern VA. Very discouraging during football season.

If there are any seafood lovers in the crowd, here's how I cook fish. I used Red Drum, but Walleye, perch or steelhead would taste excellent the same way.

http://www.piratesoflynnhaven.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1468

That took me to another forum sign in requiring passowrd and username. Don't leave me hanging. Copy and paste that recipe in there.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:00 pm

Bump, Peek
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Bump, Peek

Beautiful. Thanks sir. It's too late for today but I'll use it on the next one. I just grilled some N Atlantic salmon for dinner and it was outstanding. Did use olive oil to brush both sides and direct grilled. Seasoned before with some Mrs. Dash Italian seasoning (outstanding all-around seasoning BTW), fresh black pepper, etc.

I never salt fish like this before grilling because it seems to dry out the fish while it cooks.

The salmon was excellent and I'm not even a huge salmon fan.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:35 pm

I do use the salt because I catch mine fresh. I'll clean them at 2 or 3 in the morining, let them sit in the fridge overnight and not cook them until 6 or 7 the next day, so letting them cure for a few hours works well. I do baste them often when grilling to keep them from drying out, but cooking them on the lowest heat possible helps quite a bit with this too. I always keep in mind fish is not like pork, they don't have to be cooked til dry for them to be safe. A little translucent is good.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby ThisIsNat » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:43 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:And, I might add, I have yet to find a good wing place in southern VA. Very discouraging during football season.

Give up the search...I've lived here most of my life and while we do have amazing seafood, make very nice wine and have good barbecue, Virginia just doesn't do wings well! Save your hunger for wings for your trips to the Buckeye State!
ThisIsNat

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry