Text Size

The Gamblers Den

WSOP HORSE tourney

This is the place to discuss sports handicapping, poker, and other forms of gambling.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, leadpipe

WSOP HORSE tourney

Unread postby SteveR » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:52 pm

I saw that Scotty Nguyen won 2 mill at the Horse event..
Which only goes to show that you gotta play high stakes loaded ,as I swear I aint ever seen that guy sober.
He looks like a prison guard from the movie "The Bridge on the river Kwai" I can see him busting some poor starving prisoner up the chops with a bamboo cane.

I figger what im not doing in my poker career is not living a corrupt enough lifestyle..I need to move to jackpot & get started on that cocaine addiction.
Geez
SteveR

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:18 pm

He wasn't as F'd up as Layne Flack apparently:

And Scotty won the $2m and his 5th WSOP bracelet, but apparently he was staked to a huge amount of that.

read the post Steve.Lindgren is still looking to add players to his stable. :eek :shock:

http://taopoker.blogspot.com/

5:05am...

Event #45 50K HORSE: Scotty Nguyen wins! He collected his fifth bracelet after defeating Michael DeMichele heads up.

Before Scotty won, it was a crazy scene. Although Lindgren's stable emptied out, a new batch of drunks sat in that section. Layne Flack was in there and super wasted... like Dudley Moore drunk in the flick Arthur. He screamed a lot and was cheering on Scotty who had two massive piles of chips.

Some of the things he yelled...

"What's up baby!"

"I'm not drunk. Chill the fuck out dude!"

"What game are we playin'?"

"Brick!"

Scotty yelled out, "Brick this! Some asshole yelled out brick!"

Before Scotty had put Michael DeMichele all in during Hold'em Scotty uttered one of his most famous lines, "It's gonna be all over baby!"

And in a flash, at 5:03am Michael DeMichele was all in with A-3 against Scotty's A-10. Scotty's hand prevailed. He won his fifth bracelet and the 50K HORSE title and $1,989,120.

Respect to Scotty. Well played, sir.

HORSE will be aired on ESPN on August 19th. Check local listings.

Well I guess that's it. Amazing night. One of my favorite that I had ever had in poker. Memory burn for sure.

I will post my recap shortly. Time for a last beer and some breakfast before I return to Scheckytown to write. Thanks for following along. You have been an awesome crowd.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:08 pm

I love when pros win bracelets. I can't stand it when hacks like Jamie Gold or Jerry Yang win. At least Raymer and Hachem have had success after that. Jamie Gold dumps his money off in every poker tournament or cash game that he plays. Same with Moneymaker.

The HORSE event is the real main event to the professionals.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:36 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:I love when pros win bracelets. I can't stand it when hacks like Jamie Gold or Jerry Yang win. At least Raymer and Hachem have had success after that. Jamie Gold dumps his money off in every poker tournament or cash game that he plays. Same with Moneymaker.

The HORSE event is the real main event to the professionals.

I think they had roughly 150 or so runners in the HORSE event. $50k limits the amateurs as does the game itself so there was a pro-heavy field for the event.

It'll be a miracle if an established pro ever wins the main event again. Too many minefields to walk through.

Jerry Yang may go down as the most anonymous Main Event winner of all time. This year's event starts Thursday and I haven't heard or read much of anything about Yang during his 'reign'. Still, for one night last year when he eliminted every player but one at the Final Table, he was unbeatable.

And unbearable. That was my first ever column at TCF btw. :eek :shock:

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_ ... hp?id=2039
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:09 pm

Good piece Peek. On another note, when is this TCF home game going down?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:49 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Good piece Peek. On another note, when is this TCF home game going down?

Swerb has proposed a date of Sep 20th. That's a college football Saturday. Not sure the details (location, time, buy-in, cash games afterward, etc) so we'll work it out and then post it.

There will likely be lunatics and alcohol involved too. So a 'no camera' rule may be in effect.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:36 pm

MAN JAMIE GOLD HAD SKILL
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:55 pm

I can't wait for the ESPN coverage of all the WSOP events.

Such great TV.

I'll never forget Scotty's melt at last years main event. Played so well in, I think, taking the lead with about 12-13 players left. Loses about 3 mill on a stone cold bluff that got called. Next hand goes on tilt and pushes 10-12 mill all in on a flush draw that also got called and beat.

A week of stellar play, the chip lead going into the final table, all gone in back to back hands.

Dude looked like he saw God after those two hands.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:58 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:Good piece Peek. On another note, when is this TCF home game going down?

Swerb has proposed a date of Sep 20th. That's a college football Saturday. Not sure the details (location, time, buy-in, cash games afterward, etc) so we'll work it out and then post it.

There will likely be lunatics and alcohol involved too. So a 'no camera' rule may be in effect.

Make it happen Peeks.

I'll come outta pocket for the traveling trophy for this soon to be semi-annual event.

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to The Gamblers Den