Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

CBs

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

CBs

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:50 am

I love shutdown corners, Deion is my boy.
I think the secondary is junk for the Browns.
What does everyone think about getting Law or Woodson?
They both have been beat up and come with a large pricetag.
Is it worth it?
I am on the fence here.
I doubt they consider either.
It would like it however if they pursued it.

Unread postby mswerb » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:30 am

I think Woodson would be a sweet pickup, he has been solid. Plus I think the brown and orange would look good on him. I don't care too much for Ty Law.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby P.O.PUPPY » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:49 am

I don't think the Browns secondary is junk. It's really hard to judge with the lack of a pass rush. It's very hard to be a shutdown corner if the QB has all day to sit back in the pocket with very little pressure being applied. I also think the Browns seondary is the strenth of the defense right now. With some help from the front seven they would look much better. Even Chad Johnson gave the Browns secondary props.
P.O.PUPPY

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:27 pm

The Browns secondary is one of the only spots on the team that doesn't need major reinforcements.

They have three legitimate NFL corners under contract in Baxter, Bodden, and Cutch. They have Crocker, Pool, and Jones at safety ... and will either resign or upgrade Russell.

In my view ... the Browns have far too many needs to throw the kind of jack Law or Woodson would want at a cornerback.

They do need another veteran safety though ....
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:38 pm

The Browns desperately need help on the front 7. If I had a spot that I say they spend that kind of money it would be for LB's or DE's. No cornerback has any shot at covering any wide receiver for as long as the opposing QB's have to sit in the pocket and find someone. Hell, give swerb 5 minutes and he could pbly beat charles woodson (or at least wind him slightly).

Mike
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby buddycowley » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:26 pm

PO makes a good point here. If the Browns had any semblance of a pass rush, then the receivers our DBs are covering wouldn't have 8 seconds to run a route, adjust off that route, and then find the open areas in the defense.

Baxter is a legit corner, and should return to form upon healing from his injury.

Bodden has surprised EVERYONE and there isn't much reason to believe that he's suddenly going to have a drop-off.

Though Cutch isn't as fast as he's been, he's still one of the best tacklers on the team and will be very valuable in the nickel packages (just as all those Ray Mickens haters out there).

I'd LOVE to sign Woodson, simply because he was one of my favorite Michigan players, but the injury risks and the salary he's going to command just puts him out of our league.

Ty Law, another Blue out there, is the same story. Is/Was great, but isn't who he used to be. Plus, he's one injury away from being done forever.

Build the front seven first. If Law wants to come here on a major discount, let him. I doubt that scenario highly though.

Buddy
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL