Text Size

The Back Of The Net

Euro Cup 08

Talk Cleveland City Stars, World Cup, MLS, and all other forms of pro soccer here in TheClevelandFan's newest forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Spin

Euro Cup 08

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:24 pm

Anyone else watching? MLS is like the minor leagues of soccer so whenever the international talent is on display I gotta watch. Cristiano Ronaldo is dominating, Lukas Podolski is filthy, and Ruud Van Nistelrooy is well... Ruud. Netherlands-France game is on right now with France getting back both Henry and Viera.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:00 pm

France got bounced by Holland

good times
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Chris Perez

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:15 pm

After the laser beam in extra time I couldn't stop laughing when the announcer said, "It's a dutch oven and the French are toast!".
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby budfrog532 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:37 am

Never thought I would say this, but I am actually pulling for Portugal in this one...

I am still absolutely befuddled by the Greek goalkeeper, haven't figured that one out.

...have the DVR fired up for this afternoon, looks like 2 excellent matches on the way.
budfrog532

Favorite Player: Clay Matthews
Least Favorite Player: John Elway

Unread postby SteelersStillSuck » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:46 pm

This is the type of Soccer they should show us Americans more.

The energy in the game I'm watching (Sweden-Russia) is pretty incredible, like a College Football game in the south or something.

I hear more and more folks are auctually watching this over here. Which is pretty cool.
Swerb wrote:Tough to win when you have the worst head coach in the league and a QB that stares into his fridge every morning for a half hour cause the orange juice says "concentrate" on it.

Woody Hayes wrote:Without winners, there wouldn't even be any god damned civilization."
SteelersStillSuck

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:24 pm

SteelersStillSuck wrote:This is the type of Soccer they should show us Americans more.

The energy in the game I'm watching (Sweden-Russia) is pretty incredible, like a College Football game in the south or something.

I hear more and more folks are auctually watching this over here. Which is pretty cool.

There's actually Premier League and Champions League games shown on ESPN2 all the time, usually around 2:30 or 3:00 pm. Not quite like playing for your country but way better than MLS. The only downside is after this, we gotta wait 2 more years for the World Cup.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:00 am

Germany is a monster though Portugal pretty much gave them 2 free goals. Podolski has been one of my favorite players for a while but he is shining on the International stage. In sad news my other favorite player, French striker Franck Ribery broke his ankle and will be out 2 months. Doesn't matter too much since France is done but sucks for Ribery.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:22 pm

After 118 minutes of incredibly bad, pointless football, Croatia wins the game in the 119th minute by scoring against Turkey, who ...

... wait, what was that?

Turkey scores in the 120th minute.

This team is simply ridiculous. Their comeback from 2-0 to beat the Czechs was silly enough, but ... damn. I mean, I don't root for Turkey, but ...

... day-um.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:26 pm

What the hell is soccer?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:29 pm

And, by shrewdly MISSING two of their penalty kicks, Croatia is eliminated and Turkey is through.

Astonishing.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:22 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:And, by shrewdly MISSING two of their penalty kicks, Croatia is eliminated and Turkey is through.

Astonishing.

Turkey pulls a SO win over Croatia out of their rectal cavity for the right to get pwned by the Germans.

Book it now...Germany will play the Dutch for the Euro Cup.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:14 pm

Russia win 3-1 in extra time against the Dutch

wow Turkey and Russia through to the semis

as long as the Turks don't win
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:35 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:Russia win 3-1 in extra time against the Dutch

Now I hate Russia even more: not only did they knock out the Orange, who are at least fun to watch, they completely mailed in the second half against Spain.

The Germany-Turkey match featured some of the worst combined goalkeeping I've ever seen, although some of the goals allowed by England against Croatia in qualifying were historically wretched. Still, the Croatian GK did a decent job: in Germany-Turkey, BOTH goalies let in at least one shocker.

I hate to jinx Spain, but ... go Spain!
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:37 am

Viva Espana!!!

can't let the Gerrys get one up on us English

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:33 am

Germany. Spain. 2:30 PM Sunday. This might be epic. I like the individual players from Germany better (Podolski, Klose), but I want Spain to win. For that to happen Fernando Torres has to at least show up; he's been pretty bad so far.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:50 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Germany. Spain. 2:30 PM Sunday. This might be epic. I like the individual players from Germany better (Podolski, Klose), but I want Spain to win. For that to happen Fernando Torres has to at least show up; he's been pretty bad so far.

Well, from what I've heard, David Villa will miss the match: that's a huge blow.

But who knew Cesc Fabregas still had All-World skills left in him? He had an amazing match against the Russians. Of course, it didn't hurt that Russia didn't bother to put anyone on the wings.

Given how poor Lensmann looked in goal and how Spain doesn't appear to have its tight collars on to choke early as they usually do, I have to think Spain can win this. But that's why they play the matches, no?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Return to The Back Of The Net