Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Kenard Lang Going ... Going ... GONE

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Kenard Lang Going ... Going ... GONE

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:25 am

I understand why, but this is too bad. Kenard is one of the all time good guys to play here, and there is no one more friendly or quaotable in the locker room. Lang also busted his ass dropping the weight for said position move, and told me he spent hours every day watching tape of Willie McGinest last off-season.

Dilemma is ... the Browns never saw him as a 3-4 DE, and the move to OLB didn't go smooth. Lang was uanble to pressure the QB from that position, and struggled in coverages. And he's getting a little long in the tooth.

These statements from Savage in this mornings PD and on The OBR seal his fate here.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plainde ... xml&coll=2

The first order of business is to part ways with potential free agents, such as receiver Antonio Bryant, linebacker Ben Taylor, tight end Aaron Shea and punter Kyle Richardson, and with converted linebacker Kenard Lang, who is under contract but probably will be released this week.

"Every time we meet, we talk of some of the difficult choices we'll have to make," Savage said Tuesday. "Some of these guys are good guys and pretty good players, but at a certain point, you have to say, 'We think we can do better.'

http://browns.scout.com/2/501475.html

Q: What are your plans for Kenard Lang?

Savage: Lang really tried to do his best to make the transition. We have talked a lot about him. His situation clearly will be addressed.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby P.O.PUPPY » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:08 am

I have the feeling that Savage knew that that there would be several teams that would have cap issues and have to cut some good players to get under the cap. That could be one of the reasons why he waited untill this year to make a splash in FA. That and now knowing the talent that is on the Browns now and what he thinks of it. I think some of the moves he made last year was to make that Browns had enough cap to be a serious player in FA this year too. Reading stories about the Jets, Redskins, Raiders and a couple of other teams that makes sense to me. I think this going to be a very interesting off season to say the least.
P.O.PUPPY

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:14 am

Lang was on this team last year? :twisted: :wink:
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:53 am

Here are my questions and they are all serious:

1.) Who will be playing in the DLine next year?

2.) Who will be playing LB next year?

3.) Will they try to address these needs in the front 7 through the draft or free agency?

My answers based on my gut feelings:

1.) As I look down the roster, the DL depth does not really seem that promising. Especially at the DE position which is immensely important in a 3-4. They are going to need some immediate impact at this position and I am not sure if they will find it in the draft.

2.) I seriously have no idea where to even begin with this. Are there any intriguing FAs available?

3.) I think this depends on how seriously they intend to compete in the immediate future. Are the Browns on a 2 year plan? A 5 year plan? are they planning on competing next year?

I am not sure about this but what I can say is that as I look at the Browns, I personally think that they really need to bring in some new personnel in the front 7 in order to compete.

Mike
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:48 pm

ESPNNews reported that it is official. The Browns have terminated Kenard Lang's contract. I'm sorry to see him go, he seemed to be an emotional spark.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:10 pm

mswerb wrote:ESPNNews reported that it is official. The Browns have terminated Kenard Lang's contract. I'm sorry to see him go, he seemed to be an emotional spark.

An emotional spark to what? A bad defense? :D
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:30 pm

Yes, the defense was bad. But at least he seemed to want to be out on the field, and he always seemed fired up to play.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby SpaZDawG » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:42 am

he was out of posistion, pure and simple. Plus, now we get even more cap room.

Trust savage he has a plan, wouldnt let him go if he did not have plans A, B, C and D to fill the spot with someone better.
SpaZDawG

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL