Text Size

The Rumble Room

Good Weekend Of Fights Coming Up

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Good Weekend Of Fights Coming Up

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:51 am

http://www.cleveland.com/boxing/plainde ... thispage=2

On Friday, Showtime's "ShoBox" series has 2004 Olympic gold medalist Andre Ward (15-0, 10 KOs) taking on super middleweight Jerson Ravelo (18-2, 12 KOs). The opener has Ronald Hearns (18-0, 14 KOs), son of Thomas "Hit Man" Hearns, facing junior middleweight Jose Luis Gonzalez (12-3-1, 10 KOs) in the Grand Cayman Islands at 11 p.m.

On Saturday, Showtime returns with a rematch between IBF middleweight champ Arthur Abraham (26-0, 21 KOs) and Edison Miranda (30-2, 26 KOs) in Hollywood, Fla., at 9 p.m. This one will be at the catch weight of 166 pounds, so Abraham's title will not be at stake. When these two met in September 2006, Abraham suffered a broken jaw, but still won a unanimous decision when Miranda was penalized throughout for low blows and head butts.

HBO goes up against its cable rival an hour later when Andre Berto (21-0, 18 KOs) takes on Miguel Angel Rodriguez (29-2, 23 KOs) for the vacant WBC welterweight title. That one came open when Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced he was retiring (for how long?) a month ago.

Berto, 24, is the fellow who was disqualified along with Cleveland's Juan McPherson at the 2004 U.S. Olympic trials in Tunica, Miss. Saturday's title bout takes place in nearby Memphis, Tenn., with the telecast starting at 10 p.m.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:16 am

The Ultimate Fighter Finale is on Spike Saturday night also.
Great weekend.

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:06 pm

So if Abraham wins, he's probably Pavlik's next challenger?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:54 pm

I would think so, it makes the most sense.
Calzaghe's scared to lose to Pavlik so that won't happen.

Unread postby Rusty » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:52 am

Skating Tripods wrote:So if Abraham wins, he's probably Pavlik's next challenger?

My guess is that Arthur Abraham will never face Pavlik immediately after fighting Miranda.

Look for Rubio, Mayorga, or Winky Wright to be Kelly's next opponent, it's just more realistic.

Abraham, Sturm, and Calzache are notoriously protected Euro fighters, so don't hold your breath on any of those guys.

I'm still shocked that Abraham is actually willing to fight Miranda in the US. He gets my respect for taking that fight and I can't wait to see it go down.
Rusty

Favorite Player: Tim Lincecum
Least Favorite Player: Mark Buehrle

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:21 am

Rusty wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:So if Abraham wins, he's probably Pavlik's next challenger?

My guess is that Arthur Abraham will never face Pavlik immediately after fighting Miranda.

Look for Rubio, Mayorga, or Winky Wright to be Kelly's next opponent, it's just more realistic.

Abraham, Sturm, and Calzache are notoriously protected Euro fighters, so don't hold your breath on any of those guys.

I'm still shocked that Abraham is actually willing to fight Miranda in the US. He gets my respect for taking that fight and I can't wait to see it go down.

Agreed on all counts.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Fired up for these fights tonight.

Unbeaten but untested Giovani Lorenzo takes on grizzled vet Raul Marquez, in the midst of a solid comeback. Winner gets in the mix at middleweight with the rest of the pretenders behind Kelly.

Then, Miranda/Abraham II. Can't wait for this one. First one was a war. Winner goes to the top of the pack behind Kelly at middle.

Then on HBO, Andre Berto fights again. Scary talent. Fighting Migel Angel Rodriguez for the alphabet welterweight belt vacated when Mayweather "retired".

Before that, a couple of young, undefeated heavyweights that I've never seen fight when Chris Arreola and Chazz Witherspoon beef.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:08 pm

Great fight to get this party started. Marquez wins a great fight, unanimous decision, 114-113 on all three cards. How I had it too. Lorenzo loses a point on a head butt too, that was the difference between this one being a draw on all the cards.

Marquez is limited, but gritty. This win gets him another decent payday fight, maybe against one of the other belt holders at middle, who would much rather beat him up then fight Kelly.

Classic moment in this one. After the 10th ended, these guys kept punching each other for a good 10 seconds after the bell rang.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:46 pm

Well ... it's official.

Arthur Abraham is the guy. The #2 middleweight in the world behind Kelly. He left no doubt about that, making waste of Edison Miranda in the 4th rd. A win that will get him a big payday, regardless of who it's against.

Great defensive boxer. Lethal counter puncher. Strong, in great shape. A legit contender.

My god ... please let Abraham/Pavlik happen in Cleveland.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:50 pm

Says he wants Pavlik in the post fight interview.

Make this fight happen. Would be a big time middleweight title unification fight that could warrant legit PPV dollars.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:24 am

I think it would be a great fight.
Abraham's chin is pretty damn solid.

Unread postby Rusty » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:26 am

FightDr wrote:I think it would be a great fight.
Abraham's chin is pretty damn solid.

Abraham's chin better be solid, with 2 titanium plates and over 20 screws holding it together. :lol:

Hopefully, Abraham will finally get any delusions of fighting Oscar De La Hoya out of his head and he will agree to fight Pavlik early next year.

This fight just has to happen.
Rusty

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:07 am

Everybody wants to fight De La Hoya because of the payday.

I watched the first Abraham-Miranda fight yesterday again also. He fought 7 rounds with a broken jaw. It was bleeding like a faucet and he didn't stop fighting or coming forward.
If Abraham-Pavlik goes down it's going to be a great fight, and a tough one for The Ghost.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:47 am

FightDr wrote:Everybody wants to fight De La Hoya because of the payday.

I watched the first Abraham-Miranda fight yesterday again also. He fought 7 rounds with a broken jaw. It was bleeding like a faucet and he didn't stop fighting or coming forward.
If Abraham-Pavlik goes down it's going to be a great fight, and a tough one for The Ghost.

Without a doubt. His effort in the first Miranda fight was heroic. And last night was dominating.

Abraham is a very strong defender. Great counter puncher. Type of guy that could give Kelly some problems.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:24 am

Anyone watch Chazz Witherspoon get pummeled?

Berto looked terrific but Chazz 'The Gentleman' Witherspoon was gentlemanly in that it appeared he didn't believe in settling a dispute with his fists.

He was horrible.

I flipped between Berto's clinical destruction of Mikki Rodrigue and the Spike fights. I know it was free but tat was a mediocre card. Fiorovanti- Sanchez was enjoyable and Kendall Grove was impressive as well but that was three hours of not much else.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:33 am

I watched Witherspoon get beat up also.

The UFC show was decent, I liked CB Dolloway losing to Amir again.
Diego Sanchez and Kendall Grove looked good and Evan Tanner looked really bad. I hope he's done.

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:33 am

Peeker643 wrote:Anyone watch Chazz Witherspoon get pummeled?

Berto looked terrific but Chazz 'The Gentleman' Witherspoon was gentlemanly in that it appeared he didn't believe in settling a dispute with his fists.

He was horrible.

I flipped between Berto's clinical destruction of Mikki Rodrigue and the Spike fights. I know it was free but tat was a mediocre card. Fiorovanti- Sanchez was enjoyable and Kendall Grove was impressive as well but that was three hours of not much else.

I watched Berto, was clicking back and forth to the Witherspoon destruction. Any boxer who's nickname is "The Gentleman" ... well, you saw what happened. Dude is a stiff.

That said, Arrealo looked semi-intriguing. Would like to see him fight Povetkin next. I still haven't seen a heavy that can give Klitcschko any shit. Never seen his next opponent (Tony Thompson) fight, but from what I've read, it should be another systematic destruction.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Rusty » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:59 pm

Arthur's brother cost him 100K and was arrested for acting like a total punk after the fight.
While Miranda was still on the canvas being attended to by the ring doctor, Alexander Abraham, Arthur's brother, kicked Miranda in the head. That prompted someone from Miranda's corner to try to get into the ring with a folding chair. It took on a WWE twist. But this hatred and venom was real.

Alexander Abraham was arrested by the Seminole Tribal Police and later turned over to Broward County Sheriffs and taken to jail. He was awaiting bail late Saturday night. Arthur Abraham was fined $100,000 by the Florida State Athletic Commission for failure to control his entourage.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3455946
Rusty

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:03 am

The above comments are totally false. I rewatched the footage and nothing happened in the ring.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=16222&more=1

Unread postby krazylegz » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:31 am

i really like andre berto,he fought on the pavlik/taylor I card and was very impressive
krazylegz

Unread postby Rusty » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:32 am

FightDr wrote:The above comments are totally false. I rewatched the footage and nothing happened in the ring.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=16222&more=1

Totally false?

http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2/headlines//EkEukZylVyyhiaiSbf.html

Something definitely went down after the fight and Alex Abraham was arrested. He acted like a punk and he got thrown in jail.
Rusty

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:34 am

He might have acted like a punk but it has nothing to do with Miranda.

Return to The Rumble Room