Text Size

The 19th Hole

Tiger Woods to shut it down for the year

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

Tiger Woods to shut it down for the year

Unread postby pfischbach24 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:45 am

As the whispers began chattering moments after the U.S. Open with regard to the future of Tiger Woods this year, it appears we have our very unfortunate answer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3450453
Titled "Woods reportedly set to have season-ending knee surgery"

This is horrific news for the PGA Tour and golf fans throughout the country, including those counting on him to lead the US team in the Ryder Cup in September. The amount of negative feedback and how unfortunate this occurrence is will be inevitable. But does this not attest to how powerful this past US Open really was? Not only did Tiger play on one leg for the week, but he did so with 19 extra holes added. Truly a performance that will be recognized as one of the greatest in his already heralded career, and easily the gutsiest. We can only hope the time off will restore the most talked about left knee in recent memory, and allow Tiger to return at full strength next year.
pfischbach24

Favorite Player: LBJ
Least Favorite Player: Mikki Moore

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:01 pm

It was pretty obvious the way he was grimacing that he was going to need surgery again. He sacrificed his whole year to win his fave tourney on his fave course. I doubt he has any regrets. Hopefully Skip Bayless will quit calling him a faker.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby OSU819903 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:02 pm

The guys on ESPN's First Take said he would be out at least 18 months. But they also said that his website is reporting that he will be back by next season. I would take that to mean the Masters but who knows. And yes, this news makes the US Open even more amazing. It will go down in lore as the guttiest Golf performance of all time; if not the guttiest performance in any sport of all time.
OSU819903

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Unread postby DarNoor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:34 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote: Hopefully Skip Bayless will quit calling him a faker.

I hate that guy with every fiber of my being. How that idiot got on tv i will never known. Oh! Did i mention that i really hate that guy?
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Bayless is scum. I refuse to watch E$PN whenever that hack is on.

I had wondered if there wasn't more to it than just recovery from cleaning out cartilage. I had that procedure 15 years ago, and I bounced back fairly quickly...although I'll admit I don't put nearly as much strain on my knee during a swing as Tiger does.

But it still seemed like he had more problems with it than you'd see from that type of surgery...and it turns out there was a LOT more. ACL tear and a double stress fracture in his left tibia.

What a beast.

Unread postby Lubber » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:54 pm

Speaking from experience ( I had ACL surgery on Jan 11th of this year), he will not be able to golf for at least 4 months after sugery, and even then he will not have full strength in his knee for 6-8 months after surgery.

Not sure how the stress fractures will affect his play, but I believe those will heal much faster than a torn ACL.

Could you imagine if this was leaked prior to the Open how the media would of overplayed it each day?
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby pfischbach24 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:58 pm

According to the article on SI.com about the injury, it states he suffered it right after the British Open last year. To win all those tournaments afterwards up through now is phenomenal and in my opinion not repeatable for any athlete. Amazing.
pfischbach24

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:38 pm

No lower than 5th since the injury. Maybe he should just rest and let the tibia heal and not worry about the torn ACL. Didn't seem to be effecting him before the surgery.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:38 pm

No trip to Firestone this year then :-( :sad: :(
mikebrownz26

Favorite Player: Phil Dawson
Least Favorite Player: Scott Stewart

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:40 pm

BTW you can all but chalk up another Ryder Cup victory for the Euros now.
mikebrownz26

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:42 pm

mikebrownz26 wrote:BTW you can all but chalk up another Ryder Cup victory for the Euros now.

Unless Tiger is such a dick to his teammates that they play worse with him there. Could be an interesting debate, should the Americans play well.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby pfischbach24 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:45 pm

mikebrownz26 wrote:No trip to Firestone this year then :-( :sad: :(

Also another casualty affected from this news. I imagine I will attend the practice rounds, but I cannot imagine shelling $50 (or $60) to not witness Tiger Woods.
pfischbach24

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:48 pm

pfischbach24 wrote:
mikebrownz26 wrote:No trip to Firestone this year then :-( :sad: :(

Also another casualty affected from this news. I imagine I will attend the practice rounds, but I cannot imagine shelling $50 (or $60) to not witness Tiger Woods.

The weeklong ticket was $125, a good deal considering free parking (albeit high prices for food and miniscule cups of Michelob).

Glad I held off on buying tickets until there was word if Tiger was going to actually be there. Its just not worth the trip if he isn't.
mikebrownz26

Unread postby furls » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 pm

every win that any player gets this year should get an asterisk. I won't even tune in until next year now because without Tiger it really isn't a real tour.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:11 pm

Plenty of chatter down here out of Woods' base in Orlando. Apparently his doctors told him not to participate in the US Open. He was supposed to be on crutches for three weeks.

A lot of chatter about when he comes back and how he comes back. Can his left leg still take his violent swing. Some of the teaching pros and sports medicine guys are saying that his days of the long drives might be over. More dire people are predicting that he might not be able to come back - at least not as the same player.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:05 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Plenty of chatter down here out of Woods' base in Orlando. Apparently his doctors told him not to participate in the US Open. He was supposed to be on crutches for three weeks.

A lot of chatter about when he comes back and how he comes back. Can his left leg still take his violent swing. Some of the teaching pros and sports medicine guys are saying that his days of the long drives might be over. More dire people are predicting that he might not be able to come back - at least not as the same player.

He's definetely longer off the tee but this Open showed me that he might be the best "shot-saver" around. I seriously still can't get over the 200 yard sand-shot from the other hole's bunker that he got closer than Rocco's shot on, I believe, 15, and on 1 leg no less. Just... wow.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:17 pm

Bye Bye Firestone....Would you buy $50 tickets to a Cavs game if you knew Lebron James wasn't going to play :roll :roll:

I'm not a fair weather fan by any stretch of the imagination, but if your spending all that money on something, you should get to see the best of the best.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Return to The 19th Hole