Text Size

The 19th Hole

U.S. Open

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:13 pm

This entire thing is just insane.

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:14 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Which hole do they play for sudden death?

7-8-18

repeat

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks, Mitch. Is that decided randomly or is their a certain reasoning for 7-8-18?
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:17 pm

Damn, Rocco = Done.

That sucks, what a great showing though.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby The Score » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:18 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Thanks, Mitch. Is that decided randomly or is their a certain reasoning for 7-8-18?

I'm guessing they make a circle-type pattern from green to tee for each successive hole.
The Score

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Good effort Rocco, losing to Tiger is not the worst thing that can happen to a pro golfer.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:23 pm

What a tournament. WOW.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:28 pm

Rocco needs to hole a 20 footer to stay alive. Got a good break getting a drop there.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:29 pm

That might have been....

Greatest.

Major.

Ever.

(at least in most of our lifetimes)

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:30 pm

I really wanted that putt to fall.

I hate seeing a tourney won b/c one guy had a bad hole, I'd much rather see both players shoot a good hole and one have to out do the other instead of just hanging on.

Oh well, great U.S. Open.

FUDU

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:31 pm

Damn! What a tournament!

The set up, the course, the personalities involved ... just don't get any better than that.

I love golf.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:38 pm

Is it just me or do the celebs children seem to skip half the aging process. Tiger's girl is already freakin 2 or 3, WTF wasn't she just born 8 months ago? Semms like a soap opera baby.

FUDU

Unread postby tribefan333 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:38 pm

Awesome for Tiger, I'm pumped.

But I almost wish Rocco would have won that. I rooted for Tiger until the moment after Rocco missed it. What a great guy, it was his life long dream to win this, he's 45, he barely made it, and he played unbelievable golf but came up short. Made himself proud for sure - something to hang his hat on. Just wish he could have won it.

But, awesome for Tiger - #14! Hopefully Rocco gets another shot.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:43 pm

So if Tiger wins today his career earnings will put him over the $82 million mark. Where does that put caddie Steve Williams on that PGA Tour career money list?

If you factor in a very conservative estimate of five percent (though most caddies get 10 percent for a win and 7.5 for a top-10 -- and most of Tiger's results are wins or top-10s) and remember that Mike "Fluff" Cowan was Woods' caddie for his first few years as a pro, it's easy to estimate that Williams is somewhere around 200th on the all-time money list. Then again, for a guy who donated $1 million to charity last year, I'm guessing it could be a lot higher.

Stevie would be ahead of Trevino and Johnny Miller on the all-time money list. :lol: Golf's grown a bit huh?
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:43 pm

IMO the best moment of the Open was after 18 on Sunday Rocco said he never wished for Tiger to miss the putt, that is the summation of Rocco IMO.

A lot of golfers may be like that but many are not, and none ever say that.

He is a fantastic runner up.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:47 pm

FUDU wrote:Is it just me or do the celebs children seem to skip half the aging process. Tiger's girl is already freakin 2 or 3, WTF wasn't she just born 8 months ago? Semms like a soap opera baby.

From Jason Sobel's live blog on ESPN. Woods's daughter is just now one-year old FUDU. No soap opera aging yet.

Interesting that Woods is in a playoff one year after missing a birdie putt on the final hole at Oakmont that would have forced one with Angel Cabrera. Had Tiger shot one stroke better last year, there's no telling what would have happened on Monday, as his wife, Elin, was giving birth to their daughter Sam that day.

Said Woods just a few weeks after that: "That didn't happen, so it would be all hypothetical. I'm not going down that road."
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:20 pm

Awesome front page article by Mitch posted on the Open ...

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:33 am

I'm no fan of golf and am one of those people that is tired of hearing about Tiger Woods. I realize that he is the greatest player in his sport and probably the best to ever play the game. I just grow tired of hearing about it, though I respect Tiger for his ability and work ethic. He's an amazing player.

I don't like golf nor do I watch it, but as Sunday wore on I did start paying attention and I was riveted today. It doesn't make me want to go out and play or even really watch golf regularly, but this US Open was a tremendous sporting event - one of the best I've ever seen in any sport. Just fun to watch over the past few days as these guys fought it out. Too bad there isn't someone who can regularly challenge Tiger.

I was definitely rooting for Rocco. It would have been hard not to. What a great story that was, even ending up finishing in second place. To fight with Tiger Woods over that many holes and keep up is most impressive and most of us love underdogs.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:58 am

FUDU wrote:Slow start for Tigger.

IMO though the media, announcers mostly, are making too big a deal of his knee, speculating too much that is is really hurting him right now.

I think it is naive to assume he is really bothered by it. Yeah he is human but he is also Tiger and a pro golfer, who gets just as good a treatment for stuff as anyone. There maybe a few shots that he tweaks it and feels some pain but just b/c the guy hangs his head after a swing doesn't equate to physical pain, it's Tiger for God sake, he hangs his head on great shots if he isn't happy with em.

IMO the media is buttering up its audience for an exucse if Tiger doesn't hang on, an excuse that Tiger would never bring up himself.

Knees are a tricky part of the body. Yes I am sure he gets the best treatment available, but the amount of torque and pressure put on a knee during some of those swings has to cause some pain. I just had ACL knee surgery in January and I have started back on the course about a month ago. Walking 18 was tough especially the last few holes. Now, do that 5 days in a row, and include some shots in deep rough with uneven stances and I am sure Tiger was in sever pain for some of those.

He is definitely not the exaggerator that Lebron is.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:11 am

Rocco hung tough with the best in the world for 90 holes, then let one bad hole undue him. Still a great story and I think, overall, that Mediate played better than Tiger. If not for Tiger's ridiculous saving shots out of the rough and sand (that one from 200 yards out onto the green was magical) he wouldn't have even made it to the playoff.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby yogi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:23 pm

Great Tournament.

I like Tiger and happy he won but rooted for Rocco, who seems like a really nice guy and probably will never have this chance to win a major again.

One thing continued to bug me all week and Mithc brought it up throughout his terrific article.

Tiger playing hurt and with a bad knee.

I know. I KNOW!

Let's pretend it was a boxing match on Monday and lets see the "Tale of the Tape"!

Every single friggin physical matchup would go to Tiger.

Rocco plays with a bad back. Nary a mention. Tiger hits it 330-350 yards every time. Rocco's best is 265.

Tiger is in his prime, about 30 years old I think. Rocco is an old 45.

Give Tiger credit for winning his 14th major, he deserves it. But let's stop with the talk of what a dis-advantage Tiger played and won with.

Remember all of his advantages.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:36 pm

Oh, I don't disagree with you at all, Yogi.

But Rocco's back is much better now, by his admission. Gotta be, because when it isn't right, he's off the tour for months at a time...he's even talked about retiring before given how bad it was.

I think that the knee keeps getting the press because it was obvious to everyone how it was impacting Tiger. He may have been hitting it long, but he was spraying drives like his last name was Cyrus or something.

The amazing part was how well he scrambled.

Hit the ball in a fairway bunker on the 9th hole when you're teeing off the 15th?

No biggie...still hits the green in regulation.

Phil was just as bad off the tee as Tiger...the difference between winning and finishing 18th was what you did afterwards.

The sad thing is that this may have been the last we see of Tiger until perhaps the PGA Championship.

When Tiger first decided to get the surgery, he was insisting that he WOULD play in the U.S. Open. Now...he's coming right out and saying that he doesn't know if he'll be able to play in the British Open.

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:05 pm

Mitch wrote:The sad thing is that this may have been the last we see of Tiger until perhaps the PGA Championship.

Hopefully his knee will be healthy enough for him to come to Akron to try and four-peat at Firestone, the week before the PGA. I go every year but probably wouldn't even bother buying tickets if Tiger isn't going to come.
mikebrownz26

Favorite Player: Phil Dawson
Least Favorite Player: Scott Stewart

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:24 pm

mikebrownz26 wrote:
Hopefully his knee will be healthy enough for him to come to Akron to try and four-peat at Firestone, the week before the PGA. I go every year but probably wouldn't even bother buying tickets if Tiger isn't going to come.

It shouldn't be a problem is the nearer future, but I listened to a teaching pro on local sports radio from up in Orlando - a guy that has actually played and worked with Tiger in the past - that has a Masters in something associated with sports medicine or something like that. He basically said that Tiger's aggressive swing puts far too much pressure on his left knee and whole leg and that he wasn't sure he'd be able to play competitively much past 40 unless he changes his swing to take pressure off the left leg.

Any thoughts on that from you golfers out there?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Previous

Return to The 19th Hole