Text Size

The 19th Hole

U.S. Open

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

U.S. Open

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:03 am

My favorite of all majors hands down, mainly b/c of how difficult they make the course. IMO that is what it is all about at this level of golf. Helps us amateurs relate a whole lot more.

Funniest thing about today's first day is the talk of Tiger not putting up a good showing, can he handle the grueling course coming off a real knee injury etc...and dude is only 4 back. Bunch of morons, you never ever ever ever write Tiger off, especially after 18 holes.

I can see him within 2 strokes late Saturday.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby SteveR » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:38 am

I think one of the interesting things of day 1 was Phil not going with a driver in his bag ,saying he could hit it straighter yet not as far with a 3 wood.
..Sounds like me.
SteveR

Unread postby DarNoor » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:34 pm

I think the question is, how many OVER is it going to take to win?
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:25 pm

Eldrick is putting on quite a show on his second nine (the front nine) right now.
mikebrownz26

Favorite Player: Phil Dawson
Least Favorite Player: Scott Stewart

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:42 pm

mikebrownz26 wrote:Eldrick is putting on quite a show on his second nine (the front nine) right now.

Damn straight he is. Looked really average over his first 10 holes. Just got done tellin my buddy it didn't look like he could get it done this week ... then he just dialed it in.

Birdies 1, 2, hits a bomb putt for birdie at 4, another big breaker birdie putt at 5.

Mickleson carrying six wedges ... thats crazy. Must see TV seeing these two paired together.

Gotta love Rocco, hopefully he can stay in this thing. Need Appleby to win for my fantasy golf league.

Wife asks me a couple days ago, "what do you want to do for fathers day?"

Me: "I want to sit on my ass and watch the US Open from 11 AM to 7 PM."
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:21 pm

I figured I'd wait until a US Open thread popped up. I thought some of the hardcore golfers might find this interesting.

If you've ever have watched golf tournaments on TV or in person you always see the players caddies with a little yardage book. These books are the most detailed you can find anywhere (way more detailed than the little colorful productions you often find in clubhouses). They are created by a former PGA tour caddie named George Lucas, who currently owns a monopoly in the yardage book business (although Fred Funk's caddie is starting to challenge him). Anyway, they make cool little trinkets to collect.

Anyways, these are extremely hard to obtain and I just got my hands on one from Torrey Pines. Here are some photos of it. Sorry for the crappy quality camera. Its new and I have no real idea how to adjust lighting, etc. For some weird reason, Photobucket doesn't want to flip the first image rightside up.

mikebrownz26

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:35 pm

That's sweet MB.

30 for Tiger on the front (his second nine).

Real cool watching live major championship golf at night.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:20 am

For the life of me I cannot understand how somebody can route against Tiger, my buddy does which is why I bring it up.

The dude is sick, just plain sick.

Even as an uninterested casual fan of the sport, is there such a thing, one has to respect not only his talent but his approach and dedication with that much talent.

Nothing better in the world outside of the NFL and MLB than a Sunday with Tiger in the middle of everything.

My bad, I said Saturday he'd be with in two.

FUDU

Unread postby DarNoor » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:00 am

I had to go to bed early last night because of work. I was watching before i fell asleep, and Tiger was +1. I wake up and he is -2. If he stays around even, i think he wins. I don't see anyone being under par.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:13 pm

That back nine by Tiger was simply amazing. Thats all that needs to be said.
mikebrownz26

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:18 pm

Unbelievable.

6 back on 14. Wheels fall off the wagon for Rocco. Tiger chips in on 17. Guts out a gorgeous 5 wood approach on the par 5 18, clearly straining the knee in the process. And drops the putt from 30 feet for an eagle to take the lead going into Sunday.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby tastybrownies » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:24 pm

All I can say is WOW! I've watched quite a lot of golf and that may be the best round of golf I've ever seen.

Let's just hope Tiger can gut it out tomorrow and get that major, let's go!
tastybrownies

Favorite Player: Brian Hoyer
Least Favorite Player: Aroldis Chapman

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:47 pm

Tiger is a nut sack plain and simple.

He is making the efforts of a Michael Jordan look stupid in comparison. I know it is difficult to compare the two and their respective trades but golf is the most difficult sport to excel at and it is very individualistic, MJ has nothing on Tiger.

Unless Tiger rapes and pillages a village any time soon I'll be pulling for him to win every time.

FUDU

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:56 am

I have two media-type friends covering the open (one does color for XM Radio, the other a writer for north county times), and I hadn't even paid attention to what was going on. I felt bad the one guy called me tonight to ask how his kid did (I was running Little League tryouts) and started talking about a couple of Tiger's shots and I was completely oblivious.

You guys are hardcore into golf, I almost never watch. I haven't picked up a club since I was about 22, and I figure I won't again until the kids are out of school because I'll be damned if I want to pay green fees for them. Seems like we are always playing baseball or else too tired.

I'd figured I'd watch some of the extended local coverage though I have just have to say wow. The crowd was excellent and Tiger's fist-pumping was playing right to it.
dmiles

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:20 am

I just sat and watched ESPN replay. You can't be a sports fan and not get excited watching that stuff. Those multiple angles of the shots with the crowd in the backdrop were outstanding. I'd get a kick out of the one or two guys who just knew it was going in, and got the hands up first, followed by the masses.

Really cool stuff, and if I hadn't been dorking around at TCF, I wouldn't have thought to watch it. Props dooods...
dmiles

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:32 pm

Slow start for Tigger.

IMO though the media, announcers mostly, are making too big a deal of his knee, speculating too much that is is really hurting him right now.

I think it is naive to assume he is really bothered by it. Yeah he is human but he is also Tiger and a pro golfer, who gets just as good a treatment for stuff as anyone. There maybe a few shots that he tweaks it and feels some pain but just b/c the guy hangs his head after a swing doesn't equate to physical pain, it's Tiger for God sake, he hangs his head on great shots if he isn't happy with em.

IMO the media is buttering up its audience for an exucse if Tiger doesn't hang on, an excuse that Tiger would never bring up himself.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:45 pm

To be fair though he does react in an exaggerated manner, I just don't see him as the dramatic type.

Am I under estimating the grind of this tourney?

FUDU

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:52 pm

6.2 miles to walk this course. Also, the shots from Open rough put a lot of pressure and torque on the knees.

Assuming he's taking a shot of some sort pre-round. Yesterday, it looked like the knee bothered him a lot more on the back, as if the effects of a pain shot were wearing off.

Looks like the knee is really bothering him on the front today. Could be the effects of five straight rounds, including Wednesdays practice round. Could be drama. Who knows. He's struggling right now though. Hasn't even sniffed a look at a birdie.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:04 pm

He'd better hope that he doesn't end the day tied for first.
mikebrownz26

Unread postby tribefan333 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:15 pm

Let's go TIGER!

It's hard to root against Rocco though.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:40 pm

Has to be hard for Rocco, two guys left on the 72nd hole, that both have 4 shots each to tie this up, and one of them is Tiger.

Odds in Rocco's favor but any good shot diminishes those odds considerably.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:47 pm

Sheesh, leaves him self a makable 10 footer for a birdie to tie.

If you had $100 to bet what would you say?

I'd say he's gonna hole it, matter of fact I am saying he will hole it.

FUDU

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:56 pm

Does sports drama get any more intense?

Seriously?
mikebrownz26

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:25 pm

What a finish. Gotta love The Open.

Really feel for Rocco. Tiger missing that putt would have changed his life in so many ways. He deserved it. One of the most likable guys not only in golf, but in all of sports. Hes toast tomorrow.

Great, great finish to a major tough, after a string of mostly anti-climactic ones.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:30 pm

Really feel for Rocco. Tiger missing that putt would have changed his life in so many ways. He deserved it. One of the most likable guys not only in golf, but in all of sports.

He's from Western PA.

F him.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:40 pm

Swerb wrote:
Hes toast tomorrow.

I'm not completely convinced. If Tiger stumbles on the opening holes like he's done almost every round, Rocco could get spotted a 2-3 stroke lead.

I think Rocco's attitude works towards his benefit here. I still think Tiger pulls it out with the 2 birdie-able par 5's on the back nine. Also, if they put the tees on 14 up like they were today that plays into Rocco's benefit. But this won't be a blowout.

How would you like to be somebody who attended all four rounds at Torrey Pines only to have to go back to work Monday?
Last edited by mikebrownz26 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikebrownz26

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:40 pm

Go Dawgs.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Go Cowboys.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:58 pm

your a dush
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby tribefan333 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Man that last shot and putt for Tiger was INTENSE! I was fist pumpin' and the crowd reaction was insane. What a putt.

I'm soooooo happy I have tomorrow off and get to enjoy one on one for a Major Championship.

Again - Rocco is such a nice guy, but Tiger's the man!
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:01 pm

The crowd for today's playoff is absolutely enormous. Great for the game of golf.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:17 pm

Rocco falls one back, then almost makes a hole in one on 3. He birdies, Tiger bogeys .... Rocco up one. Then Rocco bogeys #5.

All tied up through 5 holes.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:44 pm

Tiger birdies 6 and 7 ... up two.

Rocco needs to stem the momentum here.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:53 pm

This live streaming is ridiculously cool. Amazingly, little to no effect on my productivity either. :lol:
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:This live streaming is ridiculously cool. Amazingly, little to no effect on my productivity either. :lol:

All I can say ... is thank you Al Gore.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:04 pm

Swerb wrote:
Hi Oktane wrote:This live streaming is ridiculously cool. Amazingly, little to no effect on my productivity either. :lol:

Al Gore invented golf? :P :-P :razz:
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:
Swerb wrote:

Al Gore invented golf? :P :-P :razz:

He called it 'gof' without the L.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:30 pm

Tell you what, Tiger's lucky he's playing an unranked player this afternoon.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby pup » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:45 pm

Think Tiger is wearing the same red shirt as yesterday?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Pup wrote:Think Tiger is wearing the same red shirt as yesterday?

Perhaps. Guessing he doesn't usually pack for a 5th day.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:
Pup wrote:Think Tiger is wearing the same red shirt as yesterday?

Perhaps. Guessing he doesn't usually pack for a 5th day.

The Nike rep who's job is to follow him like a stalker probably hooked him up with something new and clean. And probably something tall and blonde if he wanted that.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:18 pm

I know the Mediate family located on the west side of Cleveland, hard to root against him, but hard to root for Tiger to fail also.

I disagree with the comment above about Tiger being lucky he is playing an unranked player today. Tiger has shown time and time again, no matter how good the opponent he has a mental effect on them that is unprecedented.

Rocco drops a huge beauty on 14....wanna bet Tiger matches him.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:36 pm

Woods down 1 with 2 holes to play.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:38 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Woods down 1 with 2 holes to play.

The 18th should be advantage: Tiger.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Woods down 1 with 2 holes to play.

The 18th should be advantage: Tiger.

Should be a great finish.

Again.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:52 pm

What is amazing to me is two guys at this level, particularly Tiger, have those specific holes that give them mental fits, every time.

Each have two holes on this course that for some reason they cannot land a drive into the fairway. That really relates to the game of some of us amateurs.

There is a par 4 on Big Met (the course I have probably golfed more than any other in my life) that I have only been on in regulation once in all my times there. WTF?

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:58 pm

He didn't clear the water by much.

BTW would some body shoot "Get in the hole" guy already.

It's funny on the first hole for the first tee time of the day, after that enough.

FUDU

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:11 pm

Amazing! Sudden death!

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:11 pm

Jesus.

Rocco did himself no favors with his birdie putt. Heart rate had to be about 160 for the par try.

Sudden death. Though you could argue it was already that when they both reached the green at 18.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:12 pm

Which hole do they play for sudden death?
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Next

Return to The 19th Hole