Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

The Beer Thread

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

The Beer Thread

Unread postby swerb » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:31 pm

1. What is in your fridge right now?

2. You can only drink one beer for the next 365 days. What do you pick?

3. You have $8 to your name and need a 12 pack. What is your cheap beer of choice?

4. Do you drink different beers for different occassions? For example, is there a beer you prefer to drink out on the patio while watching a tribe game, but another you prefer to hanker down with on the couch after a big meal while watching a good movie?

5. Bottled, on draft, or in the can? And why?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:41 pm

The Great Lakes sampler, and a six pack and a half of GL Christmas Ale, which I have been hooked on for the last 2-3 months. A couple one bullet in the chamber canned Miller Lites in the back in case I ever need to scrape the fridge.

Hmmm ... I'd have to say Dortmunder Gold. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Burning River Pale Ale, and Blue Moon would also warrant serious consideration.

3. You have $8 to your name and need a 12 pack. What is your cheap beer of choice?

Michelob Light in the can.

4. Do you drink different beers for different occassions? For example, is there a beer you prefer to drink out on the patio while watching a tribe game, but another you prefer to hanker down with on the couch after a big meal while watching a good movie?

I am all about the seasonal beers and different beers for different occassions. I've been on a steady diet of Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale, and then Great Lakes Christmas Ale since golf season ended.

I love draft beer, but it generates nasty hangovers. When I upgrade from a condo to a house in the spring, a keggerator will be one of my first purchases.

Currently, I try and always avoid canned beer except at tailgates and other outdoor events ... though I always keep an emergency six pack in the back of the fridge. Bottled beer poured into a frozen mug is my modus operanti.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:44 pm

1)Miller Lite and Corona
2)Corona
3)Miller Lite
4)No
5)Bottle

Unread postby swerb » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:57 pm

I can't drink Corona in the winter.

Love it in the summer. And when I'm drinking to get drunk, nothing goes down quicker/smoother.

Miller Lites my other cheap beer, I usually rotate between that and Mich Light.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby docstank » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:30 pm

Nice summer patio beer is Red Stripe, Jamaica man!
docstank

Unread postby mswerb » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:50 pm

Hooray Beer!!!!
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Re: The Beer Thread

Unread postby The Score » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:01 pm

1. Only beer that people left at my house... some bud light, bud heavy, miller lite, and Sam light. Also, there is some Guinness but it's only for car bombs.

2. I'd say Miller High Life or even Milwaukee's Best Light. Either way, something cheap that tastes like water and is really good ice cold. Nothing thick and syrupy.

3. Same as #2 I guess. Keystone Light is also a good one.

4. No. I'm against anything thick and syrupy. If I'm drinking beer then I'm all for something that will go down as smoothly for number 8 or 12 as it does for number 1. If I need something more, there's always liquor.

5. Draft, by far.
The Score

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:31 pm

Very good ... just had this for the first time tonight. If you like Blue Moon, and like lime, you'll like this.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Lebowski » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:49 pm

Anyone ever try Hoegaarden (sp?)

I had it for the first time at a bar a few weeks back, and just picked up a sixer.

Its pretty damn good. Belgium white beer.

Anyone?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Sam Adams sampler pack, Heineken special dark, and a sixer of High Life.

Heineken special dark. It is a bit hard to find, but is a very good beer. I do not care much for Heineken (regular) but I love this beer. I also like St. Pauly's Girl dark too.

Miller High Life, then I still have enough for two twix bars, and a pack of beer nuts! I love the High Life and I drink it any time I want a beer and I am sweating or hot in any way. An ice cold high life after mowing the lawn or shooting hoops in the driveway with my son is the epitomy of the best that life can bring. It is interesting to note that I HATE ALL OTHER MILLER BEERS. I drink Miller Lite in cans at tailgates (as swerb can verify) because it looks like a can of pepsi under a cozey (while hiding an open container).

ABSOULETLY, to not do so would be savagery.

If I am going to a nice restaurant for dinner: Guiness and Bass black and tan.
After yardwork, or on hot days outside: Miller High Life
Watching a movie with the wifer: She drinks Lambrusco I drink Heineken Sp. Dark
Watching sports by myself: Killian's
SItting on the patio, at the beach, or BBQing: Dos Equis or Tecate (one of two beers I drink from a can).
Favorite Seasonals: Sam Adam's Summer Ale or Cherry Wheat
Winter Time By the Fire: Guiness (in a can)

Bottled almost all the time. Only time I get drafts is when there is a really good drink special. It is really frustrating when you spend 4.00 on a draft only to discover that the idiot behind the bar has no idea how to pour it or getting a quasi-flat (or over pressurized) keg. I hate stale keg beer. If I have a bar that frequent and I know the bartender is competent then I prefer drafts, but in general I take the safe route.

I stopped drinking beer from cans when I stopped punching holes in the side of them to drink from.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Lebowski » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:18 pm

- Miller Lite bottles and Great Lakes Blackout Stout (thought I'd give it a try...not that impressed)

- Boddington's

- Probably Miller Lite...its my go-to

- Yeah, summer beers -- Corona, Pete's Strawberry Blonde (great beer!), Miller High Life; winter -- Guiness, Killians, Dortmunder Gold

- I prefer bottled...but I'm not very picky.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:49 pm

I have had Hoegaarden, not too bad. I tried a Fat Tire for the first time last week in Chicago, excellent. Trust me, it does not taste like rubber.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby Wolfy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:20 pm

Swerb wrote:1. What is in your fridge right now?

1. Mich Light (12 pack-bottle)
2. St. Pauly Girl
3. Coors/ 40oz of Bud if I'm really hurting.
4. Black and Tan/ Dortmunder Gold/ XXX if im feeling crazy.
Wolfy

Unread postby General » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:31 am

Lent...no beer. Help!!!!
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:46 am

General wrote:Lent...no beer. Help!!!!

Ouch. Good thing I'm a bad catholic.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby General » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:51 am

Halfway point has been achieved. Closer to the end than to the beginning.
General

Unread postby Jumbo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:31 pm

1. Sam Adams sampler
2. Smithwick's
3. Bud Light - don't know why, just prefer it over the rest.
4. Definitely
5. Usually draft.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:11 pm

Jumbo, I actually drank Smithwick's for the very first time last week at Flannerys before a Cavs game. Very good. Especially with a big bowl of Irish stew and some good bread.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:27 pm

I see no love for my choice of beers, Natty Light. It's cheap, deliciously watery, and I always am well-stocked with it in can form at my house.

Corona is my beer of choice for big weekend sporting events in front of the big screen, for reasons I cannot explain. Always with lime.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby sandlot33 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:03 pm

1. Coors Lite
2. Christmas Ale
3. Coors Lite
4. no i will drink anything anytime except dark beers..and i have to slug at leats 4 or 5 cherry bombs...errr herrlibombs as my friends call me
5. 32oz draft...there is nothin better
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby Wolfy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:49 am

Natty Light could be one of the worst products ever sold...yuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
Wolfy

Unread postby Wolfy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:50 am

Christmas Ale...Yummy...good call!
Wolfy

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:51 am

John Wolf wrote:Christmas Ale...Yummy...good call!

Wolf, Im with you and sandlot on the XMas ale ...

viewtopic.php?t=909
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Wolfy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:37 pm

Nice...I thought the St. Pauli Girl would get more love...maybe ya'll havent had it?
Wolfy

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:07 pm

John Wolf wrote:Nice...I thought the St. Pauli Girl would get more love...maybe ya'll havent had it?

No, I like it. Good beer.

I'll be honest though, it's been a while since I had it.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:43 pm

Ouch. Good thing I'm a bad catholic.

I gave up catholicism for lent.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:49 pm

Great beer I had for the 1st time this weekend ...

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Eric » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:45 pm

chris weizers beverage of choice

Ernie Camacho for President
Eric

Unread postby cweiz32 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:53 am

No..I prefer Bartles and James Eric. Your favorite is Zima.
cweiz32

Favorite Player: LeBron
Least Favorite Player: Whines Hard

Unread postby TonyBagadonuts » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:00 pm

Swerbie, I know you're a fan - one of the nice things about the Windy City:

TonyBagadonuts

Favorite Player: Frank Pentangeli
Least Favorite Player: Sam Gravano

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:26 am

Swerb wrote:1. What is in your fridge right now?

1. Grolsch, Sam Adams White. Mich Lite (wife's)

2. SA Boston Lager. Had my first in 1985 and it just never gets old to me. Elliott Ness is a very, very close second.

3. Too easy. Should made it $ 8 and you need a case! LOL. Freakin' Old School C-town Stroh's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybeeeeeeeeee. My dead grandpa loved it, my dead uncle loved it, and so do I. Wish the can were still Purdue U colors. Fire brewed, bitches (I have no idea what that means). Close 2nd is PBR. Get it cold enough and who gives a fuck?

4. Absolutely, but I'm more a seasonal guy that an event guy, with one exception. If your beer illiterate wife/girlfriend looks at you funny when you reach for number 4 or 5, then try Molson XXX. You get a 6 pack buzz on 3 with the content. It's a win - win.

In the summer on a hot day, I love the pilseners and wheat beers. Clean and really crisp. Like an Urquel or a Grolsch or ever a St Pauli or Becks. I've also discovered some of the small Mom & Pop breweries. There's one in N Central PA called Straubs that makes an all grain beer. Most people I know hate it. Put it in an ice chest for a day when it's 90 degrees and start poppen' 'em after doing something active and it's awesome.

Winter? Love the porter's and stouts. Is there anything better than Muni Lot at 7:30 am, snow storm, and alternating Guiness and E Fitgerald's unitl 12pm every 15 - 30 minutes along with as much deep fried food as you can shove in your cake hole? Nothing gets you ready to get into the stadium and be let down by a shitty effort like that ritual. :twisted: :evil:

Love the Canadian Skunk, too. Molson Canadian & Moosehead are my standards. Golden & laBatt's are OK.

I do dig the cheap American beers on occasion, and consider myself a conneseur of crap. Shaeffer, RW & Blue, Weideman, Blatz, Hamms, Goebel, Little Kings, Genny beer, Milwaukee's best, Schlitz, PBR, Strohs; anything with more heart than The Beast or Keystone. It hurts so good and reminds me of when I was cash strapped. At the end of the month, hunting for loose change so you could get enough Kohler pounders at Rays in Kent to get a buzz was a way of life for a few years. I almost get notsagic for that when I hit the store with the all powerful plastic in hand and I have no limits.

For old time's sake I also like a Budweiser from time to time, and a Coors. it's just good old plain American, like eating a Big Mac.

I hate anything Miller Brewing has ever made other than High Life. High Life is a good, honest, American soda pop like Bud. I'd drink MGD if it was the only thing that gets you drunk tho. It's not beer - it's rice syrup.

Lastly, love the good beer store and trying singles from all over, esp the regional shit. Erie PA has some good, intresteing shit lately.

I'm of Irish descent, and my peeps are from County Mayo. So I don't "get" other people. I drink a lot of fuckin' beer and believe it is pointless to have less than about 4 in one sitting, minimum. Its like a smoker taking one toque and grinding out the stick AFAIC. It's like taking one bite out a fillet and tossing it to the dog. I'd rather drink diet Coke than have "a beer", esp if I have to do the driving. I'm serious. I can enjoy one glass of good ass dago red chianti with pasta, or one bourbon or one scotch or one martini, and be completely satisfied, but never one beer. Gotta savor quantity to the point where others who just don't know think it's a binge; about 7 - at least. You know how it is when you have that first one and it's so damn good yer in a beer zen zone and you just know it's 5PM somewhere and whatever else you THOUGHT was important just isn't ? Fuck tea-totlers. But I don't get to do it as much as before I had kids. Maybe only a few times a year. Someday, they'll grow up and move out. So I got that goin for me, which is nice. Maybe my son will ever buy a round someday. And no, I don't beat my family and live with Mike Webster's corpse under a bridge or have cirossis and shit....

There is never, and I mean never, any point to "lite" beer. It is Satan's spawn. So is Rolling Rock. Dumb fuck yinzer hilljack Appalachians paying top dollar for beer flavored sake. It is the Beast in a green bottle at high end AB brand prices.

5. Bottle. Always; with one exception. Get a shitload of bottles in a big ass cooler and fill that bitch with ice. Let it chill overnight so you get that 33 degree water that still has a lot of ice in it surround the brewskis and let 'em bathe in it as if they marinading and shit. Add one more bag a new ice and DAMN! Yer there. Try that with a case of Anchor Steam and tell me if that is not The Shit.

The only excption to that is at The Boneyard. I don't know WTF they do to chill their draught beer, but it is awesome. Swerb, we gotta do the boneyard on the 27th.

I can't wait till draught weekend. I'm gonna drink a lot of fuckin' beer. From the point I park my sled at the Residence Inn on Friday until I shut my eyes on Saturday, I'm gonna be slow burn sipping on a cold ass beer.

I'm out.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:29 am

That post made me well up.

Thanks for takin the time JB, and I agree on many counts.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:32 am

Swerb wrote:That post made me well up.

Thanks for takin the time JB, and I agree on many counts.

11 am on easter sunday and I wanna beer.

Ah well, war: delayed gratification.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby General » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:15 pm

First beer last night since Mardi Gras....ice cold Coors Light at a Pensacola Beach bar called The Break.....PURE HEAVEN.
General

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:29 pm

General wrote:First beer last night since Mardi Gras....ice cold Coors Light at a Pensacola Beach bar called The Break.....PURE HEAVEN.

Shit, looking outside at 4 inches and 18 degree temps makes Pensacola sound like pure heaven even without the beer. :-) :smile: :)
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby mswerb » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:16 pm

Had this in Chicago last month. I can not find it here in C-Town.
Fantastic beer.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:56 am

1. Tecate.

2. Trick question, and extremely unfair. I can't get any of the Great Lakes brews where I live, so I will leave them off the list for now. As JB so eloquently describes above, there are many ways to "drink" beer(s). The one beer for 365 then becomes a bit problematic, as you will need to select the right brand to encompass the power drinking hammer-time of a Browns-Steelers game, the weeknight Cavs playoff game where you want to consume a moderate number of high alcohol content beer, the summer (in Texas) beer that I will drink while hoping not to have an accident with power tools, and the winter by the fire beer. My current favorite is a Belgium farmhose ale Saison DuPont, but it's too heavy and expensive for year round consumption. My vote then goes to Boddington's, which will cause me to gain at least 30 pounds in a year if that were all I drank.

3. Tecate

4. Yes, I really prefer the white ales (Sam Adams, Shiner, etc) in the summer, during the day outside. Boddington's, Sam Adams, and Saison DuPont year round, but usually evening time. Tecate is the beer of choice when I am at a party and will have several. Mix in some Guiness when it gets colder, and your basic Corona and Fat Tire as a change of pace, and that's about it.

Horror of horrors - I will drink Miller Lite when forced, which is usually when it's "let's have one or two and watch a game" and the next thing you know we've plowed through a case and I'm late getting home and must be semi-lucid. Sam Adams is the best light beer around IMO, and that is a good weeknight ballgame beer when you need to get up at 5:30 the next morning.

5. Doesn't matter, but prefer bottles over cans, of course. You know, in reality there are only 4 types of beer
1. Beer
2. Cold Beer
3. Free Beer
4. And the best beer of all, Free Cold Beer
mattvan1

Unread postby mswerb » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:31 pm

Free cold beer always seems to taste better. :lol:
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu May 03, 2007 1:45 pm

None, I need to go on a grocery run after work.

Abita (SE Louisiana brewery) Amber.

Miller Lite in the 10 oz cans, aka "The Blue Angels"

I'll try seasonal brews when they are released, or ifI'm traveling I'll try to find something local to the area.

Makes it feel more official :)
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby brucestratus » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:34 am

I have doppelbock in my fridge now....if i had 8$ i would like to get a pack of budweiser...as a cheap beer choice...
brucestratus

Favorite Player: jftgj
Least Favorite Player: fy,kh,

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry