Text Size

The 19th Hole

Break it down for me

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

Break it down for me

Unread postby pup » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:16 am

I am back, baby. Picking the game up after a long layoff, which followed a few years of playing really bad, with a horrific slice, tremendous temper and zero patience.

I got the temper under control, even without the smokes :lol: .
I have become a lot more patient.

So that leaves the game itself. I need to know where to start. I got a set of Tommy Armour 845s from a co-worker, so the clubs are taken care of.

Now I need to get to a range and hit some balls. How do I start? High irons? Driver? Do I go it alone and see where I'm at, or take someone with that knows the game? How many balls do I hit the first time out? How often do I go? How long until I play a course.

Someone, spell all this out for me.

And for you smartasses that know me, shut up. Don't even start :P :-P :razz:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Break it down for me

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:55 pm

Pup wrote:I am back, baby. Picking the game up after a long layoff, which followed a few years of playing really bad, with a horrific slice, tremendous temper and zero patience.

I got the temper under control, even without the smokes :lol: .
I have become a lot more patient.

So that leaves the game itself. I need to know where to start. I got a set of Tommy Armour 845s from a co-worker, so the clubs are taken care of.

Now I need to get to a range and hit some balls. How do I start? High irons? Driver? Do I go it alone and see where I'm at, or take someone with that knows the game? How many balls do I hit the first time out? How often do I go? How long until I play a course.

Someone, spell all this out for me.

And for you smartasses that know me, shut up. Don't even start :P :-P :razz:

Where do you live Pup? Gotta be something close like Painesville CC or Briardale or a range somewhere.

I always start out either with a wedge for something nice and slow that forces you to stay down on it or with the club I like to hit the most, a 7-iron for me. Gets the stroke and confidence going. Typically I leave the woods for nearly last and fall back on the wedge and high irons to end the day for confidence sake.

I always go with a large bucket but medium is probably best because I tend to rush through a large and open a few holes in my hand.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby DarNoor » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:27 am

Glad you are picking up the game again. First of all, you picked up some really nice irons. I have been using 845's for a long time, and i love them. You might want to sign up for some leasons at your local club. A lot of places have packages you can sign up for. When you go to the range, you should have a game plan. You don't want to go and just smack balls around. Work on posture, allignment, and ball position. Don't worry to much were the ball goes. Just work on the fundamentals. Most of all, just enjoy the game.:)
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby D$ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:35 am

I would suggest starting with the 7 iron, possibly exclusively, the first time to the range. All the other clubs are small adjustments in ball position forward and backward from your 7. Since you really don't want to worry about adjustments right off the bat, the 7 iron is lofted and good for building confidence in your swing because of the ball flight it produces. As a beginner, I would definitely ask for some help about the grip. If you start with a bad grip you'll learn bad habits right away to compensate for it. Don't forget to hit the practice putting green either.
D$

Return to The 19th Hole