Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Coffee

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Coffee

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:57 pm

Any other coffee fiends out there? What do you drink?

I've been on about a 10 week Dunkin Donuts coffee bender. The whole beans ... I just put a grinder in my office. My staff and I are drinking a pound a week. We started going to the afternoon pot as of late too.

Other favorites as of late ...

Starbucks Komodo Dragon

Peet's Major Dickasons Blend

Also, Bahama Breeze in Beachwood serves Jamaican Blue Mountain (one of my favorite blends) as their house coffee. I've never been a coffee at lunch drinker ... until I found that out.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:43 pm

Pretty much the one thing I'm a snob about is coffee. I'll drink any beer, drink almost any brand of booze, etc. But coffee has to be right.

I like Peet's, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds. I don't like Arabica or most gas station brews.

I also buy it occasionally from here http://www.cafebueno.com/retailorders.html

Dominican stuff is awesome. A friend brought me home a couple pounds of coffee and about 40 freshly rolled Fuentes from down there when they went. Oh my God. I'm not sure whether the coffee or the cigars smelled better.

I got a grinder as well. Right now I have a bag of an italian blend in my fridge as well as some dark roast starbucks stuff.

So yeah. I'm into a bit as well. The best was when I lived in Phoenix for a bit. Their gas stations all have frozen coffee drinks in their slushee/icee machines.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:49 pm

I can't do cold coffee. I just can't ... not sure why.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:01 pm

I can't drink any coffee.
Mountain Dew please

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:18 pm

Dew is the bomb, I have not had a drop of coffee in my life.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Mcreek » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:58 pm

I love Fog lifter, Seattle Brew and any kind of light roast wich has the highest content of caffeine :lol:

Always had an affinity for Mcdonalds coffe as well.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:05 pm

Mcreek wrote:I love Fog lifter, Seattle Brew and any kind of light roast wich has the highest content of caffeine :lol:

Always had an affinity for Mcdonalds coffe as well.

I like McDonald's coffee also. Not sure why, but it was surprisingly much better than I expected it be.

The Eight O'Clock french roast is not bad for an everyday brew that you grind at home.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Mcreek » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:12 pm

Agreed on the 8 O'clock wich is very reasonable price wise compared to the others wich cost a fortune.

One note on the Mcdonalds, I tried to brew their brand at home and it wasn't the same quality. I used tap water, distilled and sodium free and it still wasn't as good but the dunken donuts bew at home was just as good as in the store.

One more you might like is from Denney's. IMO its the best.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby Apex777 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:35 pm

My favorite brand of coffee is Chock Full of Nuts and Folgers. I actually totally dislike Starbucks coffee, I think it's too strong and bitter. Dunkin Donuts coffee is pretty good too.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. . .Einstein
Apex777

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Mcreek wrote:Agreed on the 8 O'clock wich is very reasonable price wise compared to the others wich cost a fortune.

One note on the Mcdonalds, I tried to brew their brand at home and it wasn't the same quality. I used tap water, distilled and sodium free and it still wasn't as good but the dunken donuts bew at home was just as good as in the store.

One more you might like is from Denney's. IMO its the best.

Do you know offhand if Denny's sell theirs anywhere other than in their restaurants? Not many of those places remaining in my neck of the woods.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Chock full o nuts is the nuts, happiest day of my life when they opened a store down my block.
Taster's choice is the best as far as instant coffee goes
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:52 pm

Coffee is easily the greatest liquid substance on earth after Beer. Dunkin Donuts rules.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Mcreek » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:48 am

Denney's doesn't have there blend on the shelf but somebody said there pancake mix was but i never found it either in Ohio or Florida.

Instant coffee yuck

My grandfather used to drink that Tasters Choice wich I reffered to as Tasters Choke
Mcreek

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:10 am

I've become a McDonald's coffee addict the past few weeks. Don't know why but I have it have it every morning on my drive to work.

When I worked at a 4 star hotel in town a few years ago, I loved Illy coffee made in the French Press. Now I'd have to kick my own ass if I ever did that again.

the coffee at Cafe Dumont in NOLA went well with a bag of beignets
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby waborat » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:33 am

There is nothing better than Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica...

I'm surprised by how many people like McDonald's joe??? I drink mine black and think they have one of the worse aftertastes...

Give me Hill's Bros @ home
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:37 am

Yeah, Im not a big fan of McDonalds new coffee either. The old coffee? Loved it.

Jamaican Blue Mountain is superb. One of my old roomies back in the bachelor days, his mom worked at a coffee shop and we used to get a couple pounds a month of it. Also, Bahama Breeze in Beachwood ... one of my favorite lunch spots ... that's their house coffee.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Mcreek » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:13 pm

waborat wrote:There is nothing better than Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica...

I'm surprised by how many people like McDonald's joe??? I drink mine black and think they have one of the worse aftertastes...

Give me Hill's Bros @ home

Doesn't that Jamacain Blue Mountain java cost something like $14 dollars a pound?

Mcdonalds is the only coffee that I use a creamer in and can't drink black.

If you are really brave combine a pound of foglifter, a pound of french light roast with Duncans donut's brand and you will have no trouble getting awake in the mornings :lol:

If you have BP issues forget it.
Mcreek

Unread postby waborat » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:37 pm

Mcreek wrote:
Doesn't that Jamacain Blue Mountain java cost something like $14 dollars a pound?

Yeah, unfortunately it ranges from $15-25 lb....it's definately a treat in our home...whenever we have friends who vacation in Rasta Isle we have them pick us up some...it's usually around $5
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:40 pm

Sorry, but I'm a complete coffee snob addict. Life is too short not to go with a starbucks or seattles' best. I love the overpowering richness. It's like drinking dirt withthe after taste. I love it.

Go to marcs, grind yer own, and invest in a thermal caraffe so it doesn't cook after being brewed and you got a cost effective path to never drinking crappy coffee again.

Oh, and in a sick way I actually like taster's choice instant. You just have to like triple to dosage.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:41 pm

Starbucks Quad Grande Americano...
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:28 pm

JB wrote:Sorry, but I'm a complete coffee snob addict. Life is too short not to go with a starbucks or seattles' best. I love the overpowering richness. It's like drinking dirt withthe after taste. I love it.

Go to marcs, grind yer own, and invest in a thermal caraffe so it doesn't cook after being brewed and you got a cost effective path to never drinking crappy coffee again.

Oh, and in a sick way I actually like taster's choice instant. You just have to like triple to dosage.

That's how I am too with this stuff. I have friends and family who will drink whatever swill is run though a filter. If it's weak, old whatever, no way.

And the analogy I have for not being appalled by the instant stuff when I'm hunting or whatever is cafeteria food. Terrible shit it may be, but sometimes the instant is like eating cafetria pizza or cafeteria gravy. So bad its actually good.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:20 pm

I've never drank coffee in my life, and I've never looked back.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Joens » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:42 pm

I've never drank coffee in my life, and I've never looked back.

"Coffee drives the souls of champions."-what movie
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby comish » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:13 am

On the fly, Dunkin Donuts is the best bang-for-the-buck :!:

Just as good if you brew their brand at home :idea:

I too have become a big fan of the afternoon pot of coffee 8) :cool: 8-)
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:17 am

i hate coffee

its the tonic of the Devil

and why do chocolate manufacturers STILL make coffee flavoured sweets??

Coffee is really bad for you too
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:26 am

If I could take coffee intravenously I would!

Love the stuff, can't get enough of it...... have to have 1 cup an hour..... if I go two hours I start getting withdrawal.

I'm an espresso man most of the time...... normally just go the Illy route at home..... when in work..... cappucino, extra shot of espresso..... not from Starbucks though - way too milky...... I'm a "Pret a Manger" man (not sure if that's migrated across the pond).
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:04 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
JB wrote:Sorry, but I'm a complete coffee snob addict. Life is too short not to go with a starbucks or seattles' best. I love the overpowering richness. It's like drinking dirt withthe after taste. I love it.

That's how I am too with this stuff. I have friends and family who will drink whatever swill is run though a filter. If it's weak, old whatever, no way.

And the analogy I have for not being appalled by the instant stuff when I'm hunting or whatever is cafeteria food. Terrible shit it may be, but sometimes the instant is like eating cafetria pizza or cafeteria gravy. So bad its actually good.

Yep yep. Like any McDonalts burger.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry