Text Size

The 19th Hole

Classic Tiger Charge

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

Who will win the 2008 Masters

Poll ended at Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:08 am

Immelman
80%
Snedaker
20%
Flesch
No votes
Woods
No votes
Casey
No votes

Total votes : 5

Classic Tiger Charge

Unread postby www.ohiosgolf.com » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:08 am

I was going to write about all the charges Tiger has mounted over the years to win majors....problem is he has never won a major when trailing after 3 rounds. Everything feels set for him to make a move except the golf course. This is not the same Augusta National that Jack licked his chops over. Augusta is now more like Oakmont than Augusta and shooting 65 may be a thing of the past.
Enjoy the show, regardless of the outcome...it will be enjoyable.
www.ohiosgolf.com

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:24 am

That's a big lead for Immelman. That fact he's 6-5 and Tiger is 4-1 is proof of that. Think about it this way. Tiger was an even money favorite to win the tournament before it started. Now he's 4-1 ... but most people I talked to yesterday assume he will win today.

It's just really, really tough to break 68 on this course. Even with ideal scoring conditions like we're seeing this weekend. Soft greens and little to no wind.

Immelman is at -11. And just hitting the ball really well. Looked yesterday like he was gonna come unraveled on the front nine, missed a couple short putts. But he put it all back together and finished very strong, shooting 33 on the back.

If Tiger shoots 68 today, he needs Immelman to shoot 75 to beat him, 74 to get in a playoff with him. Casey is also playing incredible and should hold up well under today's pressure. I expect the tournament to be down to Tiger, Casey, and Immelman on the back 9. With Immelman hanging on for a narrow win.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:53 am

Keep in mind that no player has ever shot 4 rounds in the 60s at Augusta, its also supposed to be real windy today.

My prediction is that -10 will be your winning score.....of Trevor Immelman.

That said, is there anything better than a Masters Sunday with Tiger in the mix?
mikebrownz26

Favorite Player: Phil Dawson
Least Favorite Player: Scott Stewart

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:01 am

No. Nothing.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:19 am

The fact that we are even talking about Tiger this morning, after his first 3 "poor" rounds, just proves the overall point about Tiger that much more.

I wouldn't bet against Tiger today with a gun against my head.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:24 am

23 MPH winds today. I'll be very interested to see how the early guys out fare vs the course today, as the weather conditions shouldn't marekdly improve as the game goes on. Looking at a blustery day with wind and little sun to dry the greens out as the day goes on.

Immelman and Snedeker both held up incredibly well under pressure yesterday, and there was opportunities for both to come unraveled. Immelman on the front and Snedeker on the back. Both hung in tight and showed steely resolve sinking some big putts.

But today is Sunday at the Masters.

I think we're going to get a great finish, with Tiger/Casey/Immelman all right around the -10 line as the head into the final holes.

Love Sunday at the Masters.

Hate waiting till 2:30 to watch. I'd like nothing more to be watching Sandy Lyle (last place) tee it up at #1 right now.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Don't forget Flesch!

Unread postby www.ohiosgolf.com » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:49 am

Since our newspaper really specializes in covering Ohio golfers, we're watching Flesch (born in Cincy) very closely...thing I like about his chances are he's a little older, 40, and won twice late last year...what he has over Tiger is simply that he's closer to the leaders..and this lefty thing seems to be working well at Augusta of late. Go Flesch!
www.ohiosgolf.com

Return to The 19th Hole