Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Protein shakes

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Protein shakes

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:28 am

I am usually good about paying attention to what I put into my body but I recently noticed a protein shake I use has a very high % of my daily cholesterol intake.

Now I have always had good to great cholesterol so I didn't really need to pay too close attention but now that I know I am a bit apprehensive about continuing with this product.

My question is: is this common with most or all whey protein supplements?

The product I am using now claims one serving, IIRC 25 grams of protein, accounts for 23% of the daily allowance of cholesterol, couple that with the fact our bodies create 70% of our cholesterol on a daily basis and that sounds a bit concerning. Especially since it is recommended to have 2 servings a day for best results.

Not a chance I do that now knowing what I know.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:14 pm

I wouldn't cut protein because of cholesterol concerns, but then again it's been awhile since I looked into this. I remember coming to the conclusion that I should up my intake of protein. Of course I try to cut carbs other than a couple of pieces of fruit and free veggies all day, so it's likely I am off-setting, and not adding a ton of cholesterol elsewhere but in your case, I guess the answer is... it depends. Do you lift or do any kind of anaerobic (wind sprints, basketball) activity, that might require more protein than the average guy needs?

I always meant to read "the great cholesterol lie" but never got around to it.
dmiles

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:29 pm

Well my protein intake fell off for some reason, not sure why really?

Laziness in preparing or buying certain foods maybe?

Anyway I dropped some significant weight recently and it was not intentional. at least 20lbs maybe closer to 30 in roughly 7-9 months.

I was rather active and probably ate a bit less but like I said unintentionally.

So I decided I want the weight back, I look better with that 20+ lbs and I miss it on the basketball court, seeing as my vertical is long gone and my quick first step was never there and they won't be coming back I use the weight to my advantage. We're talking about me weighing 220-230 lbs as opposed to 200-205 at 6'3.75".

So I figured the best way to do it was through weights with diet and supplementing that diet with extra protein.

I determined I needed 80grams of protein a day, & was probably falling short for a stretch there by 15-20 grams. So now my plan is no less than 120 a day for a while then drop it down to around 100 more long term.

Any how I had been doing that for roughly 40 days before I noticed the high cholesterol in the supplement I have.

My family has a history of heart problems and being 35 I figure why be arrogant about something like this and say hey I'm still only 35.

Anyway while there may be truth to that book I am not willing to risk being stupid with my heart due to ignorance on the subject. Maybe cholesterol causing heart problems is in fact a myth but it still doesn't mean too much cholesterol is a good thing.

I will probably look into that book though since you brought it up.

I am just hoping that the product I am using is just high in it as compared to another whey protein product.

FUDU

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:29 pm

I dont think the cholesterol content should be much of a concern for you. All protein sources have cholesterol in them. If you are active and exercising you should be fine.

The standard for protein intake (especially when trying to build muscle) is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. So, you should be trying to get around 200 grams a day (which is a lot, I know). But if you are eating 6 meals a day thats a little more than 30 grams a meal.

Not all cholesterol you intake is bad cholesterol and if you are eating the right foods you should be okay. Just make sure to visit your doctor regularly and get check ups.

Also, be very careful with what kind of weight you add back on, especially f you have a history of heart disease. Adding muscle is great, adding fat is a death trap. Sorry for rambling
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:37 pm

I appreciate the replies folks I do, but Mac I think your approach/formula may be off?

I have always gone by this, which from what I have read and seen all over the place is pretty standard, body weight in (lbs) divided by 2.2 = weight in (kg) then take that weight in (kg) multiplied by .8 - 1.8gm/kg = protein in grams.

Me when I started this recent workout 210.

210lbs/2.2=95.5kg

95.5kg * ( .8 )= 76.5 grams of protein... low end

95.5kg * ( 1.8 )= 171.9 grams of protein....high end

Now maybe my 120 is a bit low but from this formula 200 is very high, and remember this: the maximum muscle mass the human body can add in one week is one pound. That is the upper limit of the muscle fiber's capacity to make protein into muscle; any protein beyond that is simply converted to fat. From Covert Bailey a well known nutritionist.

However this is also out there: "Several types of evidence indicate that exercise causes substantial changes in protein metabolism. In fact, recent data suggests that the protein recommended dietary allowance might actually be 100% higher for individuals who exercise on a regular basis. Optimal intakes, although unknown, may be even higher, especially for individuals attempting to increase muscle mass and strength." Dr. Lemon in Medicine and science in sports and exercise

So, in essence, the more you exercise, the greater your protein needs will be, but I am not going at this extremely hard or to become huge or uber fit.

I just found two other protein products in which their cholesterol is 15-16% per serving, so I feel better knowing it is just what I am using now apparently, which I may not finish off, I have to think about it.

Thanks for the input though.

FUDU

Unread postby Mcreek » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:53 pm

I've done much research on the protein intake per pound without getting satisfactory answers. When I started bodybuilding in 1980 the rule of thumb then was 70 Grams per day believe it or not. So now at age 47 I do what fits best for me so the 1 gram of protein per body weight works best from my experience.

I was 230 lbs a couple yrs ago at 5'-7" while training hard (6 days a week). Fortunetly for me I tore a pectoral muscle on heavy bench day or I wouldn't have discovered that I was a stroke wainting to happen. I took a physical and found out my cholestoral, blood sugar and BP were through the roof. I was tempting fate by pounding a pot of coffee in the morning and a red bull before each workout if that wasn't enough I was adding Cell Tech( loaded with sugar as a carrier) to my protein drink post workout. :roll :roll:

My Choletoral was 240, my BP was 168/110 and my blood sugar was at diabetic levels and had a pulse of 102 while relaxed sitting at home.

Starting this January I radically changed my entire routine and diet.

I ate nuthing but chicken breast, tuna, black beans , Egg Whites, brown rice and Oatmeal while drinking nuthing but water and two cups of coffee. I did however drink One post workout Synthetic protein drink : Nitrotech my favorite. Like you I was concerned about the cholestoral but the nutritionist I trust said to blow that off. I added Oatmeal and wheat germ to the drink for the cholestoral concerns, and Cinnamon for the sugar issues.

Today my weight is 205 , my body fat wich was up in the 20's is down to under 10%, Cholestoral is 160 down from 240, my blood sugar is in the 80's down from 150 and BP is a consistent 128/72.

My workout routine went from an emphasis on stength to muscle tone using a routine called crazy 8's with 30-60 second intervals on every muscle group while doing One group per day. If this routine isn't considered anerobic then I don't know what is lol
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:18 am

FUDU wrote: I just found two other protein products in which their cholesterol is 15-16% per serving, so I feel better knowing it is just what I am using now apparently, which I may not finish off, I have to think about it.Thanks for the input though.

Are you still having problems finding good supplements? Where are you shopping? I'm a bit surprised you can't find better choices. You may want to look at a product called DymaLean http://www.dymatize.com

42g protein
4g carbs
0mg cholesterol
mattvan1

Unread postby Mcreek » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:25 am

The Vitamin Shoppe is another great place for supplements. With every purchase you rack up points wich saves you money on expensive products like Muscle milk. Recently I got a 5.5 pound of Whey for about 7 bucks b/c of all the points accumulated. Much better than a GNC card you have to renew every year :roll :roll:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/i ... rce=header
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:52 pm

DU - maybe you should just try roids and andro ?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry