Text Size

No Holds Barred

City View Shopping Center

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

City View Shopping Center

Unread postby BDFD » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:00 am

I know cutting & pasting articles without linkage is frowned upon here but I have no idea who the source is nor do I have the time to look for it. I'm guessing it is from the PD or the Sun. But what is your take on this? I have been to that plaza a few times recently and every time it smelled like what a bag of smashed assholes would smell like.

Sparing me the 'Well, they can bury the landfill deep enough and vent the methane and everything will be ok...' comment, why on Earth would you build a shopping center and resturants (resturants?!) on a covered up landfill? Back in the 80's, weren't some ex-Giants players getting cancer at an unusually high rate from having to play in the Meadowlands?

GARFIELD HEIGHTS, Ohio -- A Wal-Mart store in Garfield Heights' City View Plaza has been closed because of health concerns.

The plaza is built on an old landfill and the store has been shut down indefinitely because of safety concerns for customers and associates.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Tara Stewart said an independent contractor evaluated the building and that Wal-Mart didn't like what the contractor found.

"Whatever it was, structural shift, foundation issues, sewer backup, water main, methane, electrical – lots of different things and to us, wanted to be sure what was going on in the store," said Stewart.

Earlier this month, the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency threatened to shut down City View if the owners did not step up monitoring and venting of underground explosive gases.

Wal-Mart told employees Monday that the store was closing. The mayor of Garfield Heights was told a short time later.

A representative told NewsChannel5 that the developer has made progress in making improvements and monitoring the methane gases, and at this point they believe the center is safe.

The EPA said health department officials as well as EPA workers are at the shopping center every day, monitoring the gases, and they believe that the center is safe as well.

Anyone who has prescriptions at the Garfield Heights Wal-Mart can pick them up at the Bedford location, at 22209 Rockside Road.
[url][/url]
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:49 am

my wife worked up the hill from there and thankfully she's no longer around there. Each office in her building had to get water coolers because they were told, "it's not a good idea to drink the water from the tap". The routinely had to leave the buiding because of high levels of methane and that building is located 300 yards from the shopping area. You think it smells now, you should have been around that area when they were doing the initial construction.
How anyone gave the green light to that project is beyond me.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 pm

There was controversy over this place from the get go. Methane was a concern, no matter the efforts there was talk that since there was so much more methane seeping out of the ground (due to the landfill) there could be no guarantee that somebody couldn't set the place in flames just by lighting a cigarette outside.

Simple greed is to blame here.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:03 pm

There's a reason that it's referred to as Garbage Heights.

I went to Trinity down by Granger and 480 and on hot days, the smell would just be awful, even as far as there.

There's even a phase two of the project across the street, but that's been halted as well. It's really not all that convenient for me, as I'm halfway between there and Ridge Park Square. There are two Giant Eagles that are closer. But it was convenient for the people in Garfield. It sucks for them because as you go further east out 480, the neighborhoods and shopping centers get worse and worse.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby BDFD » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:53 pm

Yes, I moved away from The Heights (Maple, that is) about 9 years ago but my ace was still living on McCracken (again, in Maple) at the time it was being developed. As far as the center of Maple Heights that rank smell could be smelled when they were razing that landfill. But hey! All the housewives in the Valley driving Hummers had could hang out at Bed Bath & Beyond after The View was over. That was the important thing I suppose.

The hilarious thing is when looking across the road from the main plaza, there is that huge mound. Everyone and their brother knows that that is a landfill, regardless if you are from the area or not. Nothing like eating at Fat Burger and seeing the dirt sarcophogus that is entobming decades of Clevelander's garbage.

Part of me wants the thing to fall flat on it's face and be turned into a DMZ (due to the greed) but at the same time, many would lose their jobs. I dunno...
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:28 pm

A bag of smashed ass holes is a perfect description. I stopped at the Dicks there last winter, and I haven't stopped back since. There was an article in the PD about 4,5 months ago about the history of the land there. Sounds like they need to find a way to trap the gas, and use the energy. I remember watching a program when I was young about some foreign folks using pig shit gas to illuminate their shacks. They might be sitting on a gold mine, if they could figure out how to control it and store it. :-) :smile: :)
WarAdmiral

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:56 am

Three things I'll never understand:
a.) Building a shopping center on top of a landfill
b.) Building a shopping center on top of 150 years of industrial pollution
c.) Building up retail when there is perfectly good retail available not that far away (i.e. the build-up at Broadview and Pleasant Valley while Parmatown and Southland have plenty of empty windows)
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Return to No Holds Barred