Text Size

No Holds Barred

The First Microchip

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

The First Microchip

Unread postby BDFD » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Today apparently is the fiftieth anniversary of the microchip. I thought this picture was pretty interesting to say the least, considering the technology that is available these days. My $100 cell phone has a faster processor and more memory than a new PC did 8 or 10 years ago...

http://gizmodo.com/5048952/the-microchip-turns-50-today-heres-the-original
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Re: The First Microchip

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:03 pm

BDFD wrote:Today apparently is the fiftieth anniversary of the microchip. I thought this picture was pretty interesting to say the least, considering the technology that is available these days. My $100 cell phone has a faster processor and more memory than a new PC did 8 or 10 years ago...

http://gizmodo.com/5048952/the-microchip-turns-50-today-heres-the-original

Pretty amazing.

I remember my family's first computer. It was an IBM PC Jr. with 128KB of RAM and only a 360K 5.25" floppy drive. The processor was an Intel 8088 running at 4.77 MHz and it could amazingly display 16 colors at one time.

Each step up as I was growing up I can remember. The 286, the 486, the graphing calculator that was much more powerful than the PC Jr. ever was.

Fifty years and here we are with multiple core chips, memory that is usually in the gigabytes, hard drives that commonly are half a terabyte. Wow.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to No Holds Barred