Text Size

No Holds Barred

Google Chrome

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Google Chrome

Unread postby swerb » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:03 pm

Anyone tried this new web browser yet?

Had heard something about this a couple months back. Didn't know it was live and in beta till someone forwarded me this column:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/g ... dist=msr_1
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:31 pm

I've thought about it, but my browser-hopping days are done. I love and trust Firefox, and I don't trust Google to not track what websites I'm visiting. Same reason I don't use Google Desktop or the Google Toolbar. I'm sure they are great for a lot of people, but I'm kinda paranoid when it comes to my web-surfing habits.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Its light and fast, but I'm holding out until I get the Chrome analogues of DownThemAll, ForecastFox, FoxyTunes, and GreaseMonkey. I like my applications too much to switch now.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Google Chrome

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:51 pm

Interested to hear the thoughts of those of you out there browsing with Chrome. Finally downloaded it tonight, just getting acclimated to it. I like the bookmark bar. Have noticed some cut paste issues when loading stuff into the TCF content management system.

Pros? Cons? Better/worse than IE/Firefox?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:38 am

I have it, I use it, I love it. I did go through app withdrawals when switching from FireFox, but I don't regret it one bit. It's definitely faster for me than Firefox was.

The one thing I will say though, is this: Some of the Firefox apps were really useful, and I wish I could get them for Chrome. All told though, I'm very happy with Chrome and would recommend anyone to at least try it.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:45 am

I've been using Chrome since it became available and love it so much that I am putting off a purchase of a new laptop, which I desperately need, until Chrome OS starts shipping.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:58 am

The only thing that pisses me off about Chrome is that it has a very strict timer with pages loading and then it'll bring up an error page. You just have to refresh, but it happens a little more frequently than it should. Then again, probably just my wireless being shitty.

Love the bookmark bar too. It blows IE away for sure. I never really used Firefox, so I can't say for sure on that.

aoxo, Google's making an operating system?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:02 am

I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:03 am

aoxo1 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_OS

Interesting. Not sure how keen I am on it if "Google Chrome OS is initially intended for secondary devices like netbooks, not a user's primary PC". My current primary computer is a 6 year old desktop that freezes occasionally on me (malfunctioning fan over the processor is my guess). By the time Chrome OS is available, this one will probably be out to pasture but I don't think I'll be willing to risk having my primary computer run Chrome OS. And I sure as shit won't be looking to drop another $400 on a netbook just so I can dick around with a new OS.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:21 am

Absolutely love the speed and simplicity of Chrome. Way it is coded you won't find a faster browser anywhere.

That said it does have some issues and you can certainly tell it is a young browser (locks up from time to time).

And they don't have it for Macs yet so I am only using it at work.

That said, Firefox is a damned CPU hog. That thing redefine inefficient and bulky. Gross program in general that should eventually become second fiddle w/ IE.

Safari on Mac and Chrome on PC all the way currently.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:19 am

I've been using Chrome for about a week now. I actually heard about it on one of these threads (can't remember where). I used IE up until now because, to tell the truth, I didn't know there would be any difference or that it would matter. I'm a complete computer illiterate (I'm so far behind the curve that I don't know what to do to inform myself).

What I do know about Chrome is it is noticeably faster than IE. I used to have to wait forever for youtube videos to load before I could watch them. With Chrome I can almost start them right away. There also seems to be some kind of automatic spellchecker whenever I am writing something, no matter what site. I've found that to be pretty useful.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby That_Guy™ » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:24 pm

I've loved chrome since it first came out. Tried firefox a coupla times but never really got into it. Chrome blew me away with how much faster it was than IE. Bookmarks are easy as hell to manage and the top of the window is nice and compact.
The first rule of Fight Club is: Don't tell Chuck Norris about Fight Club.
That_Guy™

Favorite Player: Leroy Jenkins
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:53 pm

Does chrome run off a USB stick? That would be kind of nice in case I hit some NSFW site when using the laptop at home, and am too lazy to clean up cache. Hell firefox might have that for all I know, it's just something I've been meaning to do. That and covert my PC at home to accept 443 for Remote Desktop are projects I have on the wish list.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:50 pm

dmiles wrote:Does chrome run off a USB stick? That would be kind of nice in case I hit some NSFW site when using the laptop at home, and am too lazy to clean up cache. Hell firefox might have that for all I know, it's just something I've been meaning to do. That and covert my PC at home to accept 443 for Remote Desktop are projects I have on the wish list.

Portable Firefox: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
Portable Chrome: http://www.labnol.org/software/download ... rive/4406/
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:59 pm

FWIW: Chrome beta for Mac finally came out today
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:48 pm

This weekend I finally gave myself over to Chrome, and man am I loving it. All of the extensions I had with Firefox are available for Chrome, although some don't work quite as well (but I can live without ForecastFox). The bookmark bar is incredible, and my computer doesn't freeze up like it would running Firefox and Thunderbird (I switched my primary email to Gmail as well, allowing me to ditch Thunderbird once and for all).

I also have given in a bit more to the Google empire by signing up for Google Voice, which looks to be THE killer app for Google in their attempt to take over the world.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:49 pm

dmiles wrote:Does chrome run off a USB stick? That would be kind of nice in case I hit some NSFW site when using the laptop at home, and am too lazy to clean up cache. Hell firefox might have that for all I know, it's just something I've been meaning to do. That and covert my PC at home to accept 443 for Remote Desktop are projects I have on the wish list.

Chrome has an "incognito mode" that doesn't save anything to your computer while browsing (except downloaded files), so there is no trace of your browsing once you close the incognito window.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby swerb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:55 pm

Love Chrome ... been using it for like 4-5 months now. The quickest browser, by far, IMO. And best features.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cease » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Google heads,

Is there a reason that my Chrome consistently "can't connect to google.com?"

It's a computer I inherited, could some setting be blocking connection to google.com, even when running Chrome?

Meh in Medina.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:52 pm

One time I had a problem accessing this site, and this site only. Wound up I had to clone the MAC address in the router. Don't ask me why, but after going through just about every other solution it worked.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Return to No Holds Barred