Text Size

No Holds Barred

The Palin Factor

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:15 pm

Even Olbermann and the other MSNBC hacks are ceding it was an incredible speech.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:17 pm

Rudy gave her an incredible segue too.

They hit the nail on the head with Obama too, with every single thing they said. It amazes me how people can even vote for that man.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:17 pm

SteelersStillSuck wrote:
Dozen wrote:Swerb, any chance of a mini poll election on the front page? I'd love to see those stats since your fanbase is so large.

I'm shocked and rather pleasantly surprised to see so many conservatives here, myself. :)

LOL! I was thinking the same thing. On a side note the DA vs BQ debate could be viewed as political (jk) :lol:
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:20 pm

Joe Biden is in for a wide awakening on Oct. 2.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby waborat » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:20 pm

SteelersStillSuck wrote:
Dozen wrote:Swerb, any chance of a mini poll election on the front page? I'd love to see those stats since your fanbase is so large.

I'm shocked and rather pleasantly surprised to see so many conservatives here, myself. :)

Not me.

It's really amazing how many people live a conservative life and then go to the polls and vote for liberal politicians though?
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby waborat » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:23 pm

Swerb wrote:It's fair to make the argument that she isn't qualified to be Veep.

But bottom line, she is coming off tonight as smart, tough, and very likable. Before a huge audience.

Which she absolutely had to do.

My opinion? Obama was a very solid favorite to win the election before tonight.

And now its a coinflip.

Gonna be a fun next couple months.

Swerb, you sound like Tim Russert right there...God, I miss his commentary after these things
waborat

Unread postby swerb » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:24 pm

waborat wrote:
Swerb wrote:It's fair to make the argument that she isn't qualified to be Veep.

But bottom line, she is coming off tonight as smart, tough, and very likable. Before a huge audience.

Which she absolutely had to do.

My opinion? Obama was a very solid favorite to win the election before tonight.

And now its a coinflip.

Gonna be a fun next couple months.

Swerb, you sound like Tim Russert right there...God, I miss his commentary after these things

Yeah, Russert was the best. Really miss the guy.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby SteelersStillSuck » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:28 pm

If anyone watches Fox news, Karl Rove is freaking genius. As evil as the media paints the dude, guy knows his stuff. Think of him as the ultra-conservative Tim Russert.
SteelersStillSuck

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:33 pm

BooyaCS wrote:Rudy Guliani's speech was a joke. What has McCain lead? What has McCain done? in 2004 McCain was a maverick going against his party.

McCain commanded the largest Naval Airwing in the US Navy and left right before he was about to be appointed an Admiral in the Navy.

Obama and Biden haven't even run a lemonade stand.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:34 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Obama and Biden haven't even run a lemonade stand.

Come on now. Obama's probably led a community bake sale.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby CP » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:34 pm

I can't believe what I just witnessed. Rudy knocked Obama to the ground and Palin just kicked the living crap out of what was left of him.

In an era of sound bites, she has enough in there to last an election.

I was a bit wary as to how she'd come off, but she gave by far the most scathing speech so far from either campaign (content-wise) and came off looking no worse for wear.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby Stu » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:34 pm

Swerb wrote:Even Olbermann and the other MSNBC hacks are ceding it was an incredible speech.

thats good, because the yabos on ABC could barely come up with anything nice to say about it. expected though as they practically climaxed after obama's speech.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:00 am

Ziner wrote:Olberman is a smug asshole as I figured... Chris Mathews is giving some nice analysis though.... Olberman is questioning her tone. She is an attack dog for the rest of this election and she is damn good at it...

What do you expect? She is a hockey mom after all. We've got them down here and they ARE pitbulls.

Between Romney, Huckabee, Guiliani, and especially Palin there were so many broadsides landed on Obama. All his campaign seems to be able to reply with is "But it's Bush's third term!".

McCain is known as a guy who doesn't play by Washington's rules. Palin is an outsider that the Washington elite have been hammering because she's not one of them.

Great speech. She connected with small town America after Guiliani's devastating attack on Obama not thinking that she's cosmopolitan enough.

So many zingers. The Greek column line. The community organizer line. She also showed how much energy connects to national security and revealed knowledge about Russia's role and beyond.

Her promise to give a voice to children with special needs was compelling.

I LOVED how the Hawaii Governor pulled out LBJ's quote when asked about how difficult his job was as President. He said that he would was glad he didn't have to face the pressure of a mayor.

Palin's citation of Harry Truman's smalltown roots was very compelling as well - a guy who didn't seem qualified to be VP when FDR picked him and used his smalltown experience to rise to the occasion.

I had such high expectations for this speech and they were blown away. Enjoyed hearing Stephanopoulos on ABC talk about the damage that Guiliani and Palin did to Obama.

Also enjoyed hearing Brokaw dash Olbermann's hopes on NBC earlier when he told an angry Keith that Troopergate will be no better than a speedbump similar to the petty Little Rock politics that played into Bill Clinton's candidacy.

Then there's this nice New Republic blurb:

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_stum ... trong.aspx

Several moderate-Democrat friends of mine have been emailing--few if any would ever vote for McCain--but all agree that Palin was very strong. The more liberal among them are a little panicked.

I completely misjudged how negative she would be. Her lines about Obama were brutally cutting and possibly over the top in places. But she's a far better messenger than an angry white man. (Note, by the way, how both Rudy and Huckabee employed a tone that was more bemused than angry. That's the modern GOP's favorite trick--comedic ridicule in place of outright nastiness.)

The Obama campaign's reaction was lame (Bush's speechwriter! Bush! Bush! Bush!). It's clear that Obama thinks the American people are idiots and can't tell the different. Keep playing that card all the way to oblivion.

I've never seen the Republicans this charged up in my memory. I'm too young to directly remember the 1984 campaign, though speaking to my parent I've found that this is the most charged they are since that time. Palin is the game changer and is causing lefties to take a dump in their pants.

She's not an angry white man. She can directly attack Obama and he'll have a problem turning it around on her without severely damaging any cred with women. Translation: He's fucked.

No we've got two months of Obama's resume under the microscope. Palin is clearly willing to compare her resume to his on any day. I'd love to see Palin debate Obama directly, though it'd be like watching a UFC fighter taking on a toothpick.

I'm going to say it now: Palin turns the game around and is going to lead to a landslide for McCain. They are also starting to launch missives at the Congress, a wise move. The Republicans nationally need to align behind McCain's reformist bent and run against the Democrat leadership of Pelosi and Reid - the two least popular Congressional leaders in the past 100 years. If you think Bush struggles with an approval rating around 30% then that's great compared to an approval rating that struggles to break double digits.

It has been shown that this is the Congress that has done the least IN OUR NATION'S HISTORY. Run against the Do Nothing Congress and the Don't Drill Democrats. Make it national. McCain needs to run against them too while also hammering Obama with his VP pitbull.

I thought this thing was gonna be close a week ago with Pawlenty as the VP nom and an unenergized base. Can't get overconfident, but I think we've got 'em on the run and need to keep hammering.

And I'm interested to see Obama on O'Reilly tomorrow night. Kudos to him for having the balls to go to Fox News and the highly rated O'Reilly. My Democrat grandparents love O'Reilly and will be watching closely (actually it has now been shown that more Dems watch Fox than CNN or MSNBC). The Dems avoided anything with Fox News in the primaries and now are making a major concession by even going to O'Reilly.

Wasn't Kerry too confident in his chances to go on O'Reilly's show back in 2004 when he asked to interview both? I think Obama's willingness to go to O'Reiily reeks of desperation on his part. He wouldn't do it if he wasn't worried to death (or if his handlers weren't).

The man if just a gaffe machine, like his trying to say running a campaign is like being a mayor or governor. Yeah, it might be closer for the CAMPAIGN MANAGER. I loved when Rove, Campaign Manager Extraordinaire, out the kibosh on that one and said that the candidates do basically nothing in running the day-to-day operations.

Like Stephanopoulos said, Obama now has a lot to answer too. How's he going to defend HIS resume. Palin defended hers quite well. Now Obama needs to tell us about his "modest" success as a community organizer and those 130 "present" votes when he didn't have the conviction to make a decision. As Rudy said, just being present is not enough to be President.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby projectmayhem » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:00 am

http://i37.tinypic.com/2it64ph.jpg

Is it just me?

edit: trying to figure out how to embed this... bbcode isn't being nice to me
projectmayhem

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:04 am

Skating Tripods wrote:

But he can't list it because they were selling "magic" brownies.

I heard a comment on radio today about them attack Palin's husband for a DUI 22 years ago. Someone said that it was an unfair attack and that if we wanted to go back 22 years then it needs to be compared to the time when Obama was coked out of his mind.

Obamaites would say that would be an unfair and I don't disagree, but if the media wants to be the surrogate and swing hard then Obama's camp better be prepared for a nasty right hook back at them.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:05 am

projectmayhem wrote:Image

Is it just me?

Not a bad comparison. Tina Fey is also a dead ringer - and I always thought Tina Fey was pretty hot.[/img]
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby projectmayhem » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:11 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:

But he can't list it because they were selling "magic" brownies.

I heard a comment on radio today about them attack Palin's husband for a DUI 22 years ago. Someone said that it was an unfair attack and that if we wanted to go back 22 years then it needs to be compared to the time when Obama was coked out of his mind.

Obamaites would say that would be an unfair and I don't disagree, but if the media wants to be the surrogate and swing hard then Obama's camp better be prepared for a nasty right hook back at them.

22 years ago a DUI wasn't the same thing it is now... Plus.. it's alaska... what's he gonna do? crash into a moose?
projectmayhem

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:12 am

Skating Tripods wrote:
Amazing how her husband and eldest son are Democrats.

I may be mistaken, but I read that her husband and son are independents.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:15 am

idoctribefan wrote:
I may be mistaken, but I read that her husband and son are independents.

They are. They're not Democrats.

22 years ago a DUI wasn't the same thing it is now... Plus.. it's alaska... what's he gonna do? crash into a moose?

PETA would be pissed... and that's a good thing. I'd feel bad for the moose though. Why couldn't he just crash into a PETA rep instead?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:16 am

To echo other sentiments on the thread, I thought Palin did a fantastic job as well. Especially considering how she and her family have been trashed the past 4 days or so. Poise.

I had to crack up everytime the camera showed the guy who knocked up her daughter. Kid's thinkin "what the f*** did I get myself into?"
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:22 am

Uh oh. Hearing through my RNC connections that Sarah Palin is being arrested under Hate Crimes laws. She just beat a black man to a bloody pulp tonight and the police are taking that very seriously.

Rudy's being detained as well.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:36 am

What strikes me about her is the poise. I ain't ready to annoint either ticket as a winner because there may be a time when the republicans must actually mention an issue or two 8) :cool: 8-) but you've got a woman on this ticket who in the last 6 months has given birth to a downs syndrome child, found out her 17 yr old daughter was pregnant and had a microscope shoved up her and her family's ass when tabbed as the VP for the most powerful country on earth.

To answer the bell on one of those with grace, poise and a convincing smile is impressive. To handle all three of those with that poise is truly indicative that the chick has her shit together.

She made a terrific, engaging, powerful first impression. I wanna see what's next as far as whether there's more substance than style in terms of issues.

I'm impressed with her. But I'm not convinced that last night did anything other than rally the repub troops (which was definitely needed and definitely helpful).

I think the dems underestimated her though. Horribly underestimated her in regard to that toughness, spirit and poise.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby SteelersStillSuck » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:43 am

Libs are already attacking her and calling her a bad mom for going for the Veep.

What a bunch of hypocrites. Keep attacking the fact that she's a woman, and that she's a small-towner. The more they do this, they more you'll piss off small town folks and 50% of the vote.
SteelersStillSuck

Unread postby swerb » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:47 am

I think the dems underestimated her though. Horribly underestimated her in regard to that toughness, spirit and poise.

Biden was on with Matt Lauer this morning, and had no idea how to respond.

After a couple minutes of looking foolish dodging questions, stumbling over his words, and refusing to take the bait from Lauer to respond to her criticisms of Obama, all Biden could do was praise her. He then offered up the fact that she didn't mention health care and jobs, both of which McCain will be sure to hit on in great detail tonight.

And really, and as I mentioned as soon as she was announced, therein lies the problem the Democrats. They can't really snipe back at her. Because their only argument is the experience thing. Which is, by far, Obama's biggest flaw. And one they don't want to remind the American populace about.

The Palin pick was genius. She'll be the perfect attack dog for McCain down the stretch, and look cute and likable doing it. And she's teflon like Gatti.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby CP » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 am

Regardless of what happens in November, she's got Presidential Candidate written all over her, in the near future.

I also believe the Dems rushed Obama to the national stage and, if this election goes poorly, killed their next best chance at a two-term president. If he had waited until 2012 or 2016, he may have been an unstoppable force. He's here now, though, and has nothing more than his eloquence to rely upon. Will depend on how well the GOP takes him down a notch at a time before the election.

I have questioned for a time now, not as a partisan but as someone with a degree in political science, whether Obama, as high as the wave had taken him, had a shot of flipping a red state. I didn't think he could before and the Biden pick won't help him now. Hillary had a realistic shot at Ohio and Florida, and I think Obama is going to fade away pretty quickly in Ohio.

Coming from Youngstown, I think Palin is going to play well in that area and I know my grandparents and aunts/uncles, die hard democrats, have already asked me for McCain buttons/stickers (I had ordered in bulk). That tells me something that I don't need to see on TV.
CP

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:31 am

Swerb wrote:And really, and as I mentioned as soon as she was announced, therein lies the problem the Democrats. They can't really snipe back at her. Because their only argument is the experience thing. Which is, by far, Obama's biggest flaw. And one they don't want to remind the American populace about.

The Palin pick was genius. She'll be the perfect attack dog for McCain down the stretch, and look cute and likable doing it. And she's teflon like Gatti.

And she's the one that seems to now be attacking his experience, though not really. Dennis Prager hit the nail on the head a few days ago about the experience argument. You turn it into a discussion about accomplishments. There are so few accomplishments on the Democrat ticket. Palin seems fairly comfortable in touting what she hs accomplished, even as a small town mayor. She knows there's no equivalent on the other side.

She's going to be hammering on their accomplishments and their lack of substance.

A line a would attack them with: Their resume doesn't back up their rhetoric.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby jjgmyers » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:39 am

The Palin pick was genius.

Genius? It just reeks of desperation. You really think a 72 y/o war hero wanted to pick a "cute" 44 y/o female as his running mate?

He had no chance, so he had to try to do something to get people talking about the rep party
jjgmyers
I Heart Fat Chicks

Unread postby Stu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:17 am

jjgmyers wrote:

Genius? It just reeks of desperation. You really think a 72 y/o war hero wanted to pick a "cute" 44 y/o female as his running mate?

He had no chance, so he had to try to do something to get people talking about the rep party

Do you think a 40something year old community advocate who wants to change washington and take it by storm really wanted to a pick a senator who has been in the system for over 30 years?
Stu

Unread postby swerb » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:18 am

jjgmyers wrote:

I don't disagree. He had little to no chance. He needed to energize the base and do something dynamic to shoot a bolt of energy through the campaign.

And he did. She was the perfect selection, on a number of different levels.

And the Republican Party, moreso than at any point in my lifetime, was in desperate need of new young talent and a fresh face.

Get back to me when the new polls come out in a couple days.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:55 am

Swerb wrote:
jjgmyers wrote:

I don't disagree. He had little to no chance. He needed to energize the base and do something dynamic to shoot a bolt of energy through the campaign.

And he did. She was the perfect selection, on a number of different levels.

And the Republican Party, moreso than at any point in my lifetime, was in desperate need of new young talent and a fresh face.

Get back to me when the new polls come out in a couple days.

I disagree with that. He was already creeping back in the polls due to Obama's multiple gaffes/arrogance, and through his own decision to go with a more conservative tone. The Saddleback Q and A was the event that highlighted his resurgence. The Palin pick was an opportunistic capitalization on this momentum, aiming for the death blow.
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Naxos » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:59 am

waborat wrote:
SteelersStillSuck wrote:

Not me.

It's really amazing how many people live a conservative life and then go to the polls and vote for liberal politicians though?

Great question which boggles my mind as well. What person really does not want less taxes and a less invasive government?

Palin was outstanding last night. I got a kick out of Rudy and Romney as well. She is a breath of fresh air and am looking forward to the election now more than ever.
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:04 am

It's only a matter of time before The Great One, Mr. Obama, employs the schtick of former WWE employee, The Rock to secure more and more voters. I can see it now.................. :lol:
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:13 am

Swerb wrote:And the Republican Party, moreso than at any point in my lifetime, was in desperate need of new young talent and a fresh face.

Very true, but she was also repeating the same GOP lines of the past twenty-some years. Its telling that Obama's response was basically "There you go again." New face, old politics. I don't think that's gonna fly outside the base, not this year.

She does have the base excited - just look at this board the past week - so at least McCain has that going for him.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:16 am

Palin was awesome last night. But, the question now is, was she too awesome? I mean, McCain DOES have to speak tonight. Gonna be hard to top that performance.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Stu » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:24 am

photochop is fun

Stu

Unread postby swerb » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:50 am

Consigliere wrote:Palin was awesome last night. But, the question now is, was she too awesome? I mean, McCain DOES have to speak tonight. Gonna be hard to top that performance.

McCain's speech tonight likely won't be a ra ra one. Or one in my opinion that will be laced with attacks on Obama. Between Thompson, Lieberman, Huckabee, Giuliani, and Sarah Barracuda ... they've laid out the case against Obama.

Tonight McCain needs to make the case FOR him. With specific details on some of the things he plans to do differently from Obama with respect to fixing the economy, creating jobs, establishing energy independence, and making affordable health care available to more people.

McCain is a choppy speaker though. He's likely to have a great speech written for him tonight. If he can deliver it without it sounding like hes reading it, and he gets lots of pauses for cheers ... he should be able to get out of the convention with a very nice bounce.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby waborat » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:59 am

Naxos wrote:
waborat wrote:
SteelersStillSuck wrote:

Not me.

Great question which boggles my mind as well. What person really does not want less taxes and a less invasive government?

I would say for me personally that the ratio of my family, friends, business associates, employees, etc that vote republican/democrat is about a 75:25 split respectively...

What I know about most of the 25% who vote "D" all the time is that they live their life conservatively...they all want: less taxes, smaller government interference, less welfare and government programs, off-shore drilling, no political correctness, to be wealthy, socialism buried, etc, etc, etc....But they all vote "D" and I wonder why? It's usually one of 2 reasons. One, being that they were brought up either by their parents and/ or grandparents as democrats and that's what they were taught (sorry people, but there hasn't been anything close to a semi-conservative candidate since JFK)...Over 40 years ago the party was a lot different then it is now before many special interest groups (ACLU, NAACP, Unions, GLTB, feminists and lawyers) took over (I'm sure that this is where I'll get hit with "R's" having oil companies in their pocket)...

The second reason is they usually have a problem with one issue and don't look at the whole picture...I'll usually here that they believe in pro-choice or they believe in the global warming issues or the war was a mistake, but they don't look at everything else that relates to their families future...they all talk about how things used to be and how they wish they were that way again, but they vote for people who don't stand up the those past morals and ideas and let our society decay further

Personally, the biggest thing that I see differently with my "R" & "D" friends is that the "R's" seem to take responsibilty for their life and want to handle things on their own where the "D's" seem to blame everything on someone else and always feel like something is FUBAR in their life
waborat

Unread postby BooyaCS » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:25 pm

So we have had 3 days of RNC and not one issue was ever discussed. Hmmm Seems like usual politics come out and attack your opponent to give the nation a false sense that your going to change something.

I will give you that Obama is inexperienced but at least he has a platform to fix this crap that Bush, McCain and Palin are buying into.

Also by voting Present you are basically trying to kill a bill. Why? If you get enough votes infavor it passes, if you get enough against it doesn't. If you get enough people to vote something other than yeah or nay then you can gain a tie. In that case the bill comes off the floor and needs to be revised. This is a good situation so that the people that voted present can filabuster the hell out of it until it is dead.

Also Palin said we are in this war to do god's bidding? So does she talk to god? What makes her so special that she said God has told me we are in this war to do his bidden. When God tells the pope that he is against this war?

Sounds like an ultra elitiest view point by her basically saying nah nah I am better than you nah nah.

Also they are running the same campaign that was run in 2004 the war on terror is the most important. Hmmm so who is going to protect the US from these terrorists if the army is fighting in Iraq for another 100 years?

Also IMO Libertarian is 1 step away from a dictatorship. Hmm Palin gets in and as president of the Senate disbands the senate so when "she" takes over it is permenant.

At least she will get the man hating lesbians on her side though.

Good speech to rile up people but it had no substance behind it just more nah nah I am better than you which we have heard for a while.

Also just some thought every recession in US history except for 1 happened under a Republican and ended under a democrat.
BooyaCS

Unread postby swerb » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:39 pm

BooyaCS wrote:So we have had 3 days of RNC and not one issue was ever discussed. Hmmm Seems like usual politics come out and attack your opponent to give the nation a false sense that your going to change something.

I will give you that Obama is inexperienced but at least he has a platform to fix this crap that Bush, McCain and Palin are buying into.

Also by voting Present you are basically trying to kill a bill. Why? If you get enough votes infavor it passes, if you get enough against it doesn't. If you get enough people to vote something other than yeah or nay then you can gain a tie. In that case the bill comes off the floor and needs to be revised. This is a good situation so that the people that voted present can filabuster the hell out of it until it is dead.

Again, I think McCain will thoroughly hit on most of the main campaign issues tonight.

IMO, using his foot soldiers to concentrate on strictly making the case against Obama is a smart move. A huge chunk of this country is still leery of Obama due to a number of reasons. His inexperience, his race, his name, his ultra-liberal voting record, and his record of voting for just about every tax increase that has come across his desk.

McCain needs to instill that doubt about Obama with the populace to win this election.

Would most people prefer to hear about issues? Yes. Does that mean that preaching the issues ad nauseum gives him the best chance to win? Not a snowballs chance in hell.

Same thing with the general sweeping statements and jokes about him "voting present" and being a "community organizer". We all know there's more to both of those things than the Repubs were leading on to last night in their assault of Obama.

But if they force him to defend himself on those fronts, they've won. For a big chunk of the voting public in the middle, they'll remember the rhetoric, and not care to hear the ins and outs of voting present and being a community organizer.

Slightly dishonest methods? Definitely. Effective? In my view, it's been very.

The Dems do the same type of things, particularly in their rhetoric linking a more centrist McCain to Bush, who is much more conservative. But not as effectively and forcefully.

In my view, the Republicans are just much better at doing the things you need to do to win elections.

And that's been proven in the last two Presidential elections, both close, both won by the GOP, and with a flawed candidate.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:03 pm

BooyaCS wrote:So we have had 3 days of RNC and not one issue was ever discussed. Hmmm Seems like usual politics come out and attack your opponent to give the nation a false sense that your going to change something.

Also Palin said we are in this war to do god's bidding? So does she talk to god? What makes her so special that she said God has told me we are in this war to do his bidden. When God tells the pope that he is against this war?

Sounds like an ultra elitiest view point by her basically saying nah nah I am better than you nah nah.

Also they are running the same campaign that was run in 2004 the war on terror is the most important. Hmmm so who is going to protect the US from these terrorists if the army is fighting in Iraq for another 100 years?

Also IMO Libertarian is 1 step away from a dictatorship. Hmm Palin gets in and as president of the Senate disbands the senate so when "she" takes over it is permenant.

At least she will get the man hating lesbians on her side though.

Good speech to rile up people but it had no substance behind it just more nah nah I am better than you which we have heard for a while.

Also just some thought every recession in US history except for 1 happened under a Republican and ended under a democrat.

Solid speech Boo. :eek :shock: But I'm thinking there are still about 60 days left before anyone makes their choice and the repubs were introducing a vp candidate that no one knew. That perhaps they're using the opportunity to introduce Palin and establish her. Well, she passed the initial test.

And I'd disagree that no one is addressing issues when the overridng issue for me is that the dem's candidate has less experience than the repub vp candidate .

That IS an issue if not THE issue for a lot of people who don't completely fall off the either the right side or the left side of the sanity scale and who aren't talking with a politcal hand up their neck.

Once again, IMO, too many repubs splooging over an introduction (albeit one for the ages) and too many libs spewing venom over what was or wasn't said.

Any chance we can call it a successful debut on a national stage that still leaves a shit load of questions on the table? Give some cedit while recognizing both parties and all candidates have some opportunity areas? Or is it really 180 degrees one way or the other like every fuckin' committed party member will have you believe?

I haven't voted democratic since I was 18 but I was certainly not looking to vote again for the same old shit. I'm open to whichever party shows me they ain't gonna talk away four more years w/o actually doing anything. Someone take a hose to the streets and wash away the same shit that's been there for years. World's changing, we need to demand that our representatives adap too. That's why I like the Palin dynamic. Some fresh blood in the mix. And if the libs can't find a way to properly deal with the dilemma she presents in regard to being a stong female with hardcore values , then how the fuck am I supposed to believe they can deal with an increasingly fucked up, hardcore and complicated world?

As to the Repubs, better be somebody in those suits. More than just a sugar daddy and his pretty, wise-cracking sidekick.

Somebody show me something I can get behind. The conservs just tied the ballgame IMO.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:05 pm

BooyaCS wrote:Also IMO Libertarian is 1 step away from a dictatorship. Hmm Palin gets in and as president of the Senate disbands the senate so when "she" takes over it is permenant.

Nothing quite like using unrealistic rationale to prove your point. See the Republicans believe in this document called the constitution. Granted Barack Obama doesnt think it is so swell, but that document doesnt allow Palin to disband the Senate.

However with this current congress I sure wish they would reelect every position and implement a max of 8 years for any congressional seat. The same people in congress for decades (for the most part) isnt doing any good. There are very few examples of people who are in congress for that long that actually do anything worthwhile anymore. Unfortunately for you McCain in one who does worthwhile things, while Biden...um... not so much
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby CP » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Dems did the same thing at the DNC. It was up to Obama to detail policy on the last day.

Her name is Palin, not Palpatine. George Lucas called and wants the Episode III storyline back...
CP

Unread postby CP » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:36 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Very true, but she was also repeating the same GOP lines of the past twenty-some years. Its telling that Obama's response was basically "There you go again." New face, old politics. I don't think that's gonna fly outside the base, not this year.

She does have the base excited - just look at this board the past week - so at least McCain has that going for him.

That response was written before the speech was given and the details were known. Both parties do that, there is nothing to read into the response. Based on Biden's trip around the morning talk shows, I'm not sure they really have a response.

Obama can thank the bloggers and media for turning Palin into a rock star. Now that they put her there, like Obama for the past 18 months, every point she wants to get across to the American people will be on national TV and the local news on a daily basis since reporters will be following her all over the place trying to see if she screws up.
CP

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:51 pm

Solid takes from Swerb and Peek. That said...

CP wrote:That response was written before the speech was given and the details were known. Both parties do that, there is nothing to read into the response. Based on Biden's trip around the morning talk shows, I'm not sure they really have a response.

Um, they do have a response: "Same old politics, different day." Even if it was prepared prior to Palin's speech, she didn't disappoint.

Obama can thank the bloggers and media for turning Palin into a rock star. Now that they put her there, like Obama for the past 18 months, every point she wants to get across to the American people will be on national TV and the local news on a daily basis since reporters will be following her all over the place trying to see if she screws up.

Assuming they let her out: Six days since the announcement and that was only Palin's second public speaking appearance? Your 'rock star' is too busy being kept backstage memorizing old Newt Gingrich covers to try more of her act in public.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby BooyaCS » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Interesting read for anyone that wants to see the rebuttal.

http://www.samefacts.com/archives/campaign_2008_/2008/09/palin_v_reality.php
BooyaCS

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:17 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
projectmayhem wrote:Image

Is it just me?

Not a bad comparison. Tina Fey is also a dead ringer - and I always thought Tina Fey was pretty hot.[/img]

She does kinda have that hot librarian look to her.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:08 pm

She is a star at the moment, and this has been well played by the Publicans. Time will tell if she is a Robert Dinero, or a Val Kilmer.

She caused me to donate more to Obama today.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:14 pm

WarAdmiral wrote:She is a star at the moment, and this has been well played by the Publicans. Time will tell if she is a Robert Dinero, or a Val Kilmer.

That is like the 3rd time you said that... since you are made of money I figured you would be a Republican... isnt that what you Democrats always say? Only rich people are Republicans??? :lol:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:35 pm

Ziner wrote:
WarAdmiral wrote:She is a star at the moment, and this has been well played by the Publicans. Time will tell if she is a Robert Dinero, or a Val Kilmer.

That is like the 3rd time you said that... since you are made of money I figured you would be a Republican... isnt that what you Democrats always say? Only rich people are Republicans??? :lol:

I can't afford to max. Barak takes donations as low as $5. No, we say if you want to live like a Republican, vote Democratic.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby CP » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:08 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Um, they do have a response: "Same old politics, different day." Even if it was prepared prior to Palin's speech, she didn't disappoint.

Well, I wasn't really arguing politics with you but speaking in the sense that they don't really have a tailored response to it. If they want to treat her like every other GOP politician, that's their choice. I think that's a mistake, but that's their choice.

Assuming they let her out: Six days since the announcement and that was only Palin's second public speaking appearance? Your 'rock star' is too busy being kept backstage memorizing old Newt Gingrich covers to try more of her act in public.

Again, not really trying to argue politics with you, but they will let her out. It might be controlled (IE she will be behind a lectern fielding a few questions at a time), but she'll be out there. Her prep was apparently necessary, given that her teleprompter malfunctioned, something that would give ANY speaker trouble.
CP

PreviousNext

Return to No Holds Barred