Text Size

No Holds Barred

Intrade.com thinks it's Pawlenty

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Intrade.com thinks it's Pawlenty

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:13 pm

All the money today is being used to buy shares of Tim Pawlenty as McCain's choice for Veep. My preference, and the only way I'd vote for McCain, is Alaska governor Sarah Palin, but I never get my way. If Pawlenty is the pick, I see Mitt Romney as Secretary of Commerce and possibly Joe Lieberman as Secretary of Defense.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:18 pm

I could see Petraeus as Sec. of Def.

Yahoo also notes that Tim Pawlenty has canceled quite a few personal appearances.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:23 pm

My preference, and the only way I'd vote for McCain, is Alaska governor Sarah Palin, but I never get my way.

I like that choice as well, but I think that line of thinking is 4 years ahead of the curve. I'd expect to see her on a '12 or '16 ticket.
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:20 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:
I like that choice as well, but I think that line of thinking is 4 years ahead of the curve. I'd expect to see her on a '12 or '16 ticket.

Same here. There's also been some talk about McCain stating at the convention that he will only run for one term. If that's the case then we could see a Jindal/Palin ticket in four years. Eric Cantor might also move up over the next few years. He's a smart Congressman and a great speaker.

At least our young guns like Jindal have got some real executive experience. Jindal has run more than just Louisiana over his relatively short lifetime. He's also known for running things well and received bipartisan praise when he headed up the commission to reform Medicare. He was only 28 years old at that time.

It's looking like Pawlenty, though you never known. McCain likes to pull some shockers and he did say that both Pawlenty and Romney were going to be in Dayton, so who knows? It seems that Obama's camp has been frustrated with McCain's VP nod getting any kind of attention. They also seemed flustered by McCain's ad congratulating Obama for his historic achievement and quickly said that Obama will do the same next week.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:11 am

Well, I'm up at this ungodly hour because I'm on my way to Dayton.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:36 am

Um, it's all changed now. Pawlenty and Romney apparently are definitely not the choice, and Intrade now has Sarah Palin at 85% likelyhood. Matt Drudge also seems to think it's her.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:46 am

CNBC says it's Palin. I guess McCain gets my vote after all.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26454655
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:08 am

jfiling wrote:CNBC says it's Palin. I guess McCain gets my vote after all.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26454655

and to think you were pouting yesterday cause you never get your way for her to be the pick... solid pick by mccain, getting a woman veep would help to balance the obama slant in the media allowing him to get the spotlight for a while. Additionally there are alot of Hillary supporters who might jump over because mccain had the balls to pick a woman... plus she isnt bad looking for 44
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby swerb » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:10 am

Genius move by McCain.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:29 am

Swerb wrote:Genius move by McCain.

I agree. Not like he has to worry about losing any Conservative votes, none of whom are going to vote for the ultra-lefty Obama anyway. This should garner some votes from the Billary crowd too.
mikebrownz26

Favorite Player: Phil Dawson
Least Favorite Player: Scott Stewart

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:36 am

exactly my 1st thought as well
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:47 am

Genius.

No more Obama coverage. It also solidifies McCain's maverick identity. Palin has always been a good pick but I thought no one would've been courageous enough to put her on at this point.

He shocked me on this one and I'm sure he knows that that'll give him all the coverage. It's not just about coverage. Palin is a well qualified candidate who is extremely popular in Alaska, knows about energy policy, and is a fine speaker (and not bad to look at either). What will the Hillary supporters feel now?

It took some balls to make this pick, but it was a wise, wise pick.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:19 am

The more I read about Palin the more genius the selection gets. She is a pretty staunch conservative which the right wingers want, but by the simple fact she is a woman she can draw some hillary votes. What I like the most is it seems like she has actually got thing accomplished while being Gov. However the hell she got that natural gas pipeline passed is beyond me but she did. It will be tough for Obama to say people dont want drilling in Alaska when McCains Veep with a over 80% approval rating in her state wants it.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:52 am

Ziner wrote:The more I read about Palin the more genius the selection gets. She is a pretty staunch conservative which the right wingers want, but by the simple fact she is a woman she can draw some hillary votes. What I like the most is it seems like she has actually got thing accomplished while being Gov. However the hell she got that natural gas pipeline passed is beyond me but she did. It will be tough for Obama to say people dont want drilling in Alaska when McCains Veep with a over 80% approval rating in her state wants it.

She's also stood against her own party on corruption issues. With McCain never taking an earmark back to Arizona and Palin truly coming from WAY outside of the Beltway, which ticket truly represents change and reform?

McCain has solidified his maverick tag and could easily stress a new slogan if he wants to: "Change That Delivers."

Obama liked to say that McCain voted with Bush 90% of the time, but Obama's votes have also been with Bush a lot because most Senate votes are unanimous. That could be thrown back in his face, especially with McCain selecting an unconventional running mate. Biden is a lot closer to the Cheney selection than Palin is.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby idoctribefan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Genius.

No more Obama coverage.

Wishful thinking, my friend.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:49 pm

idoctribefan wrote:
Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Genius.

No more Obama coverage.

Wishful thinking, my friend.

Okay. They did give some coverage to his campaign's reaction.

Essentially Obama's campaign asked if someone from a small town can be ready to lead. They also questioned her experience. Funny coming from a guy with even less executive experience.

Already some are talking about Obama's campaign once again belittling women. I think he's really taking it on the chin this week from female voters.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby SteelersStillSuck » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Essentially Obama's campaign asked if someone from a small town can be ready to lead.

Thats it keep pissing off the Small town folks 8) :cool: 8-). I mean that vote isn't really all the important is it? /sarcasm.

This is a great move for McCain, its really going to engerize the conservative base. She's got my vote.
Swerb wrote:Tough to win when you have the worst head coach in the league and a QB that stares into his fridge every morning for a half hour cause the orange juice says "concentrate" on it.

Woody Hayes wrote:Without winners, there wouldn't even be any god damned civilization."
SteelersStillSuck

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:27 pm

SteelersStillSuck wrote:
This is a great move for McCain, its really going to engerize the conservative base. She's got my vote.

From The Christian Broadcasting Network:

Evangelicals Go Bonkers For Palin.

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/435468.aspx

The conservative base just got seriously energized. This could also play against the Dems in the Senate and House races as Pelosi makes a major flub with Catholics. The Pope might actually excommunicate her for it, trying to say that Catholic theology jibes with her pro-choice stance. Several Bishops and Cardinals have already condemned her and that will take even more Mass attending Catholics out of play.

This is getting very interesting.

If Palin can deliver a great speech in St. Paul to go with a good to great McCain speech then Obama is going to be on the defensive. I don't think he's very good at that and taking swings at a woman's credentials after NOT EVEN VETTING Hillary is going to be a big slap in the face to women everywhere.

Palin is a PTA mom. A hockey mom. Women across the country relate to her and many younger women would probably aspire to succeed like she has. Any swipes at her will be seen as swipes at 50% of the US population.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby swerb » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:30 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
SteelersStillSuck wrote:

From The Christian Broadcasting Network:

Evangelicals Go Bonkers For Palin.

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/435468.aspx

The conservative base just got seriously energized. This could also play against the Dems in the Senate and House races as Pelosi makes a major flub with Catholics. The Pope might actually excommunicate her for it, trying to say that Catholic theology jibes with her pro-choice stance. Several Bishops and Cardinals have already condemned her and that will take even more Mass attending Catholics out of play.

This is getting very interesting.

If Palin can deliver a great speech in St. Paul to go with a good to great McCain speech then Obama is going to be on the defensive.

Thing is, McCain is such a brutal public speaker.

Honestly, I'd get him out from behind a podium, lose the fucking teleprompter, and just let him freelance. Or at least make it appear like he's freelancing. He's much better, much easier to watch and listen to in that setting.

He always sounds like he's reading. Doesn't have the right voice inflections. Just looks and sounds old behind the podium.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Swerb wrote:Thing is, McCain is such a brutal public speaker.

Honestly, I'd get him out from behind a podium, lose the fucking teleprompter, and just let him freelance. Or at least make it appear like he's freelancing. He's much better, much easier to watch and listen to in that setting.

He always sounds like he's reading. Doesn't have the right voice inflections. Just looks and sounds old behind the podium.

I don't disagree there.

Funny how the candidates are exact opposites in that. Obama is terrible without a script.

McCain needs to use the closeness in the polls to his advantage her. Obama refused to participate in several town hall debates when he looked like he was clearly the frontrunner. McCain needs to put some pressure on him and attack him for refusing the answer direct questions from the American people. McCain knows that Obama will likely flub a townhall appearance just as he did at Saddleback. Senator McCain just needs to be sure that Obama gets hammered if he refuses to participate, leaving Obama no choice.

I think McCain should do well even in the traditional debates. He has a very good command of the foreign policy issues. I remember listening to a phone call he did with a radio host and was impressed with how much detail he knew about it. It was clear then that this man blows everyone away in foreign affairs.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby idoctribefan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:37 pm

Agreed. He looks way more comfortable at those Town Hall meetings that he does. Obviously, that is the reason that he challenged Obama to "town hall style" debates, and Obama refused because Obama is much stronger with prepared speeches rather than on-the-fly question and answer.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby SteelersStillSuck » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:41 pm

Palin was the point guard and captain for the Wasilla High School Warriors, in Wasilla, Alaska, when they won the Alaska small-school basketball championship in 1982; she earned the nickname "Sarah Barracuda" because of her intense play.[3] She played the championship game despite a stress fracture in her ankle, hitting a critical free throw in the last seconds.[3] Palin, who was also the head of the school Fellowship of Christian Athletes, would lead the team in prayer before games.[3]

on a non-serious note, she looks like she could whoop obama in a game of hoops.
Swerb wrote:Tough to win when you have the worst head coach in the league and a QB that stares into his fridge every morning for a half hour cause the orange juice says "concentrate" on it.

Woody Hayes wrote:Without winners, there wouldn't even be any god damned civilization."
SteelersStillSuck

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:42 pm

She has to be the most attractive VP candidate of all time

[img][img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w36/Knottcobred/1903451448_635a36aed2_o.jpg[/img][/img]
WarAdmiral

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:54 pm

idoctribefan wrote:Agreed. He looks way more comfortable at those Town Hall meetings that he does. Obviously, that is the reason that he challenged Obama to "town hall style" debates, and Obama refused because Obama is much stronger with prepared speeches rather than on-the-fly question and answer.

I think Obama would prefer to avoid debates altogether. He was not good in the Dem debates but was able to energize a college-aged base in the caucuses.

He originally stated he wanted to do a bunch of Lincoln-Douglas style debates and then he backed out. Not the first time he's done that with McCain.

And Palin definitely is the best looking national candidate in history. Cougar all the way. Woof. She's also a hockey player and that's really hot in my book. She probably could put up a challenge to Obama in hoops too, as a poster said.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:10 pm

WarAdmiral wrote:She has to be the most attractive VP candidate of all time

-snip-

Original photoshop work, or did you find that somewhere else? She is way to classy to be in a pic like that.
Last edited by jfiling on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby buckeye319 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:14 pm

jfiling wrote:
WarAdmiral wrote:She has to be the most attractive VP candidate of all time

-snip-

Original photoshop work, or did you find that somewhere else? She is way to classy to be in a pic like that.

lol, for sure dude. That's not her.
buckeye319

Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:05 pm

It was posted on another board I frequent. There will be others, and I think it is real. Please don't ruin my fantasy :evil: :-) :smile: :)

My fingers are crossed for a sex tape :P :-P :razz:
WarAdmiral

Unread postby JoJo White » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:12 pm

Very smart pick by McCain. He probably recognized that Romney & Pawlenty were losing picks.

I now think it's a coin flip as to who wins this thing.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Phenomenal pick, and what a great event down in Dayton. I was a bit skeptical when we all found out that it was Palin on the way down, but as I got to listen to her, she's the right pick. She made a great speech and didn't sound bitchy like Hillary does. She listed all of her credentials, has a great family life, and is a good pick to focus on oil and the denigration of the current Democrat Congress.

All in all, I'm very happy and I definitely think that this vaults McCain well over Obama.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby CP » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:22 am

Of course, we all have seen what happens when two candidates go into a debate where one is pegged as a master orator (Gore) and the other a bumbling idiot (Bush). Makes it damn near impossible for the orator to claim a debate as a win when it's over even if there is a clear out-performance by the orator.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:05 am

CP wrote:Of course, we all have seen what happens when two candidates go into a debate where one is pegged as a master orator (Gore) and the other a bumbling idiot (Bush). Makes it damn near impossible for the orator to claim a debate as a win when it's over even if there is a clear out-performance by the orator.

This is true. Most will expect Obama to win a debate. If he has any slip ups, etc during the course of any debates then he will come off less favorably.

Obama's huge problem is that the expectations are sky high. They expect him to be the next JFK but forget that JFK only became overly impressive after he died. Memories are cast in a more positive light often times as opposed to seeing something as it happens.

I've always found the fascination with Bobby Kennedy to also be kind of funny. He was a fairly staunch hawk who tried to change his views just to take advantage of the anti-war crowd. He had MLK wiretapped and followed constantly. Always a good laugh to see someone criticize Bush for stuff like that and then opine about the Kennedys.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Return to No Holds Barred