Text Size

No Holds Barred

It's OFFICIALLY Hurricane Season here....

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

It's OFFICIALLY Hurricane Season here....

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:18 pm

Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Yep

Unread postby JoJo White » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:29 pm

One of the reasons I moved from Louisiana was the hurricane issue and having to go through this every couple months/years.

At least the state is getting prepped now, rather than be caught with their pants down like they were in 2005. I think this one will do an Ivan and curve away from NOLA at the last minute and instead pound the Florida panhandle again.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby General » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:37 pm

This mf'er could destroy my tailgate trip.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:48 pm

Yeah, watching Jindal's presser yesterday and speaking with a buddy of mine who works out of NOLA with FEMA the prep work is night and day compared to '05.

Being in Prairieville, I'm not as worried as if I would be if I was further east (which is why I'll never live in NO). We're far enough west and higher up enough elevation-wise where rising water is alot less of a threat.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby JoJo White » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Yeah, watching Jindal's presser yesterday and speaking with a buddy of mine who works out of NOLA with FEMA the prep work is night and day compared to '05.

Being in Prairieville, I'm not as worried as if I would be if I was further east (which is why I'll never live in NO). We're far enough west and higher up enough elevation-wise where rising water is alot less of a threat.

The problem is that a hit to the La. coast will raise insurance costs for everyone, not just for folks in the River Parishes, NOLA, or the bayou.
JoJo White

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:26 pm

No doubt, I'm originally from the River Parishes north of Thibodaux and still have all of my friends and family there. The insurance companies around there didn't start writing new homeowners' policies until early-mid last year, and even at that with some companies you had to be an existing customer (whether it be auto, life, etc) if you wanted to get a new policy.

Luckily for me the unofficial cutoff for that was East-Southeast and not including Ascension Parish so I was good to start a new policy, not to say it didn't and still doesn't effect my cost though.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:14 pm

I hope I am right when i say this, but I dont think it will hit NO and if it does it will be weak. The media gets in a tizzy everytime the potential gets there because of what a great news story it would make. Lets be honest they would make a ton of money if it happens. I think the scientist predict it will hit there because they dont want to be wrong about it. Just watch. If it does hit, Im a jackass, but i feel like everytime a hurricane develops they track it right to NO or give it worst case scenario.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:19 pm

Really until it clears Cuba and gets in the Gulf it is hard to say what it will do. Come Saturday we'll know what's going down with this bad boy. They are already planning to begin the contraflow (interstate lanes east and west-bound will be turned out to leave the city) for afternoon Saturday should they see fit.

That contra-flow on Saturday will take me right to Tiger Stadium baby. It ain't hurricane season, it's football season.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:18 pm

George Bush hates black people so all hurricanes for the rest of time will hit economically depressed areas.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:57 pm

...which is obviously true :lol:
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:20 pm

Already hearing a lot of talk about how this is going to ruin the Republican convention and hurt McCain seriously. I think that's crazy talk.

Jindal of right now has canceled his trip to the convention. If Louisiana gets a miss or it's not overly intense I could see him going, though I'd guess any hit will mean he'll stay. They could get a video update from him.

I think LA is much better prepared. I still don't understand why anyone would want to live in NO with this threat because the whole city really has to be evacuated with these kind of storms.

If LA is hit and things are much better handled then it would actually look good for the Republicans. Bush will have corrected the FEMA missteps and Jindal will have made major improvements. Seeing as Bobby Jindal right now appears to be the GOP's next golden boy, his handling a tragic situation well would be a positive.

I'd just rather the thing not hit LA or anyone at all and die off or be a tropical storm. I'm no fan of hurricane season and get to live through it every year though Tampa Bay hasn't had a lot of worry since 2004. Fay didn't worry me much when it seemed to be heading here because a Cat 1 or Tropical Storm is not a big deal and I live on some of the highest land in the Tampa Bay area (70 feet above sea level!). I don't have to worry about storm surge or evacuation and my house is steel reinforced block with a roof tied on with Cat 5 rated ties that adhere to Dade County standards. The windows are shatter resistant and I also have shutters I can bolt on. I also have a natural gas generator that will kick on and power the house when the power goes out, though still keep non perishables and plenty of water around for hurricane season.

I do all that when no hurricanes have hit TB since I've been here.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:37 am

Jindal of right now has canceled his trip to the convention. If Louisiana gets a miss or it's not overly intense I could see him going, though I'd guess any hit will mean he'll stay. They could get a video update from him.

Yet, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin is still at the Democratic Nat'l Convention with no plans to return anytime before it concludes. But that's why he's a no talent ass clown.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:12 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:

Yet, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin is still at the Democratic Nat'l Convention with no plans to return anytime before it concludes. But that's why he's a no talent ass clown.

Very nice use of the term, Bayou. Well played.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:29 am

'Preciate it. Also, just a reminder to the Aggie fans on hurricane prep (this never gets old)....

Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:51 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:Yet, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin is still at the Democratic Nat'l Convention with no plans to return anytime before it concludes. But that's why he's a no talent ass clown.

I still don't get how they re-elected that bozo. He and Blanco played a pretty large part in the screw up of Katrina that so often just gets laid at Bush's feet. At least Blanco was wise enough to to run again knowing full well that the state of Louisiana was going to give her the boot.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:08 pm

NOLA is a whole different animal. There are reasons I enjoy and truly love that city, and there are just as many (sometimes more) reasons that make me scratch my head and say WTF?
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:20 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:NOLA is a whole different animal. There are reasons I enjoy and truly love that city, and there are just as many (sometimes more) reasons that make me scratch my head and say WTF?

I just thought he'd get the boot because it seemed like a lot of the worst people in the city had left after Katrina as witnessed by the increase in crime in Houston and the huge decrease in NOLA.

I'm of the same mind with New Orleans. There are some really awesome things there. The culture is very different as is the city. I probably like Baton Rouge better overall, maybe because it's far saner there. Shreveport is also a pretty awesome place and has some of my favorite architecture in the state.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:24 pm

Well actually alot of the word out of there during his re-election was that some of the wealthier businessmen in the area were behind him more because he had proven to be a decent pawn/puppet for them in the past. Go figure, good ol Louisiana politics as usual. :lol:
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby JoJo White » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:35 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008 ... isian.html

DENVER -- It will be a depleted Louisiana delegation that watches Sen. Barack Obama's acceptance speech tonight at Invesco Field.

With Tropical Storm Gustav heading to the Gulf of Mexico, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin returned Wednesday night and was followed Thursday by Sen. Mary Landrieu, New Orleans Rep. William Jefferson and New Orleans Councilwoman Cynthia Hedge Morrell.

Louisiana Democratic Party Chris Whittington said others are considering an early departure, as well.

I don't like Nagin either, but accuracy uber alles.
JoJo White

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:00 pm

Ah, fantastic, he decided to come home. I didn't think we could make it without him. Was worried that the rest of the state leaders would have to have yet another (3rd) press conference on Hurricane Gustav preparedness without him. The real news story in this is that the local restaraunt/entertainment industry is back in business now that the mayor's city-issued amex card is back in town. Nothing like keeping that money in state.

Gustav, you can come over now, Willy Wonka is here to save us. Geez...
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:20 pm

Alright folks, it's about that time. Got a couple friends and in-laws that evacuated out here, full supply of water/food/gas/batteries/etc, ready to go.

I'll check in with you losers when we get our power back and we get cleaned up. Later on.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:22 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Alright folks, it's about that time. Got a couple friends and in-laws that evacuated out here, full supply of water/food/gas/batteries/etc, ready to go.

I'll check in with you losers when we get our power back and we get cleaned up. Later on.

Us losers? That is funny.

Good luck and relieving to know you folks are taking this serious this time.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:29 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Alright folks, it's about that time. Got a couple friends and in-laws that evacuated out here, full supply of water/food/gas/batteries/etc, ready to go.

Good luck bro.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:33 pm

Good luck. I know this stuff isn't fun. Glad you've got some evacuees up there with you. Hope you have a couple of decks of cards. They can help pass the time.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:37 pm

Good luck and relieving to know you folks are taking this serious this time.

Don't group me in with the rest of these wierdos, common sense ain't so common around some parts and with some demographics. :lol:

You guys have a good Labor Day, thanks for the well wishes.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:56 pm

Bumping this. Three more named storms already. Hanna's rocking the Bahamas. Ike's close behind. And today, tropical storm Josephine is strengthening quickly.

Good luck to any and all coastal folks.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:03 pm

What a difference a hurricane makes. Listened to Bobby Jindal's conference yesterday while in the car and that cat is impressive. Organized to a tee. Had every number and every issue outlined and ready to talk about. Nice work with the verbiage as well.

Say what you want but the guy sure did document the efforts they made down there. Whether it's a cover your ass move or the guy is that all over it it was nice to hear a guy come out and lay it down like he knew wtf he was doing.

I know nothing about the guy, have no interest in his politics per se. Just saying he did a terrific job yesterday in talking the talk. And it sounds like he made sure they walked the walk too.

Incidentally, I used to watch the Jerry Lewis telethon every Labor Day growing up. I find it much more entertaining that my kids get to watch New Orleans flood annually on their Labor Days.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby General » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:09 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Bumping this. Three more named storms already. Hanna's rocking the Bahamas. Ike's close behind. And today, tropical storm Josephine is strengthening quickly.

Hanna will probably be a player in the Carolina's this weekend, Ike is doing a beeline for Cuba/Florida area, and Josephine is projected to turn north according to early models. Pensacola had some dicey weather yesterday when Gustav made landfall and I was stuck at Hooters for over 7 hours....it was hell. :twisted:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:13 pm

General wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:Bumping this. Three more named storms already. Hanna's rocking the Bahamas. Ike's close behind. And today, tropical storm Josephine is strengthening quickly.

Hanna will probably be a player in the Carolina's this weekend, Ike is doing a beeline for Cuba/Florida area, and Josephine is projected to turn north according to early models. Pensacola had some dicey weather yesterday when Gustav made landfall and I was stuck at Hooters for over 7 hours....it was hell. :twisted:

I'm supposed to head to Charleston, SC next week for work Tues-Fri. I'm thinking of rescheduling that shit. Love Charleston too. Great place when there ain't 3 feet of water in the streets.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:15 pm

Peeker643 wrote:I'm supposed to head to Charleston, SC next week for work Tues-Fri. I'm thinking of rescheduling that shit. Love Charleston too. Great place when there ain't 3 feet of water in the streets.

My girlfriend always talks up Charleston. Says she absolutely loves it.

You should be OK for Tues-Fri, I would think.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:27 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:I'm supposed to head to Charleston, SC next week for work Tues-Fri. I'm thinking of rescheduling that shit. Love Charleston too. Great place when there ain't 3 feet of water in the streets.

Probably will, but with the "Great 'Gate of '08' on Sunday of that week I'm not sure I can take the chance. 8) :cool: 8-)

Should put that on a shirt.

TheClevelandFan.com's

Great 'Gate of 2008

Browns-Steelers 9/14/08
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:25 pm

Thanks. It's the way of things down here. Unfortunately a lot of people in the Tampa Bay area don't take these things seriously because it has been so long since we've been hit. I believe that we've only had two hurricanes actually make landfall here since records have been kept. Elana sat off the coast in 1986 before moving off. There've been several that have brushed the coast.

The worst case scenario for the whole area is what happened in 1921 when the hurricane moved ashore in Tarpon Springs. The rotation for that landfall would bring water in from the Gulf, flooding out Tampa Bay and causing massive surges throughout Hillsborough and Pinellas County. Water would go up the outfall canal into Lake Tarpon and flood out much of that area on East Lake Road (only three miles from me). I live on the high ridge in Pinellas County that stretches down Belcher Rd, so I'm not in an evacuation zone nor is there any risk of flooding. Most of this area is not in the same boat. I'd guess that at least 500,000 people in Pinellas would have to evacuate and about the same in Hillsborough for a big storm.

This time of year has trouble producing the worst case scenario for us because the storms come out of the Atlantic. If they hit us directly then it is most likely from the south because they have to swing around the peninsula. It is late in the season when they tend to form in the Gulf or the Caribbean that we are in the greatest danger. The 1921 storm was a late October hurricane that formed in the Caribbean.

I think the 1921 storm was the last to actually directly hit the Tampa Bay area. Donna struck from the south side and caused the opposite effect, sucking all the water out of Tampa Bay. They republished pictures from that storm a few years ago and you could see the fish just laying out on the bottom of Tampa Bay, no water left above them. The Bay is quite shallow as is the shelf surrounding the region. That shallowness actually provides some protection as it limits the amount of water that can be used to feed a storm.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:28 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:

I think Charleston is way overrated. As coastal Atlantic southern cities go, I think Savannah is a much nicer and more enjoyable place.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:18 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:

I think Charleston is way overrated. As coastal Atlantic southern cities go, I think Savannah is a much nicer and more enjoyable place.

I like Savannah too. Doesn't exactly remove the hurricane threat though.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:33 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
I like Savannah too. Doesn't exactly remove the hurricane threat though.

Nope, your chances of getting hosed are pretty high along the Atlantic coast from NC southwards throughout the season.

It's not so bad earlier in the season for most of those places but August is generally when the danger increases. Things are often fairly quiet in June and July.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:29 pm

Checking in. Ascension Parish and into Baton Rouge got hit pretty bad. It wasn't as much rain as I thought it would be, but more wind.

No house damage, minimal cleanup, but we won't have power for another couple of days I'd expect. I'm at the inlaws house till then (nat gas generators are the schit!)
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:29 pm

double post. my bad.
Last edited by Bayou Tribe on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby pup » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:32 pm

Glad to hear all is as well as can be hoped Bayou.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Pup wrote:Glad to hear all is as well as can be hoped Bayou.

Ditto here Bayou. Good luck.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:28 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:
No house damage, minimal cleanup, but we won't have power for another couple of days I'd expect. I'm at the inlaws house till then (nat gas generators are the schit!)

Yes they are. I got one for the house not long after I bought it. Critical down here, especially with all the lightning strikes without the hurricanes that can occasionally cause the power to go out for a few hours. 30kW of standby power that kicks on whenever it detects an electrical cutoff. Everything comes back on very quickly and it worked throughout the last major outage we had (only two days). Was the only guy with lights and AC on the block, so I invited neighbors over. Let them take hot showers, cool off, watch TV. Was a great way to connect with the neighborhood. No a half dozen neighbors have also bought standby generators and I've gotten $$$ from the company that installed mine for all the business I've sent them. Worked out nice and now I hope they'll follow the example I set and help out their fellow neighbors the next time. Really was awesome to have the power and help others out. All the football fans came over to enjoy games when they would have had to go to very crowded bars instead.

Glad you and the family are ok Bayou. Glad things seemed to go pretty well for LA and the other Gulf States up there. Still plenty of damage, but the evacuation got a lot of people out of harms way.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:54 am

Glad you and the family are ok Bayou. Glad things seemed to go pretty well for LA and the other Gulf States up there. Still plenty of damage, but the evacuation got a lot of people out of harms way.

Not to turn in back into another political discussion, but Bobby Jindal is the freakin man. He was ontop of things from the get-go.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:05 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:
Not to turn in back into another political discussion, but Bobby Jindal is the freakin man. He was ontop of things from the get-go.

I was very impressed with him and is command of all the information, etc.

I also have to say that Nagin was much improved this time around. I liked his tough warning to looters. Obviously there are still corruption issues down there in NOLA, but at least he learned from the past.

Seems that the Bush Administration and FEMA also did make a lot of changes. Much improved reaction across the board.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:24 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:

I was very impressed with him and is command of all the information, etc.

I also have to say that Nagin was much improved this time around. I liked his tough warning to looters. Obviously there are still corruption issues down there in NOLA, but at least he learned from the past.

Seems that the Bush Administration and FEMA also did make a lot of changes. Much improved reaction across the board.

Rack ^^^
WarAdmiral

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:53 pm

Without a doubt. Alot was learned from 3 years ago. Not to give everyone in the old regime a free pass, but it was a new experience for all of us. Lessons learned, I reckon.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:05 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Without a doubt. Alot was learned from 3 years ago. Not to give everyone in the old regime a free pass, but it was a new experience for all of us. Lessons learned, I reckon.

They certainly still need to clean up the corruption in NOLA and I know Nagin has been a major part of that. Glad that the lesson was learned and human catastrophe was kept to a minimum. That's the most important thing when major disasters strike.

I'd never wish Katrina on anyone, but some good seems to have come out of it in that the Feds and the local governments in the whole region are far better to respond and limit catastrophe. Property will always be lost in times like these, but the human lives are the most important things to protect and that happened this time around.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:39 pm

Watching the coverage of Ike right now. The guy on TWC said that about a thousand or so people stayed in Galveston which for those not familiar is basically a barrier island. Absolutely insane.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:43 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Watching the coverage of Ike right now. The guy on TWC said that about a thousand or so people stayed in Galveston which for those not familiar is basically a barrier island. Absolutely insane.

They had a guy on the phone from Galveston on Fox News. The guy just said that he doesn't trust the weather men even though they've already got give feet of water in the store he owns. At least he said they're in a steel and concrete structure and that they are over 20 feet above ground level. Still, crazy to stay on a barrier island that will flood out completely.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:48 pm

I agree, Mac. I can see Houston (especially in higher, Western areas) but many of those in Galveston will basically be sitting ducks when this thing rolls through. I wish em the best.
Bayou Tribe

Return to No Holds Barred