Text Size

No Holds Barred

What do you think about this?

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

What do you think about this?

Unread postby jjgmyers » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:53 am

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP)—Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player— too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho’s team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho’s coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn’t quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league’s field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

ADVERTISEMENT

“He’s never hurt any one,” Vidro said. “He’s on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?”

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

“I feel sad,” he said. “I feel like it’s all my fault nobody could play.”

Jericho’s coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league’s administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

“I think it’s discouraging when you’re telling a 9-year-old you’re too good at something,” said his mother, Nicole Scott. “The whole objective in life is to find something you’re good at and stick with it. I’d rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner.”

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

“He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower,” Noble said. “There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport.”

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

“Facing that kind of speed” is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho’s mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

“I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho’s mother exhibited Wednesday night,” Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho’s parents Monday to discuss legal options.

“You don’t have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it’s wrong,” he said. “Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?”
jjgmyers
I Heart Fat Chicks

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:01 am

Kids are taught to be pussies from a young age and this is no exception. Move the kid up a level then. And if you can't do that, let kids learn the lesson that someone is always better than you and it's how you deal with it that makes you a stronger, better person.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby swerb » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:07 am

I can't even get started on this. The whole Pussification of America, no losers in little league mentality in this country is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Woody Hayes said it best.

"Without winners, there wouldn't even be any god damn civilization."
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:19 am

F-ing BS

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:33 am

The real sad part about this is the fact that this is made to be front page news. This was a non-issue from the start that overzealous little league parents made into a situation, and then it was run with.

Somewhere in the northeast there is a little league player who is better than anyone else in his league? God damned, you don't say? Someone write a story about it. Bang my head against a f_cking wall.
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:39 am

Swerb wrote:The whole Pussification of America...

It really, truly angers me.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:12 am

Swerb wrote:I can't even get started on this. The whole Pussification of America, no losers in little league mentality in this country is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Woody Hayes said it best.

"Without winners, there wouldn't even be any god damn civilization."

Thats an awesome quote, Swerb! Your post hit the nail right on the head. Is this what America has come to? Arguing over whether a kid throws too fast to play on a little league team?

This is beyond sad. Ban someone for doing too good, it sends a great message. Be a screwup and you are fine but overachieve and banishment awaits!
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:24 am

I don't know when or how this pussification began. And it's going to greatly affect not only the citizens of our country in the future... the citizens of the entire world.

How are the kids now going to teach their kids in the future. Our human race is going to turn into a bunch of Mary's.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:48 am

I don't think it's so much about the pussification of America as the fact that the guy who ran the league couldn't have the best player and he wanted that 9 year old little league championship MORE THAN ANYBODY, probably including his son. Sorry you sat the bench when you were 9 years old guy, no reason to take it out on this kid cause he destroys your team and doesn't want to play for you.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Return to No Holds Barred