Text Size

No Holds Barred

America's Worst Cities To Be A Sports Fan (BS)

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

America's Worst Cities To Be A Sports Fan (BS)

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:40 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=y ... &type=lgns

If Cleveland isn't on the Top 5... it's not an accurate list. I swear, national and international media can (can't?) give two shits for our city.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby idoctribefan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:59 pm

Yeah I'm not buying this list. I have a buddy who is a Colts season ticket holder and he says the Colts tickets are among the lowest-priced in the NFL. And my wife is an HGTV-aholic and she said that Indianapolis is the most affordable city to live in America. So incomes can be lower there because of that. These magazines and studies are all done by people who live on the coasts, where each dollar doesn't get you as much as it does in the center of the country.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:13 pm

No. 1 Miami

Teams: Dolphins (NFL); Marlins (MLB); Heat (NBA); Panthers (NHL)

Median Household Income/Fan Cost Index: $38,632 / $292.50 (29th)

Teams' combined winning percentage: .400 (27th)

Playoff Appearances: 0

Championships: 0

This poll is quite stupid. Sure they haven't won a title THIS YEAR, but the Heat and Marlins have combined for 3 in the past 11 years, the Dolphins are a storied franchise, and I couldn't tell you one damned thing about the Panthers or hockey at all as a whole. :lol:
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby BDFD » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:03 pm

I'm kinda talking out of both sides of my mouth here, but while this list is certainly inaccurate and we are easily top 3 material, you guys feel slighted because we didn't top 5 the 'America’s Worst Cities To Be A Sports Fan' list?

Consider the source. Also, I believe Forbes ranked us quite high on the 'U.S. Cities That Are Rapidly Dying' list.
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby SteelersStillSuck » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:16 pm

1. Miami

boo-hoo! The Dolphins have been to a Super at least in the past 44 years, 3-4 times If I can recall. The Marlins Attendence matches the population of Antarctica, and wins 2. And the Heat have Dwayne Wade and Michael Beastley with the potential to get a secound championship in 4-5 years from now. Not to mention the Hurricanes winning all those titles in the 80's, and dominating the early half of the decade. Also, has beatiful weather to help distract themselves from the doldrums.

2. San Diego

Same with the weather as above.

3. Indianapolis

If this had simply said "West Lafayette" instead of the bigger city in Indiana. I'd agree. Purdue's bad luck, sans the 2000 Rose Bowl Season is only matched by the combined efforts of the Cavs/Browns/Tribe. 1968 was supposed to be the year we were to win the National Championship. Of course a certain team led by Woody Hayes screwed that all up to hell, and thanks to that, probably led to our Mediocrity. Gene Keady's teams in the 80's-90's were dominate as hell, but whenever they'd reach the tourney they'd be stuck playing on the homecourt/state of the other team which would be a lower seed. And then in the '05 season, when it looks like all the stars are aligning, We have a potential HEISMAN winner in Kyle Orton, and a potential National Championship game qualifying squad, Wisconsin comes in, injures Orton causing a fumble, and a typical Tribe Trademarked collapse towards the end of the season.

But the Colts nullify any complaining that Indy fans might have. And anytime a season sucks, they still have the 500. :)

4. New York

A city that ESPN constantly gives blowjobs to, with TWO baseball teams that have won titles within the last 25 years. TWO Football teams, one of which has been to three in the same amount of times. TWO Hockey teams that have won championships in the past 25 years.

puh-leaze.

5. Cincinnati

Three Words: Big Red Machine.
Swerb wrote:Tough to win when you have the worst head coach in the league and a QB that stares into his fridge every morning for a half hour cause the orange juice says "concentrate" on it.

Woody Hayes wrote:Without winners, there wouldn't even be any god damned civilization."
SteelersStillSuck

Unread postby Spin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:18 pm

They're only looking at $$$, winning %, and playoff appearances. Bullshit. Who cares what it costs or how many appearances you have, if you win a title, they can charge anything and we'll go. If you suck, they can charge next to nothing and we won't.

It's all about the rings...

1 Miami. Two Super Bowls, two World Series, and an NBA title. Plus the colleges. My heart pumps piss for them.

2. San Diego won an AFL title in 63, and went to the Super Bowl and World Series. Plus, Donald Sterling moved the Clippers to LA, addition by subtraction... OK, they're top three...

3. Indy A Super Bowl and three basketball titles, I'd take that. Hell on second thought, Akron won that many...

4. New York??? 18 champions since our last one...

5. Cincy Five World Series, and a trip to the Super Bowl

6. Kansas City A Super Bowl and a World Series, all since '64

7. Charlotte? They've had a team since 88. Come back and talk to us in 24 years

8. Tampa A World Series and a Stanley Cup

9. Cleveland Let's not go there. Top 3.

10. Pittsburgh. Five Super Bowls, five World Series, 2 Stanley Cups, and an ABA title. Pittsburgh sucks.

My top three, in no particular order,

Cleveland, San Diego, and Buffalo/New Orleans (tie)
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby idoctribefan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:44 pm

BDFD wrote:I'm kinda talking out of both sides of my mouth here, but while this list is certainly inaccurate and we are easily top 3 material, you guys feel slighted because we didn't top 5 the 'America’s Worst Cities To Be A Sports Fan' list?

Consider the source. Also, I believe Forbes ranked us quite high on the 'U.S. Cities That Are Rapidly Dying' list.

I didn't say I felt slighted. Just said I wasn't buying the list.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:21 pm

Portland....they sucked, finally got Greg Oden....they he....well ya know
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:26 pm

Cleveland, San Diego, and Buffalo/New Orleans (tie)

NO is kind of tough to pick. We've never had a pro baseball team, and pro basketball has been mediocre with no titles (Jazz and Hornets) and good superstars (Maravich, CP3, etc).

The Saints though........ I don't know where to start. Dammit I love em, but sometimes they don't repay my love. :lol:
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:36 pm

wow what the fuck, we cant even win at being crappy
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:05 am

BDFD wrote:I'm kinda talking out of both sides of my mouth here, but while this list is certainly inaccurate and we are easily top 3 material, you guys feel slighted because we didn't top 5 the 'America’s Worst Cities To Be A Sports Fan' list?

osucrazy18 wrote:wow what the fuck, we cant even win at being crappy

That's the thing; we all know we should be on that list and the national media won't even give us credit to what we really are... even if it is at the bottom the totem pole. They won't even bother mention our name in a list we so rightfully should be on.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby SteelersStillSuck » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:30 am

The list should've been.

1.) Cleveland
2.) Buffalo
3.) New Orleans
4.) Seattle
5.) Minnesota
Swerb wrote:Tough to win when you have the worst head coach in the league and a QB that stares into his fridge every morning for a half hour cause the orange juice says "concentrate" on it.

Woody Hayes wrote:Without winners, there wouldn't even be any god damned civilization."
SteelersStillSuck

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:36 am

SteelersStillSuck wrote:The list should've been.

1.) Cleveland
2.) Buffalo
3.) New Orleans
4.) Seattle
5.) Minnesota

I'd scratch Minnesota for Philadelphia.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Return to No Holds Barred