Text Size

No Holds Barred

Case Shows Problems With The Judicial System

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Case Shows Problems With The Judicial System

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:24 pm

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/17188351/detail.html

A judge sentenced a west Phoenix woman to lifetime probation Tuesday after she admitted to starving her 2-year-old daughter to death.

They did find a $15,000 life insurance policy Perri took out on her daughter seven days before her death.

Nakeisha was born in March 2003 with neurological problems because of prenatal cocaine and marijuana in her system, according to prosecutors.

What a shocker. A woman completely unfit to be a mother from the start winds up killing her baby. But, the judge gives her "lifetime probation"?! How is that not murder? Clearly, the 15k insurance policy is motive.

That judge is the biggest pussy I have ever heard of on a bench. Lifetime probation. What a fucking joke. Killing an innocent child born into a terrible situation, and this woman's life barely changes.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Case Shows Problems With The Judicial System

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:32 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
What a shocker. A woman completely unfit to be a mother from the start winds up killing her baby. But, the judge gives her "lifetime probation"?! How is that not murder? Clearly, the 15k insurance policy is motive.

That judge is the biggest pussy I have ever heard of on a bench. Lifetime probation. What a fucking joke. Killing an innocent child born into a terrible situation, and this woman's life barely changes.

Can't disagree here.

Big problem I have is that even if she was sent to prison she really wouldn't have to work to pay for her incarceration. I'm a big believer in prison manufacturing and the like to take the burden off of taxpayers for sustaining the scum of the earth. After all the constitution does allow for indentured servitude for people who have broken the law. The state government and feds need to hire out the services of prisoners to pay for the jails, their food, lodging, and even help pay for the law enforcement that must guard them. They should also pay back the justice system for the cost of their trials. Let the taxes of law abiding citizens be used for things other than feeding, clothing, and providing a roof for low life thugs.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:14 pm

Big problem I have is that even if she was sent to prison she really wouldn't have to work to pay for her incarceration.

Agreed, so starve her, tie her to a railroad track, stick a potato gun up here ass...do anything to her that allows her to suffer and die and save the taxpayers as much money as possible.
Last edited by FUDU on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:00 pm

FUDU wrote:Agreed, so starve her, tie her to a railroad track, stick a potato gun up here ass...do anything to her that allows her to suffer and die and save the taxpayers as money as possible.

Thank you for taking it to the extreme and trying to make people who believe criminals should actually work to help pay for their incarcerations look like criminals themselves.

Good job.

How about a compromise? She can live with you and you can pay for her and be responsible for her.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:32 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
FUDU wrote:Agreed, so starve her, tie her to a railroad track, stick a potato gun up here ass...do anything to her that allows her to suffer and die and save the taxpayers as money as possible.

Thank you for taking it to the extreme and trying to make people who believe criminals should actually work to help pay for their incarcerations look like criminals themselves.

Good job.

How about a compromise? She can live with you and you can pay for her and be responsible for her.

Do you think she deserves to live after what she did to her own child?

But, I'll play along, I'll take her, she'll last less than one day, cost to me $4 at the most.

Your suggestion is fine, she however doesn't fall into the category of acceptable applicant.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:48 pm

Hard to even contemplate what is the best outcome here.

Prison? Won't fix this woman, or stop her from doing it again.

Hospitalization? Maybe, but I doubt it will really be effective.

Forced sterilization? That would work, although I don't think the state should have that power. I might look the other way in this case.

Lifetime probation? Probably realistically the best solution. She ever fucks up again and she's in the hole for a long time. I don't like it, and I can't imagine anyone else would, but it's just, like I said, the most realistic (or maybe pragmatic) approach.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:50 pm

Well, I pulled up the minutes from the sentencing online. The woman was only convicted of ATTEMPTED CHILD ABUSE, so I assume that either the prosecutor did not file more severe charges, or that they didn't make their case stick for the higher charges.

In terms of attempted child abuse, I'd say that lifetime probation is probably a pretty typical sentence. I didn't look at the Arizona sentencing guidelines, but each criminal charge will have its own sentencing guidelines set out in writing. The judges do not just make stuff up.

Regardless of all that, this is a sick, sick case. It sucks that someone, somewhere dropped the ball.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:40 am

Was it possibly a plea bargain to reduce the charges?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:41 am

exiledbuckeye wrote:Well, I pulled up the minutes from the sentencing online. The woman was only convicted of ATTEMPTED CHILD ABUSE
The kid died. Sounds more than an attempt.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:58 am

How was she not charged with murder? Starvation of a child that cannot help itself is murder.

Forced sterilization is a great option. It's only a matter of time before she needs to add a dependent to her welfare check. And subsequently get more insurance money.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:18 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Was it possibly a plea bargain to reduce the charges?

Yeah, I didn't check too much into it, but I'd guess it was a plea bargain. I'm not sure why, though. Maybe there's something weird about the AZ laws that would've made it really hard to make a higher charge stick.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Return to No Holds Barred