Text Size

No Holds Barred

Super Bowl 2009

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Super Bowl 2009

Unread postby Apex777 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Every season, my hope is that the Browns will make the Super Bowl, hell I'd be happy if they made it to the playoffs. . .

Something special to look forward to next years super bowl, it's been announced that the 2009 Super Bowl halftime entertainment will be provided by none other then Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band.

So, even if the Browns aren't there, at least, in my opinion, the halftime entertainment will be worth watching. . . 8) :cool: 8-)
Imagination is more important than knowledge. . .Einstein
Apex777

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:52 pm

The halftime shows have be been pretty decent since the whole "wardrobe malfunction". Prince was awesome, the Stones sucked, and Tom Petty was pretty good. I think this one will come in above Petty but below Prince. Definitely still an improvement over the pop shows that we've seen in the past.
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:The halftime shows have be been pretty decent since the whole "wardrobe malfunction". Prince was awesome, the Stones sucked, and Tom Petty was pretty good. I think this one will come in above Petty but below Prince. Definitely still an improvement over the pop shows that we've seen in the past.

You know you're past your sell by date when.......the NFL asks you to perform at halftime. The Boss should tell em to stick it.

Just as an aside, what has Springsteen done since Nebraska that isn't pop? Except for that ill fated foray into Arlo Guthrie land. Not hatin' on the guy, just miss the mid 70's to mid 80's Springsteen.
mattvan1

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:56 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
You know you're past your sell by date when.......the NFL asks you to perform at halftime. The Boss should tell em to stick it.

Just as an aside, what has Springsteen done since Nebraska that isn't pop? Except for that ill fated foray into Arlo Guthrie land. Not hatin' on the guy, just miss the mid 70's to mid 80's Springsteen.

Wasn't the case for U2 when they did it, though that was a special circumstance. That's still generally considered the benchmark for Super Bowl halftime shows.

I hope the Browns do go to the Super Bowl this year because I'll actually get to be at the event. Connections are great things.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby SteelersStillSuck » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:17 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Wasn't the case for U2 when they did it, though that was a special circumstance. That's still generally considered the benchmark for Super Bowl halftime shows.

I hope the Browns do go to the Super Bowl this year because I'll actually get to be at the event. Connections are great things.

If certain event involving a team in Brown and Orange were to occur, IE reaching a certain high level of success rhyming with Blooper Soul. The Whole state of Ohio would be probably be put under martial law because of the insanity of what would happen. Full Scale Riots. I have this feeling that the beer supply for such an event would be very low in this state in preparations for the huge ass parties that would occur. I could see people piling inside an arena to watch the game, or even at a Stadium itself.
Swerb wrote:Tough to win when you have the worst head coach in the league and a QB that stares into his fridge every morning for a half hour cause the orange juice says "concentrate" on it.

Woody Hayes wrote:Without winners, there wouldn't even be any god damned civilization."
SteelersStillSuck

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:49 pm

SteelersStillSuck wrote:If certain event involving a team in Brown and Orange were to occur, IE reaching a certain high level of success rhyming with Blooper Soul. The Whole state of Ohio would be probably be put under martial law because of the insanity of what would happen. Full Scale Riots. I have this feeling that the beer supply for such an event would be very low in this state in preparations for the huge ass parties that would occur. I could see people piling inside an arena to watch the game, or even at a Stadium itself.

If the Browns get in I have a feeling that I'll be getting a full email box from family and friends up north that will be asking for some tickets and lodging. I could see some posters also emailing me because I've already gotten ticket requests for spring training, Disney, etc from people who've read my columns and posts.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Apex777 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:18 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

When was the last time you saw Springsteen in concert? By your comments, it sounds as if it's been a while. I saw him this past November at The Q for the Magic tour, believe me, he's still "got it" 8) :cool: 8-)
Imagination is more important than knowledge. . .Einstein
Apex777

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:51 am

Apex777 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

When was the last time you saw Springsteen in concert? By your comments, it sounds as if it's been a while. I saw him this past November at The Q for the Magic tour, believe me, he's still "got it" 8) :cool: 8-)

Sorry, I don't want to see an icon of my generation, who, at least for awhile redefined rock music, to be considered so mainstream that the NFL asks him to perform. As a live experience I agree 100%. Dude rocks, and I'm sure he'll do a great job at the SuperBowl. Not hatin' on Bruuuuuce, just saying that I loved him a a lot more on Darkness than Lucky Town. Magic was a decent album. A decent pop album. The Springsteen I grew up with is gone, and I mourn his passing.
mattvan1

Unread postby waborat » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:59 am

mattvan1 wrote:
Apex777 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Those years ended for me when Little Steven first left the band...In the 70's, NO ONE could match their energy

Sorry, I don't want to see an icon of my generation, who, at least for awhile redefined rock music, to be considered so mainstream that the NFL asks him to perform. As a live experience I agree 100%. Dude rocks, and I'm sure he'll do a great job at the SuperBowl. Not hatin' on Bruuuuuce, just saying that I loved him a a lot more on Darkness than Lucky Town. Magic was a decent album. A decent pop album. The Springsteen I grew up with is gone, and I mourn his passing.
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Doc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:49 pm

Well, my birthday just happens to coincide with Feb 1 2009, the next Super Bowl. If by some grace of God the Browns end up there...well, there'd be no better birthday present. The last time it happened, on my 21st (NE/SD IIRC), wasn't nearly as enjoyable. Suffice to say I will not be attending work on Monday.

Springsteen would be a solid Halftime show. Prince ruled for me, and loved McCartney for some reason too. I think Bruce Springsteen would definitely be a good choice.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Return to No Holds Barred