Text Size

No Holds Barred

Scientists Closer to Developing Invisibility Cloak

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Scientists Closer to Developing Invisibility Cloak

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:15 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080811/ap_ ... lity_cloak

Awesome and scary at the same time. I'm not even wondering when it'll be ready or if it will ever be sold to the public in the near or far future... I'm just wondering on how it works. Redirects light? How does that make an object invisible? Unless they mean it just redirects light into a person's eyes so they're blind, and hence, can't see you... invisibility accomplished.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Re: Scientists Closer to Developing Invisibility Cloak

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:53 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080811/ap_on_sc/sci_invisibility_cloak

Awesome and scary at the same time. I'm not even wondering when it'll be ready or if it will ever be sold to the public in the near or far future... I'm just wondering on how it works. Redirects light? How does that make an object invisible? Unless they mean it just redirects light into a person's eyes so they're blind, and hence, can't see you... invisibility accomplished.

Travis Hafner has been beta testing this thing for over a year now with much success.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby BDFD » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 pm

I remember a few years ago they came up with a suit that used fibre optic cabling to transmit light that would be behind an object to the front. Apparently the cabling wrapped around the sides the subject wearing the suit allowing only for frontal invisibility. More of a physical solution than electrical or chemical. This is probably what they meant by previous soltuions only cloaking two dimensional objects. BTW - Klingons and Predators already possess this technology.

[Insert 'frontal invisibility' joke here]
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:38 pm

BDFD wrote:BTW - Klingons and Predators already possess this technology.

And wizards from Hogwarts.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Return to No Holds Barred