Text Size

No Holds Barred

Official Summer Olympics Thread

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:50 pm

But not the gayest olympic event. The winter olympics win that one without a doubt:

But do they shower together after completing the event?
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:08 am

this pressure is amaing, every single american tv man has criticized the judges yet said theres no biased
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:29 am

I know Nastia had a great beam score just now, but this whole thing just has a weird feeling about it. I wouldn't bank on any medals just yet.
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:30 am

i dono, i just hate it when our announcers criticize the judges the whole time, seems like a bunch of BS
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:32 am

I agree, and I'm by no means a professional gymnastics judge, but I can do relatively basic math. If the deductions that they speak about are legit, than some of these scores are questionable at best.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:59 am

Fantastic finish. Good to see the good ol USA take something in gymnastics (gold and silver, women's all around).

At least our anthem gets to be played once in the gym.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:56 am

While I know very little about gymnastics, last night gave me chills at times. Liukin carried the team in the all-around and she got rewarded for it yesterday. Those two deserved what they got and I'm glad they kept those cheating Chinese out of the top two.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:51 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
Hi Oktane wrote:
Well, seems we've got plenty of excuses to use in the event we don't win the medal count. Cool. Oh, and my take on the whole gymnastics controversy? Legal or illegal, if an 8 year-old can out-tumble/flip/dismount our best 16-plus year-olds, more power to her. Unless we truly have a bunch of opressed 4th graders that are better than what we sent to Beijing, which I doubt (though I'll defer to any TCF gymnastics experts who suggest otherwise), making a stink about it seems like nothing more than sour grapes. YMMV.

It is to be expected whenever China is playing. They are known for bringing older kids into the LLWS, things like that.

Here they used one of their best gymnasts - a great one that appears to be 14 years old, disqualifying her due to Olympic rules.

I assume you're an Ohio State fan like most people on this board. Let's say that Michigan has a 16 year old or an academically ineligible player that runs roughshod over Ohio State, gaining 200 yards and helping Michigan win. Is it sour grapes if you complain about Michigan breaking the rules? The NCAA wouldn't think so. They would and should force Michigan to forfeit that game and take further action against the schools.

I realize cheating goes on all the time in sports, but I also realize that when someone gets caught breaking the rules that a penalty should be levied. China appears to have gotten caught changing the birthdates of at least one athlete, a very good one too, to get her into the games. If it proves true and they get caught then the logical thing to do is disqualify any competition that she participated in.

Or should rules not be followed?

Honestly, the Olympic medal totals don't matter to me and never have because I don't really care much about the Olympics. I think the event has become a major sham over the years and that the org that runs it, the IOC, is a very corrupt organization. I greatly dislike the Chinese government and feel that by even awarding China it shows how corrupt the IOC is.

We get Russia for the winter games in two years. Think many of these countries will show some backbone and boycott the games unless Russia gets their act together?

Mac, you know better than that. The U.S. is done boycotting - there is way too much money involved. Mark Cuban was correct, money is now what much of the Olympics is about.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:15 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:
Mac, you know better than that. The U.S. is done boycotting - there is way too much money involved. Mark Cuban was correct, money is now what much of the Olympics is about.

Actually, there has been some push to move the 2014 Winter Games to avoid any boycott.

It really wouldn't have much point if only the US boycotted. If Australia, Canada, the UK, France, Germany, all the former Soviet Republics and satellite states, etc all boycotted then it would make the 2014 games absolutely pointless. Of course, all of those countries could get together and probably force a move of the games. I believe Russia has already invested quite a bit of cash on facilities, etc so a move would hurt them. They could also be blocked from competition, a move that might make the Putin autocracy more unpopular over there.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:14 pm

Phelps absolutely steals one in the 100 fly. Wow!!!!!!!
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:19 pm

OK, this Bolt cat from Jamaica is sick. Dude practically jogged to a 9.92 in the 100m.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby buckeye319 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:Phelps absolutely steals one in the 100 fly. Wow!!!!!!!

Now that was just crazy. At no point did it appear that Phelps would win until his fingers were an inch away from the wall.
buckeye319

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:08 am

team USA looks great besides the turnovers, finally knocking down some 3's :roll :roll:
osucrazy18

Unread postby waborat » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:29 am

osucrazy18 wrote:team USA looks great besides the turnovers, finally knocking down some 3's :roll :roll:

Yep, sure looks like an easy Gold this year...

I didn't think it was possible, but watching LJ play in these games makes me appreciate his play even more
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:37 am

waborat wrote:I didn't think it was possible

You serious??
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby waborat » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:49 am

Hi Oktane wrote:

You serious??

hmmm, not sure sure what you're asking Okt??? If you mean his play has been suspect, that you expected him to be THE team leader or that I should have expected him to keep up with his defense & pass-first game over scoring in the Olympics???

I meant the latter...
waborat

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:00 pm

How about that Bolt and the WR run in the 100 meters, Jesus Mary and Joseph. The dude was show boating about 10 meters from the finish and still popped off a 9.69.

No doubt there will be some questioning how legit it was, IMO as of right now it was damn impressive.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:26 pm

waborat wrote:
Hi Oktane wrote:

You serious??

hmmm, not sure sure what you're asking Okt??? If you mean his play has been suspect, that you expected him to be THE team leader or that I should have expected him to keep up with his defense & pass-first game over scoring in the Olympics???

I meant the latter...

Sorry wab, I thought you were saying you didn't think winning the gold was possible versus not thinking it possible to appreciate Bron any more. I'm witchu, though most in the nat'l media are yet oblivious to the fact he is THE leader of this squad.
Last edited by Hi Oktane on Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:27 pm

FUDU wrote:How about that Bolt and the WR run in the 100 meters, Jesus Mary and Joseph. The dude was show boating about 10 meters from the finish and still popped off a 9.69.

No doubt there will be some questioning how legit it was, IMO as of right now it was damn impressive.

Freak. Legit freak. Make the call, Phil.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:02 pm

Phelps is up again.

Make or Break time.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:12 pm

He did it.

8 for 8.
Triple-S

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:22 pm

Triple-S wrote:He did it.

8 for 8.

Bring on Ocho Cinco.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:42 pm

I was sitting on the edge of my seat the whole race, as if it was a Browns AFC Championship game.

Unreal.

The Olympics while having its share of issues can be quite underrated.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:46 pm

My 7 and 10 yr old daughters asked to stay up to see that swim before they went to bed. That's significant in my house.

Lost in the Phelps phenomena is the fact a 41 yr old US mother damn near came back to win a the womens 4x100. She's 5 months younger than I am. That's just dirty.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:17 am

ya a lot of my friends are leaving for college tommorrow we stopped a good 50 person party so that we could go inside and watch a swimming race. This was just unbelieveable
osucrazy18

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:09 am

Great Britain third in the medal tables

considering the size of our country that aint bad

11 golds
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby mswerb » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Anyone watch the Fencing? What the hell is this about?
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Did something strange happen, or do you knot know what fencing is?

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Heard on the radio why the times in the pool were so fast and why so many WR were set, one of the reasons is b/c they shut down two lanes, so fewer lanes were used meaning less water disturbed for the other racers.

Sound nuts that it could make that much difference but a couple of former swimmers said it makes a big difference.

FUDU

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:15 pm

mswerb wrote:Anyone watch the Fencing? What the hell is this about?

If I'm not mistaken, it's a competition to see who the best in the world is at receiving and disposing of stolen goods. The U.S. hopefuls in the event hail from Detroit.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:04 pm

Olympic guys gymnastics are on.

I've heard that contrary to popular belief that these guys could kick the living crap out of a lot of people.
Triple-S

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Triple-S wrote:Olympic guys gymnastics are on.

I've heard that contrary to popular belief that these guys could kick the living crap out of a lot of people.

...or at least slap them silly. :P :-P :razz:
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:37 pm

Man, now that swimming is done and beach volleyball and women's gymnastics are done, I would think NBC is gonna see a dive in ratings this week. There just are not a lot of "names" in Track & Field this Olympics. Bolt is incredible and I will be sure to watch him blow away the field in the 200.....and I love the relay races.....but the on the edge of your seat excitement is just so different.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:00 am

Triple-S wrote:Olympic guys gymnastics are on.

If you've ever heard of a web-site called Crossfit, it was started by a gymnastics coach, but is frequented by MMA and other fitness freaks.

One of the macho levels of achievement or should I say feats of strength are to achieve the iron cross. One other one people shoot for are muscle ups. These folks believe in combining gymanstics with olympic lifting. That doesn't necessarily mean that olympic men's gymnasts are bad-ass, but some of the bad-asses around there believe mixing in gymnast skills are great for them. I also have seen a lot of hand stand progressions as well.
dmiles

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:30 am

Talk about the real sporting event going on this week, I heard on the radio this morning that 100K condoms were given out to the athletes in the Olympic Village this year.

So alright, I get it, Kobe is covered. But what about everyone else?
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby mswerb » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:13 pm

FUDU wrote:Did something strange happen, or do you knot know what fencing is?

Yes, I have heard of it. After watching BOTH competitors react the same way on each point given,it was hard to tell what was going on, and how points were awarded. Dudes had helmets on that lit up.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:27 am

team GB have 12 medals in cycling including 7 golds

no other nation has more than 1 gold in cycling or more than 3 total medals

also set 2 world records

pretty cool

it's nice dominating in sports like Cycling, Rowing and Sailing

but Athletics(Track and Field) is where its at

we won high jump silver and womens 400m gold but i can really only see another medal in the triple jump for GB then I think thats it.

we certainly wont retain our relay gold since no members of that team are even in Beijing.

still 3rd in the medals table with 15 golds or maybe it's 16.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:36 pm

I'm heartbroken. My main girl Lolo Jones whips everyone in the prelim heats for the 100m hurdles, is the clear leader in the medal race today, and hits her back foot on the second to last hurdle to finish 7th.

shit...... :x :mad: :-x
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby waborat » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:10 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:I'm heartbroken. My main girl Lolo Jones whips everyone in the prelim heats for the 100m hurdles, is the clear leader in the medal race today, and hits her back foot on the second to last hurdle to finish 7th.

She IS, by far, the best eye candy at these Olympics!!!
waborat

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:31 pm

She always looks goofy while she is running, but she's hot (not sure if she is the hottest, but she's def up there). I had a bunch of classes with her in college, and a buddy of mine dated her for awhile. She's quarter each native american, black, norwegian and french.

This absolutely kills me...

Bayou Tribe

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:30 am

waborat wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:I'm heartbroken. My main girl Lolo Jones whips everyone in the prelim heats for the 100m hurdles, is the clear leader in the medal race today, and hits her back foot on the second to last hurdle to finish 7th.

Sorry to burst your bubble, though you'll probably appreciate it; Meet Leryn Franco, Paraguayan javelin thrower/model, and not the other way around.

Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:46 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
waborat wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, though you'll probably appreciate it; Meet Leryn Franco, Paraguayan javelin thrower/model, and not the other way around.

Bayou was kind enough to introduce us upthread. But thanks for the reminder. 8) :cool: 8-)
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:48 am

She's quarter each native american, black, norwegian and french.

Is there a formula for figuring that out?

FUDU

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:17 pm

FUDU wrote:
She's quarter each native american, black, norwegian and french.

Is there a formula for figuring that out?

...and which do we blame for the big feet that cost her the gold?
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Gotta obviously blame the French, right? Also, I watched it last night and it sucked again. I didn't think I'd be that bummed out over any track event, but I'm crushed.
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:22 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Gotta obviously blame the French, right? Also, I watched it last night and it sucked again. I didn't think I'd be that bummed out over any track event, but I'm crushed.

Give her credit, though. She sacked up, put on her happy face and gave an interview directly after. Minutes after the interview, she was filmed leaning on a wall balling her eyes out. Too bad; at 26, this was her first/last opportunity.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby waborat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:22 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:She always looks goofy while she is running, but she's hot (not sure if she is the hottest, but she's def up there). I had a bunch of classes with her in college, and a buddy of mine dated her for awhile. She's quarter each native american, black, norwegian and french.

This absolutely kills me...

You were one lucky guy and your buddy was even luckier!!!

When my wife leaned over to me the other night and said Lolo is one pretty woman that pretty much clinched it for me that I wasn't seeing things...God bless HiDef TV
waborat

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:22 pm

Give her credit, though. She sacked up, put on her happy face and gave an interview directly after.

Not surprising, she's overcome alot. Her dad walked out when she was young and ended up in prison, the rest of the family was homeless for periods at a time, she changed schools alot, lived with some more well off families in high school so she could stay there and run track. The first time she ever had anything was a year or two ago when she landed her Oakley deal. You'd never know it though, always smiling and always upbeat/positive about everything.

Too bad; at 26, this was her first/last opportunity.

That sucks horribly. She'll no doubt win US Titles, World Titles, Pan Am titles, but she'll never get that shot at Olympic gold again. Two freakin hurdles away with the lead....
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby CarolinaTribe » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:25 pm

Look wise, she isn't my cup of tea. That is the only time I've ever seen her, though.

Give me a gymnast all day.
CarolinaTribe

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:23 pm

I'd agree that she's not the best looking chick at the Olympics (maybe not even in my top 5) but she does have this "Karen from The Office" thing going for her, which is nice.
Bayou Tribe

PreviousNext

Return to No Holds Barred