Text Size

No Holds Barred

Jury Duty

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Jury Duty

Unread postby Indians88 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:17 am

I was summoned to appear in the middle of august on a Monday for jury duty. It says that I need to be available for a two week period, however the Monday following the date of my summons I start classes for my second year of college. Does anyone (maybe a lawyer) know if I will be excused for this? Being that I have a 4.0 and am working towards going to medical school, it would really affect my grade if I started out the fall semester a week behind. Thanks for your help.
Indians88

Favorite Player: Eddie Murray
Least Favorite Player: Paul O'Neal

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:35 am

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2002/olrdata/jud/ ... R-0631.htm

This isn't very specific, and it is old, but I'd guess you should be able to claim a hardship exemption due to your classes. Last I heard the way jury duty works is you call a phone number every morning and find out if you've been called up or not. I think you can pretty much go about your life as long as you make the phone calls.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Jury Duty

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:06 am

Indians88 wrote:I was summoned to appear in the middle of august on a Monday for jury duty. It says that I need to be available for a two week period, however the Monday following the date of my summons I start classes for my second year of college. Does anyone (maybe a lawyer) know if I will be excused for this? Being that I have a 4.0 and am working towards going to medical school, it would really affect my grade if I started out the fall semester a week behind. Thanks for your help.

You have a 4.0 GPA and haven't looked for or found a phone number you can call on that summons? 8) :cool: 8-)

There has to be a name or number on it you can call to try and get either a deferment or talk to someone about how that specific court's process works.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:39 am

You can delay it twice, and then the third time you'd better be dead. This was the way it was a few years back, anyway.

A deferrment for your situation should go thru, but they aren't going to forget about you.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby General » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:22 am

If your deferment fails....one word-guilty, that should get you excused. 8) :cool: 8-)
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:42 am

Just tell them you believe the party to be guilty, to be punishable by death. Even if it's for a simple matter.

Or tell them you're a big-time bible pusher, and believe in an eye-for-an-eye. The crazier the look on your face, the better.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:49 am

If you end up having to go bring something to do, a book to read, a Rubix Cube, something b/c it is excruciatingly boring for more than 75% of the jurors.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:54 am

FUDU wrote:If you end up having to go bring something to do, a book to read, a Rubix Cube, something b/c it is excruciatingly boring for more than 75% of the jurors.

A rubix cube? Those still around?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:06 am

Oh yeah, one sitting in my living room, and they still sell em new almost anywhere they sell new toys.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Indians88 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:43 am

Thanks guys, I had the number to call and everything on the sheet. I got it late last night and I couldn't call because obviously it was closed. On the sheet of exemptions it said nothing about being a student, and I was just wondering if anyone on here knew if I would be exempt. Thanks for your help.
Indians88

Unread postby buckeye319 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:15 pm

You'd probably learning more in jury duty than any college course anyway. :-) :smile: :)
buckeye319

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby Indians88 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:22 pm

buckeye319 wrote:You'd probably learning more in jury duty than any college course anyway. :-) :smile: :)

Not really actually. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I wasn't taking stuff like human physiology and organic chemistry. Those classes I know that I need to do well in because those are classes that will be looked at when it comes to getting into medical school.
Indians88

Unread postby General » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:38 pm

Indians88 wrote:
buckeye319 wrote:You'd probably learning more in jury duty than any college course anyway. :-) :smile: :)

Not really actually. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I wasn't taking stuff like human physiology and organic chemistry. Those classes I know that I need to do well in because those are classes that will be looked at when it comes to getting into medical school.

Human Physiology=Crazy Horse
Organic Chemistry=Check out some of the chemical reactions at the tailgate
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:59 pm

StewieG wrote:Just tell them you believe the party to be guilty, to be punishable by death. Even if it's for a simple matter.

Or tell them you're a big-time bible pusher, and believe in an eye-for-an-eye. The crazier the look on your face, the better.

Problem with this is, they'll still keep you the two weeks anyway, even if you don't get a trial.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:35 pm

I got summoned last year to appear on my second day of classes. I was excused immediately.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby ThisIsNat » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:57 am

I got a summons when I was in college, and had to write a letter explaining that I was student teaching, and while the school could live without the student teacher present, it would have seriously affected my last semester of college if I missed two chances to be observed. I was cleared after writing a letter, told I would be called again within the year, and it's been ten and I haven't heard! (Knock on wood...)
ThisIsNat

Favorite Player: Bernie/Omar
Least Favorite Player: T.O.

Return to No Holds Barred