Text Size

No Holds Barred

Walk A Mile In His Shoes Regina

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Walk A Mile In His Shoes Regina

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:15 am

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:27 am

I really know nothing about this cop or the situation up there, but how arrogant can you be? This columnist has likely never had to deal with the things that cops deal with. No calls to check out suspicious activity. I doubt she feels very threatened sitting in her office at the PD.

Maybe if the criminals know they might get shot and killed while doing something illegal then maybe they'll be less likely to do it. Home robberies are down markedly in Florida since our state passed a law that allows our citizens to shoot home invaders if they feel threatened. After a couple of deaths many of the thieves stopped even trying because they now see a public that is no longer afraid of them. Same goes for the cops if they use deadly force in situations that warrant it. Don't make an officer feel threatened. If you comply with their demands then you don't have a problem.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:19 am

Third comment from the bottom of the article....

Posted by LTEdit on 07/16/08 at 8:40AM
I'm going to have to agree with stktip, I think Phillip Morris was a lot closer to the truth with his column regarding this officer. I suppose you'd have Batman taken off the streets of Gotham because he beats down thugs without reading them Miranda rights

Mac, you really need to ween yourself off the Batman dude.

Honestly though, this is ridiculous. Unless you have all of the specific play by play from all of these incidents, don't assume anything or jump to any conclusions. This column was a waste of her time writing it and my time reading it. Pathetic.
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:38 am

See you next Tuesday Regina.

She's awful. I don't know if there's ever been a collection of more pitiful, useless writers, gathered under one roof.

If you can't give me quality at least give me something unpredictable.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:23 am

How ignorant can one person be. If the PD continues to employ morons their circulation will continue to dwindle.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby pup » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:47 am

When did JFiling start ghosting at the PD?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:48 am

Pup wrote:When did JFiling start ghosting at the PD?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:00 pm

Ziner wrote:

OK, I have to admit that's funny. At least unless you are one of the people this guy is so proud to have killed. I'm going to research every shooting incident this guy has had and try to get some sense of his judgment. I'm sure wanting to know a bit more about that won't increase my popularity on this issue, but I'm curious.

By the way, the latest person killed by Officer Malone was in a truck and "reaching down." He might have been going for a gun, he might have had an itch on his ankle. Anyone have a link to a story clearing that up?

Never mind: http://www.ohio.com/news/ap?articleID=600997&c=y

Police have not recovered a weapon from Hackworth nor the truck, Stacho said.

So this officer killed an unarmed man. Yep, hero.

EDIT: Please read my below posts before you comment on this. I've left the original text as is, but you might change your mind after reading this to see what I've posted below.
Last edited by jfiling on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:10 pm

http://clevelandpress.com/clnews-july.htm

(Cleveland, OH) -- Prosecutors in Cleveland have ruled that a January 9th shooting that left 38-year-old Michael Ciacchi dead was justifiable. Police say Ciacchi pointed a gun at officers. Cleveland cop Jim Simone was shot during the incident, but investigators say the bullet came from the gun of a fellow officer. Luckily, Simone was wearing a bulletproof vest. The shooting occurred on Stickney Avenue in Old Brooklyn.

I don't know if Simone fired the killing shot, but this is obviously justified. Even a dope-smoking lefty like me (as I've been characterized) can see that.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:15 pm

On a rainy November morning in 1983, Simone descended into a church basement in search of an armed robber. The room was decorated with cutout Thanksgiving turkeys and appeared empty, but there was a closet that needed checking. Backed by Patrolmen John Thomas and Brian Miller, Simone knelt down and turned the doorknob.

Suddenly, the door flew open. "The first thing I remember was the gun coming out of the darkness and the barrel of the gun just touching my face," Simone says.

The bullet tore through his cheekbone, ripped through the inside of his face, and blew out under his left ear. He collapsed in pain, his face spurting blood. Thomas and Miller ran for cover, but were each shot. Then the suspect fired twice more at Simone, missing each time.

"I reared back off the floor like a coiled snake and put the gun in front of me and started firing," says Simone, who owns a gift for dramatic storytelling. He fired five times, though he didn't know whether he hit the man. Simone crawled out of the room to reload.

Lieutenant Gregory Baeppler charged into the basement and dragged Simone to safety. "Jimmy was passing in and out of consciousness," says Baeppler. "I'll always remember he wanted me to tell his daughters what happened down there. And I didn't want to do that duty, so I told him he was going to do it himself."

Sure enough, Simone was the first of the injured officers to check out of the hospital. The suspect wasn't so fortunate. Mennis Workman, the 31-year-old owner of a failing body shop, was pronounced dead from a chest wound. One of Simone's bullets had found its mark.

http://www.clevescene.com/2002-06-06/news/supercop/full

Obviously justified. I'm also starting to see why he was suspicious of the unarmed robber. At least give me some credit for doing the investigating and looking at him in a different light before you pummel me with criticism.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:34 am

jfiling wrote:
Ziner wrote:

OK, I have to admit that's funny. At least unless you are one of the people this guy is so proud to have killed. I'm going to research every shooting incident this guy has had and try to get some sense of his judgment. I'm sure wanting to know a bit more about that won't increase my popularity on this issue, but I'm curious.

By the way, the latest person killed by Officer Malone was in a truck and "reaching down." He might have been going for a gun, he might have had an itch on his ankle. Anyone have a link to a story clearing that up?

Never mind: http://www.ohio.com/news/ap?articleID=600997&c=y

Police have not recovered a weapon from Hackworth nor the truck, Stacho said.

So this officer killed an unarmed man. Yep, hero.

EDIT: Please read my below posts before you comment on this. I've left the original text as is, but you might change your mind after reading this to see what I've posted below.

Well, then, he picked a hell of a time to itch his ankle. This has been gone over ad nauseum - a cop isn't trained to guess if he's reaching for something harmless or not. Again, follow the f-in' rules, keep your hands in sight, and your toes are still tappin'. Cocking around at this time isn't the best choice, and no, maybe you don't deserve to die for it, but it's nobodies fault except your own.

You really gotta stop man, I mean Jesus H. Christ, expecting the police to be mind readers and KNOW a person is unarmed. More police get killed on routine traffic stops then in any other situation, so if someone gets pulled over and is fucking around with there pockets or reaching in consoles it behooves the person who wants to stay alive to be proactive instead of reactive.

For you to put a reactionary burden on the side of the LAW is ridicuous.

As for the article, what a bunch of horseshit journalism. Acting like the guy is skipping around the precinct because he picked off another one. No context, just horrible.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:00 am

Lead Pipe wrote:
jfiling wrote:EDIT: Please read my below posts before you comment on this. I've left the original text as is, but you might change your mind after reading this to see what I've posted below.

Well, then, he picked a hell of a time to itch his ankle. This has been gone over ad nauseum - a cop isn't trained to guess if he's reaching for something harmless or not. Again, follow the f-in' rules, keep your hands in sight, and your toes are still tappin'. Cocking around at this time isn't the best choice, and no, maybe you don't deserve to die for it, but it's nobodies fault except your own.

You really gotta stop man, I mean Jesus H. Christ, expecting the police to be mind readers and KNOW a person is unarmed. More police get killed on routine traffic stops then in any other situation, so if someone gets pulled over and is fucking around with there pockets or reaching in consoles it behooves the person who wants to stay alive to be proactive instead of reactive.

For you to put a reactionary burden on the side of the LAW is ridicuous.

As for the article, what a bunch of horseshit journalism. Acting like the guy is skipping around the precinct because he picked off another one. No context, just horrible.

Pipe, you reacted to this long after I had made that edit. I totally understand why this cop reacted. It's nothing but a damn tragedy that this stupid-ass bank robber decided to act like he had a gun to a person that identified himself as a cop. You do bring up some other issues that would probably need a different thread to be properly discussed, but I'm going to stick to this cop, and like I've said, the two other fatal shootings (out of a total of five) that I've been able to find articles on were more than justified. I'll put up a YouTube video of me eating crow if it helps.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:06 am

By the way, Pipe, your assertion that "more police get killed on routine traffic stops than in any other situation" is flat out wrong.

http://www.tearsofacop.com/police/articles/lewis.html

More than twice as many cops kill themselves than are killed in the line of duty. Make of that what you will.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:21 am

I was just doing some further investigating on the above topic, and found something really classy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/08/nyreg ... nted=print
But some law enforcement leaders would rather not acknowledge the problem, given the emotional and financial implications that can hang in the balance. Officers who fall in the line of duty have their names etched on a prominent wall at the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund in Washington and posted on Internet sites. Their funerals are better attended, and their survivors are typically eligible for some $300,000 from the federal government alone, as well as college scholarships.

“When you’re killed in the line of duty, you get a huge send-off,” said Mr. Mitchell, who also served as police chief in Prince George’s County, Md. “It’s a hero’s send-off, and that doesn’t happen if you kill yourself. There’s a stigma attached to it.”

Mr. Mitchell said that he has “seen a number of staged murders that were actually suicides,” similar to the scene where Officer Morelli was found.

That's great. The thin blue line is covering up police suicides so that families can get taxpayer benefits. If the police unions want to set up a suicide-neutral benefit plan, I'd be all for that, but this is a little ridiculous.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:41 pm

These scumbag criminals put their own lives in someone else's hands by not following the rules. It really is not that difficult to be a law-abiding citizen. And I'm not talking about speed limits or any other traffic violations. I'm talking about not robbing banks, not peddling drugs, not carrying unlawful concealed weapons.

Regina Scott is a joke. To say that Simone is "not a good cop, but a cop with good aim" sickens me. Sure he has one of the highest, if not the highest, kill ratio in the force, he has no fear of going in to tough situations. Not only has he been shot, but he was hit by a car in my neighborhood a couple months back. Give the man credit for protecting our children, families, and houses. He's doing the job he signed up to do.

People want to criticize police officers all the time, but what would you do in their position? Instead of criticizing police officers, criticize these scumbag criminals for peddling drugs, holding illegal firearms and breaking the laws. Whatever happened to them is just desserts for being detrimental to society.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:03 pm

jfiling wrote:By the way, Pipe, your assertion that "more police get killed on routine traffic stops than in any other situation" is flat out wrong.

More than twice as many cops kill themselves than are killed in the line of duty. Make of that what you will.

How bout more police are killed IN THE LINE OF DUTY on routine traffic stops then any other action.

Which is to the point of the above. How many commit suicide, or fall off a cliff on vacation off duty isn't the point of this conversation. Although, suppose laying your life on the line and not being appreciated for it might lead to some depression.....
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby buckeye319 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:15 pm

The problem with Scott's article was that she criticized the cop without providing context of his shootings. There's certainly nothing wrong about investigating a cop who has killed 5 people on the job - but this seems to be speculation, which is unfair. The Beacon article obviously shows there's some concern with his actions, to say the least, but as a journalist you have to provide something more than Scott did.

To imply government and communities should not critique, investigate, or constantly review law enforcement is absurd, you just have to do it in a professional manner.
buckeye319

Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:04 pm

buckeye319 wrote:The problem with Scott's article was that she criticized the cop without providing context of his shootings. There's certainly nothing wrong about investigating a cop who has killed 5 people on the job - but this seems to be speculation, which is unfair. The Beacon article obviously shows there's some concern with his actions, to say the least, but as a journalist you have to provide something more than Scott did.

To imply government and communities should not critique, investigate, or constantly review law enforcement is absurd, you just have to do it in a professional manner.

How is anyone implying anything like that in this thread Buckeye? No one said that or implied it imo. I have a journalism degree myself. It's old and yellowing. Her piece was horseshit and a hatchet job that didn't offer justification for one word of it.

But she stopped counting at 500 responses to it.

That was her entire goal.

I think people here are fed up with a handful of lefy libs immediately assuming the worst out of the police as opposed to the criminal. Whether the cop has killed 5 criminals or 1 makes no difference. There's nothing out there indicating Simone's shootings are anything other than above board.

Do due diligence. But how about embarking on that journey without looking to crucify the cop?
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby buckeye319 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:03 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
buckeye319 wrote:The problem with Scott's article was that she criticized the cop without providing context of his shootings. There's certainly nothing wrong about investigating a cop who has killed 5 people on the job - but this seems to be speculation, which is unfair. The Beacon article obviously shows there's some concern with his actions, to say the least, but as a journalist you have to provide something more than Scott did.

How is anyone implying anything like that in this thread Buckeye? No one said that or implied it imo. I have a journalism degree myself. It's old and yellowing. Her piece was horseshit and a hatchet job that didn't offer justification for one word of it.

I think people here are fed up with a handful of lefy libs immediately assuming the worst out of the police as opposed to the criminal. Whether the cop has killed 5 criminals or 1 makes no difference. There's nothing out there indicating Simone's shootings are anything other than above board.

Do due diligence. But how about embarking on that journey without looking to crucify the cop?

Peeker, I said that because that's where I sensed the general theme of that side of the argument was going. Scott's job was a hatchet piece, I'm not denying that - which is why I said her article was flawed. But what I was saying is that there's nothing wrong with looking into these instances, and the Beacon and Scene article raise some serious questions about his actions. Scott's basic argument is that this guy should be looked, which is fine because if he did nothing wrong then he won't have to worry about it. It was the unprofessional manner and tactics that was the problem with the article.

My overall point is that one shouldn't outright condemn Simone, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be some sort of quasi-independent investigation (in the theoretical sense - I would highly doubt their will ever be one).
buckeye319

Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:18 pm

buckeye319 wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

Peeker, I said that because that's where I sensed the general theme of that side of the argument was going. Scott's job was a hatchet piece, I'm not denying that - which is why I said her article was flawed. But what I was saying is that there's nothing wrong with looking into these instances, and the Beacon and Scene article raise some serious questions about his actions. Scott's basic argument is that this guy should be looked, which is fine because if he did nothing wrong then he won't have to worry about it. It was the unprofessional manner and tactics that was the problem with the article.

My overall point is that one shouldn't outright condemn Simone, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be some sort of quasi-independent investigation (in the theoretical sense - I would highly doubt their will ever be one).

We're on the same page Buckeye. I have no problem with reviewing his shoots. It should be done. It should just be done. as you said, with an open mind and no other agenda.

One shouldn't condemn him at all. Unless he's done something worthy of condemnation.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:28 pm

I'm as big of a bleeding-heart lefty as their is, and I think that article was total garbage. Awful, awful writing all around. I moved away 3 years ago and don't check the PD online, and now I'm glad. Are some cops A-holes, sure, but they have the right to be, because they are the ones I call when I can't handle something. Cops are like middle linebackers, I want them mean, tough and willing to do what it takes to get the job done. I'm with the Reverend, I've had my run-ins with the Long Arm, follow the rules and you won't need to see them.

And that was really a poorly written article
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:14 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Third comment from the bottom of the article....

Mac, you really need to ween yourself off the Batman dude.

Wasn't me, though I appreciate the thought. ;)

At least I'm not the only one going insane for Batman this weekend.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:04 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:
jfiling wrote:By the way, Pipe, your assertion that "more police get killed on routine traffic stops than in any other situation" is flat out wrong.

How bout more police are killed IN THE LINE OF DUTY on routine traffic stops then any other action.

Which is to the point of the above. How many commit suicide, or fall off a cliff on vacation off duty isn't the point of this conversation. Although, suppose laying your life on the line and not being appreciated for it might lead to some depression.....

Fair enough. I misread your statement, but yes, while on duty, more cops are killed on traffic stops than any other situation. It is completely understandable the stress they must be under every time they pull a guy over.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:[Well, then, he picked a hell of a time to itch his ankle. This has been gone over ad nauseum - a cop isn't trained to guess if he's reaching for something harmless or not. Again, follow the f-in' rules, keep your hands in sight, and your toes are still tappin'. Cocking around at this time isn't the best choice, and no, maybe you don't deserve to die for it, but it's nobodies fault except your own.

"Darwin being Darwin"
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Return to No Holds Barred