Text Size

No Holds Barred

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:03 pm

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/710170/

My psychology professor mentioned something like this during one of his classes. Basically stating that there is a norm when it comes to elevators. If you walk into an elevator, and the people already inside it are facing the other way, you probably won't go into that elevator. Why though? They're just facing the other way around. It's because it isn't the norm.

Funny though. How would you react in this situation? Probably the same way.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Funny.

IMO it has as much to do with not wanting to stand nose to nose with a total stranger in such a confined space. Similar to walking into a movie theater with only a few movie goers in their seats yet. Most people will choose to leave a seat or two between them and the people already there. Just a personal space thing.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby BDFD » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:20 pm

I would not walk into the elevator either. I'm the type of guy where I'd just come out and say 'Why is everyone facing the other direction? then wait for the response. I'd be afraid it would be like an episode of the Twilight Zone where everyone turns around and they are all disfigured or something.

In regards to the video, I would face what I thought to be the appropriate direction at the time... which is staring at the ceiling while facing the right wall.
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:42 pm

It's interesting. Allen Funt wasn't beyond staging some of his stunts, especially in his more adult Candid Candid Camera material, so I'm not sure how "real" it is. I know that I just try to flat out ignore people in elevators, and why would someone turn their back on the floor indicator just because other people were? The only I care about is when my floor comes up, not what everyone else in the elevator is doing. Unless they let a nasty fart.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Return to No Holds Barred