Text Size

No Holds Barred

Need your help, which laptop should I get??

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Need your help, which laptop should I get??

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:30 pm

I was looking at the hp530 small business computer. It has 1GB ram and its $464 with free shipping. (buy.com)

There is also the Toshiba A205 s5800 that was taking out of the plastic to upgrade to 2.5GB ram and 120 GB harddrive. It is brand spanking new, and is 548 with free shipping. (ebay power seller/store).

I'm just going to use this laptop for the typing papers, web surfing and i only need java and windows media player ran. I'd like to have a few windows open at a time without freezing and what not. Which computer would you go with? Would you trust ebay?
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:01 am

I know nothing about computers... but I just wanted to say that I want a laptop too.

The end.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby BDFD » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:52 am

I work in the industry and can only recommend either Dell or HP laptops. Toshiba used to make a great laptop but they have slipped in the past few years. Sony makes stereo equipment, not computers. Then there is always Apple...

Just to add a thing or two, I would not buy a computer off of eBay. I would only buy one from the company that makes it or from a store. That way you can (easily) return it if there is an issue. In regards to a used computer, the hard drive is pretty much the only mechanical component in a computer and the more it was in use, the more likely it is to die a quicker death. They sure don't make them like they used to...

The rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. Just make sure it has 2GB RAM as it will probably come pre-installed with Windows Vista. 1GB RAM w/ Vista is considered usable but is ultimately a fairly miserable experince.
Last edited by BDFD on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:07 am

So... Dell, HP, or Apple?
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby BDFD » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:15 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:So... Dell, HP, or Apple?

Dell and HP to me are considered to be identical in regards to features, price, support, and overall construction. Apple is only if you are brave and can work through the learning curve of OS X and the various incompatabilities with programs that would notmally run on a Windows machine. Me? Dude, I'm getting a Dell (but a higher-end model).
BDFD

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:21 am

Well, then I'll look for a Dell when the times comes for me to get one.

LOL, I like how you basically helped me out even though this isn't my thread.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:05 pm

Dell has terrible customer service (its in India), so you can't talk to someone who speaks clearly and its VERY frustrating.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby BDFD » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:51 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:Dell has terrible customer service (its in India), so you can't talk to someone who speaks clearly and its VERY frustrating.
I'm not so sure about that. I'm not doubting that they do, but every time I have had to call I talked to someone in the USA (mainly with servers, I suppose that may be the difference). HP has tech support in India, too. Show me a company that doesn't these days.
BDFD

Unread postby buckeye319 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:00 pm

I've had decent customer service with my Dell laptop, but I also had tons of problems with it as well. I can only comment on my Dell experience, and it wasn't very good - blue screens, hard-drive crash, battery failed - all kinds of stuff.

I'm an Apple guy now, and loving it. Remember you can now get Microsoft Office for Apple, which is great. However, Mac laptops are so much more expensive that I could see why you would shy away from them. In that regard, Dell does seem to get you the most bang for your buck.
buckeye319

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby General » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:50 pm

Can I get Halle Berry for my laptop?
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:23 pm

i decided to go with the HP
4thQtrGlory