Text Size

No Holds Barred

National and Ethnic Pride

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

National and Ethnic Pride

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:37 pm

Since Carlin's passing, I've been thinking about his routines, mostly the ones that really got me thinking. And the one I'd like to talk about (and hopefully with a few of you) is the one regarding national and ethnic pride.

What Carlin basically says is that he just doesn't get it. He says that he reserves "pride" for things that people accomplish on their own, not by genetic accident.

"If you're happy to be an American, then say that. 'Happy to be an American.' Don't be proud. Too much pride already. 'Pride goeth before a fall.' Never forget proverbs..."

I agree with him, for the most part.

Thoughts?
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:54 pm

I am damn proud to be an American. It is a choice, some people aren't proud and decide to leave.

I am not proud to be half Czech and quarter German and quarter Irish. Because I am American, not European. One of my biggest pet peeves is for people to pretend like they are ethnic because their great-grandparents came from Italy/Germany/Ireland etc...no offense to you Daego's but you guys are the worst. How many of you who pretend to be Italian have ever been there?
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby BDFD » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:40 pm

I agree with both of you, or at least Ziner and The Butcher on George Carlin's behalf. I am damn proud to be an American as well but me being an American in the first place was an accident (Being born in America, that is. I was planned as far as I'm told...).

Sometimes when people ask me what nationality I am, I tell them I'm American and then let them know where my grandpartents are from. Which, coincidentally, is Italy.

Ziner wrote:I am not proud to be half Czech and quarter German and quarter Irish. Because I am American, not European. One of my biggest pet peeves is for people to pretend like they are ethnic because their great-grandparents came from Italy/Germany/Ireland etc...no offense to you Daego's but you guys are the worst. How many of you who pretend to be Italian have ever been there?

I certainly do not pretend to be Italian nor will I probably ever go Italy (one would imagine it is not an inexpensive trip to go to Italy for a few days). I will probably take that money and do something else a bit more constructive with it, like most others with Italian backgrounds I'm sure. I grew up in a very Italian household with two grandparents that were right off the boat. The cooking, the traditions, talking in Italian at the dinner table. The whole nine. I can certainly see how this can rub off on someone.

All I'm saying is I do not walk around acting like Rocky Balboa or anything but I can certainly understand why some people may.
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby mrburns » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:11 am

I agree with you guys, we're Americans. My ancestors may have come from Ireland, Germany, and England, and that's cool, but I'm an American.

As far as patriotism is concerned, I think love of country and love of government are too often homogenized. I love the USA through and through, but I strongly disagree with many of our government's recent choices, particularly with foreign policy and the violation of our Bill of Rights (read: warrantless wire tapping, bypassing due process).

Blind nationalism can be dangerous. Question the government. Question authority. If the founding fathers had decided to follow their leaders like lemmings, we'd be flying the Union Jack right now.

I like Mark Twain's take on patriotism: "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby General » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:43 am

I know it is a cliche but....I love our country but fear our government.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby General » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:47 am

Ziner wrote:I am damn proud to be an American. It is a choice, some people aren't proud and decide to leave.

I am not proud to be half Czech and quarter German and quarter Irish. Because I am American, not European. One of my biggest pet peeves is for people to pretend like they are ethnic because their great-grandparents came from Italy/Germany/Ireland etc...no offense to you Daego's but you guys are the worst. How many of you who pretend to be Italian have ever been there?

My ancestry lies in Sicily, and I can dig what your saying there are some hard core dagos that make me cringe, but I am proud of my ethnic background for alot of the reasons listed above in BDFD's post. My family is proud of it and it is also the source of much comedy when we get together and act out like the "italians" you speak of.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:02 am

BTW, I didnt want to offend any Americans who might have Italian decent. I should have clarified that the Italians that act like they are in the Goodfellas or something they are the ones on my nerves. Part of this stems from living in Little Italy while in Cleveland. They thought they owned the block and could do as they please. Many were very rude. I will never forget this 5 foot daego driving over to his cousins house because we had a disagreement like he was going to kick my ass... I couldnt stop laughing at him. I am not that big but at 6 foot 210, I could take him pretty easily. Some of them just walk around with a hard on for life and need to show how tough and "italian" they are
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:13 am

I personally have to follow Carlin for the most part here.

I am not proud to be American, because I believe, like him, that pride should be reserved for something someone does on their own; a personal accomplishment. However, that does not mean I hate America. I love this place. I just believe there is too much pride in this world already. And we can and have abused it.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Return to No Holds Barred