Text Size

No Holds Barred

Do we, as human beings, love money too much?

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Well... do we?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 16

Do we, as human beings, love money too much?

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:25 am

Pleez anzer zee quez-jon.

Explaining/elaborating on your answer in a sentence or two would be great.
Last edited by Bill the Butcher on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:01 am

I don't think so. I think some Americans like to go on guilt trips about our consumption, yet that consumption is what keeps a lot of people around the world employed. Increased academic consumption leads to more professors. Increased TV consumption leads to more actors, engineers, directors, manufacturers, etc.

Can people spend unwisely? Certainly. I think it best to live within your means and doing so can actually keep prices down somewhat, but I don't think we love money too much. Maybe we love the things we can buy with money too much, though that can depend. I can't say that I really love any of the stuff I've purchased. I often enjoy it and am more than willing to share most everything with friends, family, and acquaintances. I invite people over to watch movies. I let people drive my cars. I've also employed plenty of people by selling stuff and have tried to pay as well as I can while keeping a reasonable bottom line.

It's ultimately consumption that drives this site and the sports teams it represents. Why do players make so much? Consumption funds them. How much money has everyone given to the Indians, Browns, Buckeyes, or Cavs just by buying products, tickets, etc?

I think that we're not too in love with money, though I do think we're often out of touch with thankfulness. Thankful that we have so much. I do think it is easy to also lose the spirit of giving. With the money I earn I give quite a bit to my church, Habitat for Humanity, the Salvation Army, and World Vision. I also have helped out the Salvation Army locally quite a bit and admire all they do to help people throughout the world - but they hold people accountable as well. I've seen so many lives turned around by them.

Our great wealth brings great responsibility and I think we've done quite well. Americans still give more of their incomes to charity than any other people on the planet. It has been that way for a long time. We need to be sure we never lose the personal responsibility that has fueled this nation - a responsibility that calls us to be charitable, to help others, and to expect others to be able to stand on their own feet eventually.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:04 am

I wasn't necessarily talking about Americans particularly. I kinda meant human beings in general. I should've been more clear about that. Great, thoughtful answer though. Thank you for that, MacPhisto.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:39 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:I wasn't necessarily talking about Americans particularly. I kinda meant human beings in general. I should've been more clear about that. Great, thoughtful answer though. Thank you for that, MacPhisto.

I'd say a majority of humans don't because, even now, a majority of us don't have much of it. Though sometimes that lack of money can lead to despair and increased violence, sometimes the opposite happens. It's funny how happy many people that don't have so much, just enough to get by, can be happier than those with so much. I'm a big believer that if money is your only pursuit then your life can be pretty empty. If you end up earning a lot with that not being your goal then it is possible to be much happier than the one who worked only for the money and rarely for the enjoyment of working.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:59 am

In my humble opinion, through what I have seen, heard, and felt, I believe that we humans can, and often times do, love money too much.

I truly believe humans (not all, I don't want to speak in absolutes) in general are willing to do anything for money. Anything.

Regardless of our ability to solve math problems and build airplanes, we're still a primitive species that fall for the simplist things. Even things that technically have no real value in this world... although, you can argue that man can create value for anything.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:25 pm

67 views and only 9 votes? Boooooooooooooo.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:33 pm

Americans; yes. Humans; no. American's don't really love money, they love things and you don't need money to buy things, just plastic. That's why American is $8 trillion or so (and growing every second) in debt; because they spend money that they don't have on things that they don't need.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:56 pm

How can you not love money? It's what makes your livelihood, buys your food, clothes your body, and keeps you living under shelter. And if you can't afford those things, somebody else's money comes in a government check for you.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby buckeye319 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:19 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:How can you not love money? It's what makes your livelihood, buys your food, clothes your body, and keeps you living under shelter. And if you can't afford those things, somebody else's money comes in a government check for you.

Eh, money obviously is a necessity for survival, but that doesn't necessarily mean constantly coveting money and material items is a good thing.

Desire for money may be good in a economic/nationalist sense, but its probably detrimental, at least from my view, from a spiritual/human rights perspective.
buckeye319

Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:44 pm

buckeye319 wrote:Eh, money obviously is a necessity for survival, but that doesn't necessarily mean constantly coveting money and material items is a good thing.

Desire for money may be good in a economic/nationalist sense, but its probably detrimental, at least from my view, from a spiritual/human rights perspective.

Well, if you don't love the fact that you can be alive and have a decent well being because you have money, then I'm sorry.

People choose to have materialistic possessions, which cost them money. If they loved money, in its literal sense, everyone would horde their money and not put it back into the economy. The fact that people have disposable income, and some more than others, keeps our economic infrastructure going.

Therefore, yes, people should love money, and they do.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:01 pm

IMO we are programmed to "love" or "require" money by society in general and even by our own parental figures.

How far we take it from there is up to us.

FTR I actually hate money, but you gotta have it.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:30 pm

FUDU wrote:IMO we are programmed to "love" or "require" money by society in general and even by our own parental figures.

That's how I feel, as well. I honestly believe that money holds us hostage, in a way.
Bill the Butcher

Return to No Holds Barred