Text Size

No Holds Barred

Materialistic dreams/goals.

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Materialistic dreams/goals.

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:25 am

We all know the cliches...money doesn't buy happiness, the only thing you can count on is family/friends, etc etc etc.

But let's be honest, we're human and most of us live in America, the land of opportunity, so we are susceptible to materialism to some degree. Nothing wrong with materialism really, like many things it is about moderation.

So what are some of your materialistic dreams.

Mine I'm into high performance cars, so much of my materialism surrounds cars, ones in which I'd like to put into a 3-4 car garage someday.

Also hope to have my own game room some day with 4-6 classic video games.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:52 am

I'd love to open a restaurant. I spent 6 years earlier in life in the restaurant business and it's never left my blood. I love to cook, eat, drink, and interact with people.

I'm 31, the goal is by age 40. My kids will be older, and it gives me a lot of time to really develop a cool network of websites and partnerships here locally. I love what I do during the day now, so there is no professional or financial pressure to whore out myself or my websites in an effort to make things happen quicker.

Great homemade Italian food, super wine list, several great local beers on draft. One bar inside with several TVs, one outside with a nice outdoor eating area where I could have live bands come in on Fri/Sat night.

Ideally somewhere downtown, with TCF Corporate Headquarters right next door.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:15 am

31?

WTF you Dick Clark.

I thought for sure you were closer to my age of 36.

Anyway sounds like a nice goal, Italian though, aren't you Polish?

:P :-P :razz:

I'm roughly two years from my goal of the Viper, maybe 2.5 years depending on the fuel conversion to make it worth driving.

I too have a business goal, it is big and involves changing the face of some things in America today, but too detailed to get into here and would turn this into a political discussion.

FUDU

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:20 am

Yeah, JB could be my grampa.

Over half Italian.

Moms side all 100% Sicilian Italian. Old man half Ukranian, half mixed.
Last edited by swerb on Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:24 am

FUDU

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:31 am

My all time favorite Seinfeld episode.

Before I got married, I was a huge Risk geek. We used to play all the time. I'd give a pinky for the ability to devote a whole day to a six man game of old school world domination Risk.

We'd order food delivery, guy would get there, we'd tell him "Bring back the same order in five hours".

"I've built a stronghold around Greenland, I'm driving you out of Western Europe, and have you TEETERING on the brink of COMPLETE annihilation!"

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:08 pm

Rich, that restaurant idea is awesome, and I bet you make it happen. I have that dream too, it just requires waiting a few more year until my son graduates high school and I can quit paying all the damn child support and other bills, and make a huge dent in my student loans. I want to open a place in downtown Akron with a varied and healthy menu for workers to come eat lunch. Or, a version of Slyman's.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:17 pm

You guys want a sure fire can't miss restaurant idea, and I am dead serious when I say this, put up a fast food type place in West Park that is simply accountable and reliable and you'll be millionaires.

The McDonalds on w150th near Lorain is beyond pathetic, yet they are the only one around so they get tons of business. Any given day of the week the place is packed inside and out, the current problem is it takes minimum 8 minutes to get your food even when not crowded, usually about 15-18 minutes though.

That is literally how bad the service is at this place.

I was stuck in the drive thru today for about 15 minutes, couldn't get out b/c the cars are too close together. I could have started a riot though when I did pull out of line the way I did it and with the F bombs I was throwin.

You put up a competing place and you'll drive them off and be successful with 5 months guaranteed.

FUDU

Unread postby mswerb » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:09 pm

I just want to win the lottery, buy a small compamy to bank on the money it makes and be free to do what I want. My wife can't comprehend a couple million dollars, but I sure as hell can.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Guest » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:01 pm

I want to be able to cover every mma event and big fight as a full time gig.
I'd also want to own a sports store. Jerseys/cards/lids. Nothing too crazy.

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:49 am

Swerb wrote: I'd give a pinky for the ability to devote a whole day to a six man game of old school world domination Risk.

"I've built a stronghold around Greenland, I'm driving you out of Western Europe, and have you TEETERING on the brink of COMPLETE annihilation!"

When Tropical Storm Ernesto hit down here a few years ago we were with out power for a few days. So we fired up the grill, cooked eveything in the freezer, filled the coolers with beer and played Risk for almost 24 hours. Used a couple of Coleman lanters to get through the night. Excellent way to spend a natural disaster.

I'd like to get payed to do this all year. Sunday mornings on ESPN has a lot of fishing shows, every week I sit down with a cup of coffee and watch with envy.

This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:26 am

Does owning one's own utopian island on which one build's one's own utopian city and develops one's own nuclear weapons program and declares one's independence count, or is that stretching even the definition of "dream"?
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:43 pm

Someday, I'm gonna own a big sports bar.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:43 pm

In no particular order.

1. Buy a drumset and stack it high.
2. Buy a 1993 Toyota Supra.
3. Buy a new electric guitar.
4. Buy a new acoustic guitar.
5. Buy a bigger amplifier.
6. Get my pilot's license.
7. See the Australian Open, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, and U.S. Open.
8. Shoot a sniper rifle.
9. Buy a killer HDTV along with some surround system.
10. Write my own feature film script (in the works.)
11. Buy a prosumer DV camera.
12. Direct a film.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:40 pm

Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?
Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man.
Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?
Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.
Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.
Lawrence: Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.
Peter Gibbons: Good point.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Naxos » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:45 pm

Well since it is my Birthday today I want:

A finished basement with a theater, model train room, game room, and bar.

A professionally landscaped patio with outdoor cooking area, maybe an inground pool, shed or cabana area.

New washer and dryer (for my wife).

I want my family room and the couple of other rooms that are not yet painted, painted since I don't feel like setting up scafolding and moving the furniture to do it myself.
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:31 pm

At one point, the dream was to retire early and live out my life in a little cottage in Ireland, golfing and drinking every damn day.

That was back a few years ago while I was working at a very soul sucking job.

Now?

I'd love to take a one year sabbatical in about five years, and live in Ireland during that time, travelling all about Europe.

What may be more realistic short term would be to buy a small house/cabin up in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains. I can get there in a little over an hour and a half, and if work continues to go as it is, I could both afford it, and actually stay there three or four days a week if it's wired for Internet as I could telecommute.

Only speculation is that it would have to have a walk-out basement that I could turn into my Browns Man-Cave. Bar...kegerator...satellite...pool table...and a grill the size of a medium Buick.

Oh, yeah...it'll also be close enough to get to Olde Beau golf course, so I could be hosting some golf outings for certain people I know from Ohio.

http://www.oldebeau.com/

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:53 am

Farva: It doesn't matter cause I'm going to win ten million dollars.

Thorny: What are you going to do with ten million dollars? And you can't say buy the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Farva: I'd buy a ten million dollar car.

Thorny: That's fine I'd still pull you over.

Farva: Bull Shit. You couldn't pull me over, and even if you did I'd activate my car's wings and I'd fly away.

[Farva pulls off ticket from cup and pop spills all over him from the hole behind the ticket]

Farva: Dammit, you burger punk. You son of a bitch!
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:54 am

Oh, yeah...it'll also be close enough to get to Olde Beau golf course, so I could be hosting some golf outings for certain people I know from Ohio.

http://www.oldebeau.com/

Dude! That place looks sweet Mitch.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:38 am

Swerb wrote:

Over half Italian.

Swerbini's?
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:
Swerb wrote:

Over half Italian.

Swerbini's?

I like it.

Put a little table outside the front door where I can hang with my inner circle, greet people, and eat gabagool ... not unlike the setup at Satriale's in The Sopranos.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Swerb wrote:My all time favorite Seinfeld episode.

Before I got married, I was a huge Risk geek. We used to play all the time. I'd give a pinky for the ability to devote a whole day to a six man game of old school world domination Risk.

We'd order food delivery, guy would get there, we'd tell him "Bring back the same order in five hours".

I don't think I've ever finished a game of Risk. The father of a friend once said that they should rename the game: RISK... Your Friendship. Every game I've been involved in has devolved into a really nasty shouting match or, in the case with my brother, a fighting match. Other guys don't like it when you have them teetering on the brink of complete annihilation. I've been close to closing out games and then the people I'm about to take out end up losing it or someone else will open up and dominate and another player always ends up whining.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby jb » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:10 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Does owning one's own utopian island on which one build's one's own utopian city and develops one's own nuclear weapons program and declares one's independence count, or is that stretching even the definition of "dream"?

Just run again this guy:

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to No Holds Barred