Text Size

No Holds Barred

Tax Differences, 1999 to 2008

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Tax Differences, 1999 to 2008

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:54 am

www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/151.html

Federal income tax paid annually, shown at the 1999 level after eight years of Bubba Clinton tax hikes. And now, under Bush.

Single making 30K - tax $8,400 in 1999, now $4,500
Single making 50K - tax $14,000 in 1999, now $12,500
Single making 75K - tax $23,250 in 1999, now $18,750

Married making 60K - tax $16,800 in 1999, now $9,000
Married making 75K - tax $21,000 in 1999, now $18,750
Married making 125K - tax $38,750 in 1999, now $31,250
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby GreatGoo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:15 pm

And that my friend is why i am a republican.
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:57 pm

What are the deficit figures?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:12 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:What are the deficit figures?

Deficits are a lot easier to accrue when taxes are lower. That's a bullshit response because we both know that the 9/11 tragedy changed everything.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:That's a bullshit response...

So is looking at taxes in a vacuum.

9/11 led directly to the conflict in Afghanistan, which was a good use of resources and a wise foreign policy move. It was wildly successful until the initiative was abandoned, and I applauded it. Everything after that had absolutely zero to do with 9/11 and to use that as an explanation is, to coin a phrase, a bullshit response.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:That's a bullshit response...

So is looking at taxes in a vacuum.

9/11 led directly to the conflict in Afghanistan, which was a good use of resources and a wise foreign policy move. It was wildly successful until the initiative was abandoned, and I applauded it. Everything after that had absolutely zero to do with 9/11 and to use that as an explanation is, to coin a phrase, a bullshit response.

Iraq is also a component of the war on fundamental Islamic terrorism. That notion became a reality on 9/11, so you cannot tell me that the Sept. 11 tragedy is completely separate from the conflict in Iraq.

You're just setting your own agenda by bringing up the deficit in a thread about income tax reductions during the Bush administration. Lower taxes are going to increase the deficit irregardless of foreign wars or not.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:18 pm

The deficit has been ignored for years. By all parties.

The proof is in the numbers.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:29 pm

Non-military spending has skyrocketed under Bush. You can't blame the wars alone for the ballooning deficit. You can blame a failure to enact Social Security reform, the ridiculous spending on Homeland Security measures that do nothing to protect us, and the Medicare Drug Benefit.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:31 pm

Skating Tripods wrote: Iraq is also a component of the war on fundamental Islamic terrorism. That notion became a reality on 9/11, so you cannot tell me that the Sept. 11 tragedy is completely separate from the conflict in Iraq.

Maybe he can't tell you, but I will. The overthrow of Saddam Hussein was the wet dream of uber hawk Paul Wolfowitz, one of the original neocons and an advocate of US pre-emption and unilateralism. It had been since Gulf War I, which he viewed as unfinished business.

Look, I voted for Bush (John Kerry, c'mon) and can defend many of his policies. However, while it is admittedly early, I think the 43rd President of the United States is the leader in clubhouse of "Most Fucked Foreign Policy Debacles of the Century" for the invasion of Iraq. Mainly because it defocused us from the real target, eliminating Al Qaeda. That, and it was based on a lie.
Last edited by mattvan1 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattvan1

Re: Tax Differences, 1999 to 2008

Unread postby Muddy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:37 pm

It looks to me like Bubba wasn't all that bad. Just doing some quick math on Head of HH figures, if you compare the '93 tax code he inherited from GHWB and compare it to what he left in '00, the rates are pretty much the same, except for the fact that by the time he left people making 30k no longer paid taxes.

The problem with not paying enough taxes to cover the amount that your government is spending is that if a new depression hits, which a link from Drudge says is likely, the government will be too broke to do anything about it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ft/20080219/bs_ ... fR1f0E1vAI]

And that's why I'm not a republican.
Muddy

Unread postby Indians88 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:38 pm

When you factor in the Inflation over the past 8 year, those numbers look even better.
Indians88

Favorite Player: Eddie Murray
Least Favorite Player: Paul O'Neal

Return to No Holds Barred