Text Size

No Holds Barred

Dallas Suggestions....

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Dallas Suggestions....

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:20 pm

In the Big D this week for a training class (our corporate offices and learning center is in Irving). Well after two days I'm pretty sold on the fact that I am in a class with 20 other people that are all bigger dorks than me (I know, shocking). No one wants to go out, do anything after class, etc.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to lay down hints to the guys that work here to get into the corporate suite for the Mavs game tomorrow night, but if not I have no clue what to do.
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: Dallas Suggestions....

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:48 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:In the Big D this week for a training class (our corporate offices and learning center is in Irving). Well after two days I'm pretty sold on the fact that I am in a class with 20 other people that are all bigger dorks than me (I know, shocking). No one wants to go out, do anything after class, etc.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to lay down hints to the guys that work here to get into the corporate suite for the Mavs game tomorrow night, but if not I have no clue what to do.

Rent a car, drive south on I-45 for a while, and end up in Houston. Where the real partyers dwell. :twisted:
mattvan1

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:53 pm

Nice, I've got a few buddies in H-Town, in addition to one in Sugarland and one in Cypress. That is indeed a fun city, I need to go back soon.
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:57 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:In the Big D this week for a training class (our corporate offices and learning center is in Irving). Well after two days I'm pretty sold on the fact that I am in a class with 20 other people that are all bigger dorks than me (I know, shocking). No one wants to go out, do anything after class, etc.

I will be in Dallas Thurs. -Sunday this week (family).

If everyone is truly a dork, then you should have no problem finding someone to go to the museum at the Book Depository. Even if you aren't a big Kennedy or conspiracy fan, it is a very interesting area to see in person.

The info you really want, as far as night life etc., I can't help you out with too much. Reason being is Dallas is about my least favorite city in the country. As many fakes and phonies as LA and Vegas combined, so basically wherever I've gone, isn't much my crowd. Bayou, if you think you're better than everyone else and are extremely concerned as to what people think about you, Dallas is your place.

Great Mexican and Barbeque joints.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:09 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:Nice, I've got a few buddies in H-Town, in addition to one in Sugarland and one in Cypress. That is indeed a fun city, I need to go back soon.

Yes, Houston. The city for which Sir Charles Barkley once declared had "the best tit bars in the country" So we have that going for us, which is nice. Kinda.

On a more serious note - I have not been to little d in prolly 15 years. At that time lower Greenville was the happening spot, as was Deep Ellum (warehouse district) and a place called Dallas Alley, much like the Cleveland Flats. For all I know, they are all now all extinct, much like the Cleveland Flats. I think your best bet is to Google "hot spots in Dallas" and see what happens.
mattvan1

Unread postby pup » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:34 am

One word for you guys...Bonedaddy's.

Just outside of Dallas (I think the city is Richardson).

Great bar-b-q. Better waitresses. Think Hooters, with 6 foot tall Texas blondes.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:37 am

Dallas Alley or the West End is supposed to be much improved since the American Airlines arena went in. There is not much around Irving. Especially around where you are (is ATT?).

I lived in Big D for several years and kind of like it. I was up in Euless the town directly north of Arlington, and buzzing down the not that heavily traveled road to head to a ballgame was pretty convenient. I had to get the kids out of there before they became Cowboys fans.

MattVan while living in Dallas I spent almost a year going back and forth to Houston on a consulting gig, and had an apartment down there. I was working near the space center and my apt. was on an inlet or bay of Clear Lake (Kemah). I never got out much. Occasionally the group would head down to Galveston for my favorite spirit down there "Jamaican me Crazy." On another gig I was working at Shell and stayed around the dome.
dmiles

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:49 am

mattvan1 wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:Nice, I've got a few buddies in H-Town, in addition to one in Sugarland and one in Cypress. That is indeed a fun city, I need to go back soon.

Yes, Houston. The city for which Sir Charles Barkley once declared had "the best tit bars in the country" So we have that going for us, which is nice. Kinda.

On a more serious note - I have not been to little d in prolly 15 years. At that time lower Greenville was the happening spot, as was Deep Ellum (warehouse district) and a place called Dallas Alley, much like the Cleveland Flats. For all I know, they are all now all extinct, much like the Cleveland Flats. I think your best bet is to Google "hot spots in Dallas" and see what happens.

Deep Ellum is still happening. Good spot day or night.

Dallas Alley is starting to turn into trouble, IMO.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby JoJo White » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:26 pm

Dallas is probably my least favorite Texas city. Incredibly pretencious; you're as likely to hear "wow, like those shoes" coming from a male as from a female. The dooshbag quotient in Dallas is off the charts and the Dallas Observer had an article a few months ago about the proliferation of the "$30,000 millionaire".

For culture and nightlife that is bearable, go to Fort Worth. There's also a good nightclub in Grapevine that is attached to the Gaylord, but I forget the name of it.

Now, restaurants are something that DFW can do right (except BBQ). In fact, I think there are more great restaurants in DFW than in New Orleans, per capita.

For the best steak you've ever had, go to Pappas Brothers, rated the #1 steakhouse in Texas by the Texas MOnthly. Other great restaurants include Nana, Abacus, Nobu (bring your checkbook), and Hectors on Henderson. The best sandwich/lunch place I've ever been to is Main Street Bakery in Grapevine. It's like La Madeline, if La Madeline was great.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Return to No Holds Barred