Text Size

No Holds Barred

Blogger take PD Sports Editor to task....

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Blogger take PD Sports Editor to task....

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:54 pm

http://mattonacarphone.blogspot.com/200 ... plain.html

We even got a mention! Is this someone who posts here?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Blogger take PD Sports Editor to task....

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:11 pm

Pup wrote:http://mattonacarphone.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-conversation-with-editor-of-plain.html

We even got a mention! Is this someone who posts here?

Matt Glassman has been a fan of the site for a while and sent me a couple notes this year. When he started his own blog, I was included in the announcement and forwarded the link to Rich because I like Matt's style.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby gdbenz » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:49 pm

The last thing I'd ever want to do is defend the Plain Dealer. But I read Matt's critique and it's overly harsh. Mistakes do happen, for whatever reason. Making mistakes isn't a sign of laziness, necessarily. But on a broader level, what I find interesting about the mistakes Matt points out is not so much that they happened, but that having happened they tend to undercut whatever criticism the mainstream media like the PD tend to have of bloggers in the first place. We've all heard the same things: bloggers don't have standards, bloggers don't have to let the facts get in the way, etc. But when paid reporters make mistakes and their even more highly paid editors don't catch them and as a result make their way to the newspaper, in my view that just means demonstrates the nature of the glass house they live in. As for the PD, it's not the mistakes that are doing them in anyway, it's one of Matt's larger points: they simply have lousy writers and an editorial culture that breeds mediocrity, not innovation and certainly not enterprise.
gdbenz

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:28 pm

GDBenz wrote:The last thing I'd ever want to do is defend the Plain Dealer. But I read Matt's critique and it's overly harsh. Mistakes do happen, for whatever reason. Making mistakes isn't a sign of laziness, necessarily. But on a broader level, what I find interesting about the mistakes Matt points out is not so much that they happened, but that having happened they tend to undercut whatever criticism the mainstream media like the PD tend to have of bloggers in the first place. We've all heard the same things: bloggers don't have standards, bloggers don't have to let the facts get in the way, etc. But when paid reporters make mistakes and their even more highly paid editors don't catch them and as a result make their way to the newspaper, in my view that just means demonstrates the nature of the glass house they live in. As for the PD, it's not the mistakes that are doing them in anyway, it's one of Matt's larger points: they simply have lousy writers and an editorial culture that breeds mediocrity, not innovation and certainly not enterprise.

Exactly.

I think a lot of the mistakes pointed out border on petty. Maybe inexcusable given their profession, but the shit ain't always easy.

It's their lack of imagination, creativity and passion that, coupled with the petty mistakes, makes for a nearly unreadable product.

Maybe the mistakes he points out were pointing to that larger point. If he's using it to illustrate that then he's dead on.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:29 pm

I noticed that in the response, the editor noted that corrections are published in the newspaper. That's great if you get the newspaper, but not so great if you read the articles online.

Also, I've noticed that the PD online has a horrible habit of having weird HTML formatting characters show up in the articles, as well as bizarre line breaks and occasionally broken links. None of that is as bad as the incorrect facts (which I've noticed myself, and maybe it would be fun to have a "Fact Check" subforum here somewhere), but it is annoying.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby XUDawg » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:26 am

I realize the PD can suck, but it's 100 times better than the Dispatch down here in Columbus. James Walker, their ONLY Browns beat guy, writes the same three paragraph puff pieces I would as a fan watching at a bar, as if he isn't in Berea and in the locker room finding stuff out. The entire Sports section is this type of unreadable drivel.

At least in the PD, you get opinions drawn from actual journalism, not obvious statements one could write frm merely watching the game from you living room like "Jamal ran really hard today" and getting a quote from players like "Man, Jamal ran really hard today."
XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Unread postby bradley4toz » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:47 pm

Hey, this is Matt who actually wrote the blog. Allow me to try to explain the point of the post in the first place.

It is not the errors which affected me, so to say. It is like some of you already mentioned that the errors are simply extensions of the lack of interest, innovation and competence.

I pointed this out to the editor that I don't care if they get things wrong, but the things they DID get wrong are things that casual fans already know. For instance, anyone reading this msg brd right now KNOWS when the last browns overtime game was before the Seahawks game this year.

We know, because not only are we fans that were watching that Chiefs game last year, but because we care - it matters. If it doesn't matter to the editorial/beat staff of the PD, then why should we bother reading their uninspired, bitter and often false "journalism"

That is my point, not the errors themselves, but the underlying inability to cover a team or provide information that is useful to someone who is taking time time, or worse - spending money - to read this shit.

As far as my critique being "too harsh", this is by far - and i mean BY FAR - the more polite, careful letter I have ever written them. I was writing expecting that the EDITOR OF THE SPORTS PAGE would not only read a well thought out and well organized e-mail, but he would take the time to either respond or even make an effort to ease my stress. He did respond, but without getting my point, and after I sent him the second one (which mentioned specifically my tone in hopes for a response) I never got another response.

There are times when errors are simply wrong facts. Writing that DA has 1 too many TD's is one thing. Writing about a game that never happened (as Paul Hoynes did) is another. All I ask about the people that I read is that they care about their craft with the same passion that we, the readers, do. And this paper has proven TIME AND TIME OVER, that they don't care.

Call it arrogance, call it laziness or call it incompetence - but I will continue to call it something.
bradley4toz

Unread postby pup » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:07 pm

Welcome. I agree with you 100%.

Stcik around and post some more!!!!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to No Holds Barred