Text Size

No Holds Barred

Old Computer Systems and Games (Nostalgia)

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Old Computer Systems and Games (Nostalgia)

Unread postby PitbullTerrier » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:48 pm

When you were growing up, which systems did you own, want to own, or just plain loved?

I recently purchased a Commodore 64 and Coleco Vision on EBay and have been absolutely thrilled.

Some of the systems I have owned and loved over the years (in no order of year):

VIC20: Loved when the Shat (William Shatner) was a shill for this computer. I had over 100 games and learned BASIC on it. My favorite games were those Scott Adams text adventures, GORF, Star Trek, Galaxian...etc

Apple II E: Got this is middle school as a present, when they were almost 3,000 buckeroos. I had the printer, and even a color monitor instead of the green screen nightmare it came with. I had games like Zork, Exodus Adventure, and a whole slew of other easy games written in BASIC and Integer that couldn't be beaten. Sometimes the simplicity was the greatest thing.

Odyssey II: I never liked Atari or Intellivision, and up until this time, you couldn't by an NES yet, so there was Odyssey, and it ruled my after school days and nights and weekends, etc. Would have friends over constantly playing this console until we wore it out.

Commodore 64: Just bought this off EBay for 75 bucks with printer and games. I love this system and I plan on taking good care of it until it dies. The original owner still had the original packaging and it was clean and functional.

ColecoVision: I was a spoiled punk kid. My parents bought me this after my Odyssey system died. I had the attachments to play Turbo (racing game) and had Tapper, Star Trek, Burgertime, QBert. That system just didn't get the shelf time or development it deserved.

NES (Nintendo): The shit of all systems, this system could blow your colon out your ass with the Chuck Norris Power of Jujitsu force by mere powering it on. I was fucking hooked on The Legend Of Zelda, Megaman, and I could sit and play Duck Hunt virtually all night. Had a shitload of games for this console and rocked them all, and they rocked me. I STILL have my NES. I had a girlfriend back in the day that gave me the ultimatum: some more quality weekend time or your Nintendo. I kicked that bitch to the curb. Sex gets boring after 10 minutes, but my Nintendo gives me entertainment throughout the day constantly.

Sega Genesis: Rocked even harder (in my opinion only) than Super NES, which I also had. Sega just had a killer platform, but it didn't have Zelda. It merely had games that could make you forget Zelda and Megaman. Echo the Dolphin, Contra, RBI Baseball, etc.

I would like to hear about what systems you enjoyed from back when.

PBT
PitbullTerrier

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:00 pm

I absolutely loved NES. I would sit there and play Tecmo Super Bowl for hours and hours. My other favorites were Wayne Gretzky Hockey, Blades of Steel, and RBI Baseball 2 and 3.

In terms of Genesis, the NHL series was awesome. I also enjoyed Greatest Heavyweights, Triple Play Gold Edition, and NBA Hangtime.

For computer, no game will ever top the original Wolfenstein 3D. Also, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

I remember the original Wolfenstein

Unread postby PitbullTerrier » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:27 pm

It was on the Apple II, and it was a stick figure guy that had to travail many levels and kill guys, steal their uni's, dismantle and place bombs, steal the plans, and escape before the castle self-destructed.

Those were great days.

I never played the 3D version but I am sure it is awesome.

PBT
PitbullTerrier

Re: I remember the original Wolfenstein

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:30 pm

PitbullTerrier wrote:It was on the Apple II, and it was a stick figure guy that had to travail many levels and kill guys, steal their uni's, dismantle and place bombs, steal the plans, and escape before the castle self-destructed.

Those were great days.

I never played the 3D version but I am sure it is awesome.

PBT

Really? I didn't know there was a pre-version to 3D. I remember playing 3D on my old Packard Bell 486. I also used to play Mortal Kombat and NHL Hockey with a Gravis pad.

You could probably find Wolf3D on the internet somewhere.

Have you ever played Return to Castle Wolfenstein? It's absolutely bad ass.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Yep

Unread postby PitbullTerrier » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:36 pm

PitbullTerrier

Unread postby BernieBrown » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:32 pm

I have wasted more of my life with super tecmo bowl than with all my other games combined. I still think it is the best football video game as far as fun is concerned.

It was the first game to have all thirty two NFL teams. It was the first to have season mode, keep your stats, and it even had a special half time show for the super bowl.

It also features the classic early nineties Cleveland Browns roster. The only person missing is Bernie as he was called QB Browns. Greatest Game ever PERIOD.
BernieBrown

Unread postby swerb » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:28 pm

I had, in this order ...

Colecovision
Commodore 64
Nintendo
Sega Genesis
XBox
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby XUDawg » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:26 pm

Wizards and Warriors 2: Ironsword was the best game ever for NES. The game play kinda sucked, as the only way to kill guys was to jump at them with your sword facing them. But everything else about it kicked ass. Especially Fabio as the cover model.

XUDawg

Favorite Player: Nick Diaz
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:30 pm

Atari is still classic.

Nintendo was great, so many great games.

I think my favorites though are Mario Cart and Dr. Mario, those games just bring about a great competitive spirit.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:33 pm

Did anyone else have an Amiga?

hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:35 pm

LOL, lots of ways I can reply to that...I'll pass.

To be honest, never heard of it in the gaming world.

FUDU

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:40 pm

FUDU wrote:

LOL, lots of ways I can reply to that...I'll pass.

To be honest, never heard of it in the gaming world.

It wasn't a game system. It was a PC produced by, I think Commodore. A piece of shit that was great for animation and utterly worthless for just about everything else. Cinemaware and EA produced some pretty good games for it, though.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Joens » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:45 pm

Sega Genesis was the shit!
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby swerb » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:55 pm

Favorite games ever ...

RBI Baseball
Baseball Stars
Tecmo Super Bowl
The Legend of Zelda (original on Nintendo)
NHL Hockey 95 on the Sega Genesis
Tiger Woods Golf on XBox

Used to love to play video games. Haven't played one since about a month before I had my kid 2.5 years ago.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Joens » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:24 pm

favorite games

super mario bros-n64
James Bond-Golden Eye-n64
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Guest » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:43 pm

Check out this site:

www.virtualnes.com

Unread postby swerb » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Joens wrote:favorite games

super mario bros-n64
James Bond-Golden Eye-n64

Those were two of my favorites as well. Goldeneye was the first real bad ass first person shooter game.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:44 pm

FightDr wrote:Check out this site:

www.virtualnes.com

I can't get it to load. IE I get a red X in the top left corner. Firefox won't load the games at all.

Im on a Windows PC right now, is it a Vista thing?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

You guys

Unread postby PitbullTerrier » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:52 pm

Didn't anyone play Megaman? :?:

That game was undeniably addictive and fun as all get out.

Super Mario 64 was great, as was The Legend Of Zelda from the NES days.

Mortal Kombat II was intense and fun. Playing as Jax was liberating, as I loved to tear the arms off people or crush their heads.

RBI Baseball was the shizznit.

Old Odyssey games were the best.

PBT
PitbullTerrier

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Anyone have the Intellivision game system?
I remember that they used the road racing game from this as KITT's navigation system in Knight Rider.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Guest » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:08 pm

I'm having a problem now also.

Unread postby Joens » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:26 pm

if there was a way to play Golden Eye over the internet id bet my life on me, thats how much i played it, it was like my religion for a year or 2. :-) :smile: :)
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Joens » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:28 pm

I can't get it to load. IE I get a red X in the top left corner. Firefox won't load the games at all.

swerb im running Firefox and its working for me?
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby diminishingskills » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:02 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:Did anyone else have an Amiga?

Earl Weaver Baseball was the shit. I was fortunate to have a good friend who had it -- as somebody said earlier, the Amiga was otherwise junk. But that game was fierce.
diminishingskills
TCF Alumni President

Favorite Player: Those who try
Least Favorite Player: Those who don't

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:28 pm

I had an Atari 2600, and some of the classics I loved were Adventure, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Real Sports Football, and Pitfall. I had a friend who had the Atari 5200 and loved playing that space game with the keypad controller, I think it was called Star Raiders or Space Raiders.

Had a Coleco Vision next, and loved Pitfall 2 on it and also my Decathalon game. River Raid, Chopperlift, Kaboom! and lots more.

Got an NES next, and that was the system I spent countless hours on during high school. Games like Mike Tyson's Punchout (007-373-1563 I believe was the code if I recall to face Tyson), Zelda, Bases Loaded, Tecmo Bowl and Tecmo Super Bowl, Blades of Steel, Ice Hockey, Contra (up-up-down-down-right-left-right-left-B-A-select-start for 30 lives), Metal Gear, Mega Man, Metroid, Blaster Master, Baseball Stars, Bionic Commando, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon, all the Mario sequels and more. My junior year in high school, Tecmo Bowl was the shit. Only four plays of offense, but what a revolutionary football game. I remember having tournament after tournament of Super Tecmo Bowl in my dorm my freshman year in college.

Got a Sega Genesis next and it carried me through most of my college years and I mostly tuned into sports games only. Blazers vs. Bulls (later became the NBA Live series), Madden '92 and '93, Tony LaRussa Baseball, Sonic, PGA Tour Golf, Road Rash, and more.

Got a Playstation next, and again just got mostly sports games like NFL Gameday when that was the hot new football title and competitor with Madden. Also started getting into the first person shooter stuff like Alien Trilogy, Medal of Honor, and First Strike.....and really started to get into the RPG stuff like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Syphon Filter, and Silent Hill.

With the next generation of systems that came out in 2001/2002, I ended up getting them all because they started introducing system exclusive titles. Got the PS2 first and loved games like Grand Theft Auto III and Vice City, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty, The Thing, Medal of Honor Fontline and others.

THen, got an Xbox to play the likes of Halo, Splinter Cell, Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic, The Chronicles of Riddick, and others. Picked up a Gamecube as well for the new Resident Evil series that was exclusive to Nintendo, as well as to play the new Zelda titles, Metroid titles, and Eternal Darkness.

I have an XBox 360 now, and have games like Gears of War, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Battlefront 2, etc.

It isa funny.....for the longest time I only generally played sports games. Now, I hardly play them at all as they are just not fun like they used to be. I spend most of my time playing RPG games because they are so real and well written, it is like playing your own movie.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:37 pm

For Atari the Sword Quest games and The Riddle of the Sphinx game were incredibly difficult.

IIRC Sword Quest (series, 4 games) had a $25-50K reward for the first person to solve it, remember this is Atari I am talking about.

FUDU

Unread postby Fixedgearrider » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:42 pm

Zork?
Fixedgearrider
Site Drunk

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:01 am

DiminishingSkills wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:Did anyone else have an Amiga?

Earl Weaver Baseball was the shit. I was fortunate to have a good friend who had it -- as somebody said earlier, the Amiga was otherwise junk. But that game was fierce.

The computer was absolute murder. Outside of Basketball for the Atari 2600, EWB had the toughest computer opponent of any sports video game I've ever played.

Speaking of the 2600, the first 2600 game we owned in our household (aside from Combat, which came with the system):

hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:12 am

I have an XBox 360 now, and have games like Gears of War, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Battlefront 2, etc.

How often do you get to play Call Of Duty 4? I love the game and play quite a bit. Gears of War was a great single player game kinda short but really fun the multi-player was boring IMO. New BattleFront comes out soon too I think. If anyone has a 360/PS3/PC thats likes Action RPGs must try Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion maybe the most fun single player game i have played.

As for the older systems i loved my NES but it was a cruel bitch too always having to blow into the Carts then turn it on then off then on and MAYBE it would fire up. One game I will always remember from childhood as a tough game to play was Friday the 13th the game for NES it was really dumb yet fun in its own way. Other tough ones i can remember Rygar, TMNT the game, and 1942. After NES it went like this Genesis, PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and now my 360.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:30 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:How often do you get to play Call Of Duty 4? I love the game and play quite a bit. Gears of War was a great single player game kinda short but really fun the multi-player was boring IMO. New BattleFront comes out soon too I think. If anyone has a 360/PS3/PC thats likes Action RPGs must try Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion maybe the most fun single player game i have played.

Haven't played Call of Duty in awhile. I mostly just play Halo 3 (on-line) and Guitar Hero II right now when I feel the need to blow some steam. Not as much time as I used to have to play these games with kids, writing for this site, and trying to work a full-time job. :-( :sad: :(

Gears of War was sweet, and I am looking forward to the movie. But yeah, I thought the multi-player version for XBox Live sucked. I still think Halo is the best multi-lplayer game on-line. Ghost Recon and Battelfront not too far behind.

As for the older systems i loved my NES but it was a cruel bitch too always having to blow into the Carts then turn it on then off then on and MAYBE it would fire up. One game I will always remember from childhood as a tough game to play was Friday the 13th the game for NES it was really dumb yet fun in its own way.

The blue screen of death. Amazing how many people got that with the old NES. Was it ever determined why that happened? I used to get freaking pissed having to fineagle with the cartridge and pushing it in and down and the power button on to get games to work at times. Would take several minutes sometimes, then all of a sudden work. And, I also used to do the old trick of blowing into the NES and cartridge.

Funny thing is, is my son's V-Tech game system is cartridge based, and he has the same issues at times where he gets the blue screen......so I use my old tricks and they work. :mrgreen:

And good call on Friday the 13th. I love horror games for the new gen systems, and when I played that on the old NES back in the day there were moments where it scared the crap out of me.
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:48 am

I used to get freaking pissed having to fineagle with the cartridge and pushing it in and down and the power button on to get games to work at times.

I remember wedging a second game cartridge in over top of the one in the console.

Man, when Nintendo came out, it was really cool. Zelda, Metroid, Mario Bros, Castlevania, Baseball Stars, RBI Baseball ... I used to spend hours after hours playing em as a young punk.

Best Christmas presents back in the day too ... Nintendo games.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:52 am

Swerb wrote:
I used to get freaking pissed having to fineagle with the cartridge and pushing it in and down and the power button on to get games to work at times.

I remember wedging a second game cartridge in over top of the one in the console.

Man, when Nintendo came out, it was really cool. Zelda, Metroid, Mario Bros, Castlevania, Baseball Stars, RBI Baseball ... I used to spend hours after hours playing em as a young punk.

Best Christmas presents back in the day too ... Nintendo games.

I echo the same comments as those above. If you were able to rig the game to work instead of staring in disbelief at the blue screen, it was pure joy. anyone else here ever play an entire season of tecmo bowl in an evening? :eek :shock:
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:04 am

fundamentals wrote:anyone else here ever play an entire season of tecmo bowl in an evening? :eek :shock:

Dude, before they built stat engines that kept stats on the game, for the original Tecmo Bowl, I used to keep my own stats. I'd make charts and graphs, and after every play I would log the yardage and attempts, throws, receptions, tackles, etc. I was sick (and a dork). I did this with my baseball games too.

Thank God they eventually started making games that kept stats for you around 1992. I remember the original Bases Loaded game....I kept ridicuylous stats for that. Hardball for the Apple as well. My buddy and I would lock ourselves down for a weekend and just sim games and seasons for stats.
consigliere

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:13 am

Use to live in a house with two other guys and we would race home from work each day to get dibs on the Nintendo. It would usually come down to a quick round robin competition. The loser of the three ended up having to watch the other two play hours upon hours, just hoping, waiting, to get a shot to play. :oops:

That one passing play with the guy curling was always the play of choice against the computer. If you didn't have it, the qb could always scramble. :lol:
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

About Techmo Bowl

Unread postby PitbullTerrier » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:37 am

I'm not about to tell you that Techmo wasn't a sick game, but didn't you get tired of beating the computer 72-0, 81-0, etc?

I used to see how many points I could score and how many sacks I could get on opposing teams before time ran out. I used to frequently break 100 points scored on that game.

The Nintendo (NES) made you the most popular person in your neighborhood if no one else had one. We were the only family with the NES for a while until people started catching on and buying it.

And Swerb, I haven't had any problems playing that Virtual NES website, and I use Firefox exclusively with Adblock turned on. Something tells me one of your extensions is causing you not to be able to enjoy, what I think, is a slice of heaven in this snowy shitstorm.

As far as old computers, I remember in high school, I took BASIC, FORTRAN, PASCAL, and COBOL. All of them were great. Seriously, this thread and reading all of your replies has made me smile more in two days than I have all year.

Who here has a Game Boy Advanced or the Nintendo DS unit? I have them both and love them. I thought about buying the Sony PSP, but it's too pricey and the games are played out.

PBT
PitbullTerrier

PS.

Unread postby PitbullTerrier » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:41 am

When I had problems with my NES cartridges, I use to take them out, blow real hard inside of them, smack it on the floor then load it, and it always worked.

I wore that system out.

This is why I am leaning toward a Wii for my next system. I love the XBox and Sony Playstation 4 (I had an old X-Box and PS2) but I have been waiting for Nintendo to recapture the magic they had with NES and SNES, and I believe Wii is that magic.

PBT
PitbullTerrier

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:52 am

And good call on Friday the 13th. I love horror games for the new gen systems, and when I played that on the old NES back in the day there were moments where it scared the crap out of me.

If you like horror games try F.E.A.R. for 360 very creepy as good as Resident Evil when it comes to good scares.

Who here has a Game Boy Advanced or the Nintendo DS unit? I have them both and love them. I thought about buying the Sony PSP, but it's too pricey and the games are played out.

PSP sucks dont buy it your better off spending the money on Crack as for DS, Metroid Hunters is excellent and I love the Brain Age games. Nintendo 64 might be the most overlooked system ever it was great with games like Mario 64, Waverace 64, Zelda Orcania of Time, Goldeneye 007, Perfect dark, Turok 1&2 and Star Fox 64.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:25 am

Dude, before they built stat engines that kept stats on the game, for the original Tecmo Bowl, I used to keep my own stats.

No shit, same here.

When Tecmo Superbowl came out with a stat engine I thought I died and went to heaven. I was Detroit for a season and ran Barry Sanders as many times as possible, unless his status changed to bad or injured, and accumulated 3,800 yards rushing in 16 games. Then I destroyed the single season sack record by implementing the dirty nose guard trick, I think Jerry Ball was Detroit's NT at the time, ended up with like 116 sacks, and the opponents would usually have - yards of offense.

FUDU

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:31 am

Having LT or Bruce Smith usually didn't hurt your chances for a good defensive season.

Bo Jackson was sickening. The old "zig zag" running trick once he broke out into the open was great.

For me, the challenge was to take a lesser team and try to win as many games as you could.
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Question

Unread postby PitbullTerrier » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:53 pm

Did anyone play Ultima or those text adventure games like Zork, Scott Adams adventures, stuff like that?

The imagination was the fun of those. I miss those. Everything now a days is graphically beautiful but endlessly boring. The old text adventures brought your imagination to the fore-front.

PBT
PitbullTerrier

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:06 pm

When you think back on it, it is amazing how stupid Tecmo was. The way you played defense was picking the other team's play. And, with the side scrolling view, you only saw 20-30 yards of the field and never knew if a guy was truly open downfield. That said, it was simple, which is why to me the old sports games are so much better than today. Today, they are so sophisticated and while it is more realistic, some of the fun is gone from the simplicity of what they used to be. Tecmo is and always will be the best football game ever, even better than Madden and Gameday.

I played the original Tecmo Bowl far more than its sequel Super Tecmo Bowl........man, if you had the Giants almost noone could score on you because of LT and Banks. Field Goals and extra points were almost impossible because LT got right in there every time to stuff em. And Bo Jackson? Good God. I hated playing against him. I always picked his play so he wouldn't beat me, yet sometimes he still would get around the defense and be off to the races. only guy in the game with the breakway speed and ability to break tackles.
consigliere

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:45 pm

It was always more than a little frustrating when you took a team that didn't have many stars, get to the playoffs, even the Super Bowl, and then have your title hopes dashed by a super human Bo Jackson, Bruce Smith, or whoever. :lol:
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby General » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:50 pm

I don't know if this qualifies...the old Tank battle game. It had these bizarre geometric tank figures...we used to play that at the old Loew's East until our heads spun off.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:52 pm

If any college students have read this and have a Facebook, there is an NES Games application that has pretty much every NES game ever made. Instead of studying, I play RBI Baseball.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:31 pm

I played the original Tecmo Bowl far more than its sequel Super Tecmo Bowl........man, if you had the Giants almost noone could score on you because of LT and Banks. Field Goals and extra points were almost impossible because LT got right in there every time to stuff em. And Bo Jackson? Good God. I hated playing against him. I always picked his play so he wouldn't beat me, yet sometimes he still would get around the defense and be off to the races. only guy in the game with the breakway speed and ability to break tackles.

To this day I never lost a game while being Chicago, they were simply the best.

Payton was unstoppable to the point that if the defense guessed the play he could get out of it and gain a yard or so. Singletary on D was very good, so was the safety (forget his name). Then add Gentry returning kicks, IIRC he could get you to midfield every time, but the thing that put them over the top was the TE pass play to Cap Boso. Even if the play was guessed the pass was completed every time, every single time. IMO it was a defect in the game. It was so bad that I did an experiment with it and only ran that play and my buddy put it on that play while on D every time, I never got stopped and marched down the field 4 yards at a time for two straight games.

But Tony is spot on the simplicity of some of the older games is what makes them so great.

FUDU

Unread postby Joens » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:55 pm

the old Tank battle game.

top5 totally forgot about that one. what a classic
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

This is the truth

Unread postby PitbullTerrier » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:54 pm

On Battlezone (the tank game), I could flip that damn game.

The trick was to keep moving in reverse and hiding behind those polgons until you could get a clean shot. You could invariably play for weeks doing that and not get killed.

The AI on that game wasn't too bright. Then came Super Battlezone and it kicked ass.

I used to be a video arcade junky. Every Saturday I was at Red Baron or the Tilt throwing quarters down the following games:

Tron
Star Trek
Dragon's Lair
Ring Kings
Punch Out
The Legend of Kage
Table Hockey
Super Pac Man
Hyper Olympics
Star Wars
Discs of Tron (I was a Tron junkie)
Gunsmoke

PBT
PitbullTerrier

Unread postby swerb » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:56 pm

Ring Kings was great. Tyson Punch Out ruled my life for a good year as well.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

BTW, Swerb

Unread postby PitbullTerrier » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:06 pm

Richie,

Did you get your Virtual NES?

I find it is very quirky on Firefox, but on I.E.7.0 it works like a charm.

I would like to thank the person who linked that website. You've just ruined my next few weeks while I play the games I used to love.

Anyone know of any Sega Genesis or SNES Virtual places to go to?

Swerb, did you beat Mike Tyson? I remember once I finally beat him, it was over for that game. I just kept beating it over and over; it never got old.

I never realized how rudimentary the Legend of Zelda is! With all the years and years of enhancements, the simplicity of the game is its charm.

Screw having a draft party. We need to have a Nintendo party. :lol:
PitbullTerrier

Re: BTW, Swerb

Unread postby swerb » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:16 pm

PitbullTerrier wrote:Richie,

Did you get your Virtual NES?

I find it is very quirky on Firefox, but on I.E.7.0 it works like a charm.

I would like to thank the person who linked that website. You've just ruined my next few weeks while I play the games I used to love.

Anyone know of any Sega Genesis or SNES Virtual places to go to?

Swerb, did you beat Mike Tyson? I remember once I finally beat him, it was over for that game. I just kept beating it over and over; it never got old.

I never realized how rudimentary the Legend of Zelda is! With all the years and years of enhancements, the simplicity of the game is its charm.

Screw having a draft party. We need to have a Nintendo party. :lol:

Yes, got it working. Needed to download a more recent version of Java. That website is awesome. Cued up a little Tecmo Super Bowl, Metroid, and Pro Wrestling today.

I beat Tyson, but I remember, it took me a LONG time to do.

Zelda was awesome.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Next

Return to No Holds Barred