Text Size

No Holds Barred

Video games: need help in selecting a system.

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Video games: need help in selecting a system.

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:43 pm

I have been out of the loop of video game system for quite some time, I plan on rewarding myself for Xmas and getting one.

Not a clue which one to buy.

Probably staying away from the Wii only b/c I am single and Wii seems to revolve around multiple player stuff right now?

I am willing to spend between $300-$500 on a system.

The type of games I gravitate toward are long drawn out adventure types that are challenging. Auto racing games. Fighter pilot games and some war type games as well. Not real big on the war games though, especially if they are best played with a group.

Is one system better for certain types of game?

Is one system hands down better for graphics?

Is one system hands down better for selection of games?

Etc..
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Joens » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:56 pm

i personally would go with the xbox 360 it seems to have an overall greater game selection the graphics are great especcially with an HD tv. i dont know if the Graphics are as good as the ps3 but still there great! now the thing with the ps3 is if ur big into dvds u can rent the blue ray discs and the ps3 plays them and those are magnifcent. and i think the xbox is better for online action (if ur into that).

hope this helped
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:15 pm

Does PS3 play previous PS version games?

FUDU

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:31 pm

Both the PS3 and XBox 360 have backwards compatibility, but I believe it is limited from what i recall.

I had a PS2, X Box, and Gamecube last time around, with this time around with the new systems I just went and got the 360. We may be getting the Wii this Xmas for family use, but I shyed away from the Wii and PS3 mostly because it is too damn expensive to buy all three again, exclusive software titles for certain systems barely exists anymore, and more importantly I don't have time to play video games like I used to 3-4 years ago.

The main reason I bought a Gamecube 5 years ago was because the Resident Evil franchise was moved there and it was the only place to play it, and also the Zelda franchise in on there. Eventually, the title hit the other systems if I recall, but not until several months later. Also, I bought the PS2 because of the Metal Gear and Grand Theft Auto series' because at the time they were exclusive to the PS2 only....but again that has changed. I bought the XBox because it was clearly the best of the three systems at the time, it was more adult oriented, and because of exclusive titles like Halo, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and other titles.

But now, really any title can be found on all three systems, and really it is to the point of where graphic difference is barely noticeable. One key difference between the PS3 and X Box is the DVD on the PS3 is Blue Ray where the 360 is not.

I've played all the systems, and while I once was an avid video game player and now more casual, my experience still sides me with the 360. They have more software titles lined up and a bigger selection of games, and still have a lot of exclusive titles like Halo, Gears of War, etc. Plus, the best thing about it to me is it serves as a media center hooked up to my desktop computer where I can download movies and TV shows off the internet and relay them from my computer to the XBox and play them directly on my TV from my computer by using my Xbox controls. Sweet.

I play a few times a week, and mainly just a few titles now. I used to be big in only the sports games, but hardly do those anymore and instead am addicted to XBox Live as I play Halo 2 and 3 as well as Gears of War online quite often. I never really play the games themselves anymore, just XBox Live. It is amazing.

hope that helps.

By the way, if anyone here plays XBox Live, my screenname is Consig24.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:36 pm

Tony there is no way in hell you were/are married with children if you had/have all those system no way.

If so you should be writing "How to" books and on your way to millions.

FUDU

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:40 pm

FUDU wrote:Tony there is no way in hell you were/are married with children if you had/have all those system no way.

If so you should be writing "How to" books and on your way to millions.

Heh.

It is called being a night owl. With the kids and wife in bed by 9-10pm every night, I am "free" every night until I go to bed at 1am. Nowdays though, that time is soaked up mostly by this site.....but back in the day I would play video games any chance I got. Now maybe a few hours a week where at one time it was like a full time job. :mrgreen:
consigliere

Unread postby Joens » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:28 pm

well i must say this sight is a better use for your time then playing video games.
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:40 pm

I own a Xbox 360 and I love it. If your picking a system based on quality games go with a 360 but its been out a year longer and its $100 less. Sony will have some great games coming down the pipe but right now is kind of a stale system. One huge thing PS3 has over the Xbox is the Blu-Ray DVD drive built in, the Xbox 360 you have to buy it.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:56 pm

I have a 360 and Wii and I'm happy with both systems. The 360 has a lot of what you're looking for, Donny, so I'd vote in that direction. Its cheaper than the PS3 and, at this point, has a wider game selection. You'll want to pick up a hard drive too for game add-ons and XBox Live Arcade.

(Oh, and on XBox Live I'm SpyralPegacyon, even if I'm rarely online there myself.)
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby boxxer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:41 pm

The Wii is a fun system and very easy to control. I am not much of "hard core gamer" so I just play it a couple hours a week. If you don't like the mario or zelda type of games, I would avoid the wii. Also it doesn't have much in the way of racing or piloting games. Although Mario Cart will be out in the spring.

If I were you I would lean towards the ps3, you can't go wrong with the hi-def blu ray player that it comes equiped with and the games are starting to get better the longer the system has been around.
boxxer

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:06 pm

I had an XBox 360, but they break constantly. I barely played the thing and had it less than a year before I had to get a replacement. I had the replacement for less than a month before it was broken (internal issues, nothing i did on either). At that point I lost confidence in the product and opted to take a Best Buy gift card for the value of the purchase and applied it to a PS3. The PS3 is sweet, it is a blue ray disc player and pretty much rocks. I don't have a lot of time to play, so any limitations that some may have with games or whatever does not affect me because I only play a couple of hours a week.

It is completely backwards compatible, actually the game I play the most is a PS2 game, God of War/ GOWII. The six axis controller rocks for flying style games like Lair. You actually move the controller to steer, it is pretty sweet. Also, the controllers recharge via a USB style plug which is a big upgrade over XBox 360 AA driven controllers (I have kids, so I never have batteries). I prefer XBox 360 controllers though because they are made for bigger hands.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby municipalmutt » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:18 pm

I have a 360 and as was stated earlier, there are some bugs in it. I got the dreaded red circle of death and brought it back for a replacement. I think the original warranty was for 90 days but Microsoft has extended it to 3 years now. The thing runs very hot and you can forget putting inside any kind of bookcase or entertainment center. It has to have air on all four sides or it overheats.

I would have gotten the PS3 but I'm not convinced that Sony will win the high def DVD format war. They have a perfect track record so far in losing every proprietary format war they ever fought.

I bought an upconverting DVD player that upscales to 1080P and my regular DVDs look pretty good. I will wait until either there is a winner in the Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD war or they combine the two formats into some hybrid.
municipalmutt

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:21 pm

Yep, I got the red circle of death as well a few months back and they replaced my system and gave me a free year of Xbox Live.
consigliere

Help

Unread postby PitbullTerrier » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:04 pm

What is the "red circle of death".

Everyone I speak with who has a Wii absolutely raves on it, but you can't find the fucker anywhere.

XBox seems to have the games but a lot of glitches, and PS3 just seems to be dying.

PBT
PitbullTerrier

Re: Help

Unread postby htown_dawg » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:08 pm

PitbullTerrier wrote:What is the "red circle of death".

Everyone I speak with who has a Wii absolutely raves on it, but you can't find the fucker anywhere.

XBox seems to have the games but a lot of glitches, and PS3 just seems to be dying.

PBT

It's like the Blue Screen of Death on a PC. It's a standard Mirosoft feature. They just made it red this time for a little variety.
htown_dawg

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:23 pm

Donny

Will you game through an HDTV? If so, PS3 and XBox 360 have great graphics, the Wii is horrible at 1080 resolution. Other than that, I could see either the XBox 360 or PS3. My son has had a 360 for 2 years with no problems (knock wood)
mattvan1

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:14 pm

[/quote]What is the "red circle of death".

XBox seems to have the games but a lot of glitches, and PS3 just seems to be dying.[/quote]

The red rings of death is a general hardware failure in the Xbox 360 that makes the 360 flash 3 red rings around the console on/off button. I have had it happen twice and those cheap-asses at Microsoft gave me 1month free of Xbox Live and they sent me a free copy of Project Gotham 3 which only game out in 2005 wow what a treat since I already bought Project Gotham 4. There is a real strong push to make Xbox Live a free service which it should be already christ they will nickel and dime you to death on Live especialy since I love the classic arcade games they put on there.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to No Holds Barred