Text Size

No Holds Barred

Is This The Wrong Way To Parent?

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Is This The Wrong Way To Parent?

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:35 am

I have no shame. Get this, I am now using Santa Claus as a daily negotiating tool with my two and a half year old son.

He’s all fired up for Christmas. Loves the lights, the tree, just starting to really get the whole Santa thing, and watches “A Charlie Brown Christmas” five to six times a day (honestly … I’m ready to kill someone). So my wife and I are trying to explain Christmas to him, waking up, presents, the North Pole, the elfs … all that stuff. He’s intrigued.

“Daddy, Santa bring presents here? For Nicholas? Whatever I want? Can he come tomorrow?”

Seeing an opportunity, I can now get my son to do WHATEVER I want by simply holding Santa and toys over his head. My kid is two and a half. It’s a challenging age. He’s coloring on the furniture and randomly whipping his eating utensils across the dining room at dinner. Trying to get him dressed in the morning is an agonizing 15 minute experience. Not anymore though.

“Nicholas, Santa doesn’t bring any toys to boys who don’t get dressed nice.”

“He doesn’t? No toys?”

I had him dressed in 30 seconds this morning. Here are some of my other favorites …

“Nicholas, Santa only brings toys to little boys who go get their daddy a beer out of the fridge. Hurry up son … Santa’s watching.”

“Nicholas, Santa just called me on the phone. He said if you don’t go take a bath right away, there will be no presents this year.”

“Nicholas, go tell mommy you want her to change your poop diaper. Santa will be proud of you.”

I need help.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:38 am

this remains me i need to prepare for my 'there's no such think as Santa' campaign

I got my list of childrens schools

got my megaphone

got my lumps of coal
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby General » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:27 am

I don't have children but negotiation and future promises are with us all of our lives. Who hasn't been promised future joy (read...kitty) for a prescribed behavior now. (read jewelry, dinner and a movie, visit in-laws...the list goes on forever.) :twisted:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby sandlot33 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:41 am

There is absolutely nothing wrong with negotiating Santa with the kid

You don't want to pick up your toys??

Well Santa won't bring you presents then...immediately she picks up toys

You don't want to go to bed now???

Well Santa won't bring you gifts then...immediately goes to bed

You want to eat cookies for dinner???

Well Santa won't bring you presents then...

pick up the phone and pretend that your talking to Santa and watch their faces...it's great!!!! I use this line for everything around this time of year. I also made sure that I told my kid that Santa loves chocolate chip cookies, Chipotle burritos, Hot Fries, and cheesecake
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:36 pm

I don't see a problem with it. Until you discipline him saying Santa told you to do it. Let him be an American child and grow resentment towards his father, not the fat jolly man.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby General » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:38 pm

How about this one...way back in the 60's I was like 9 or 10, just getting to that age where your friends finally beat it into your head that there is no Santa. Well my Uncle knew this guy, who was a bit player on "Big Chuck and Houlihan". The guy always played the old white bearded guy on different skits. My uncle had him come over in full Santa garb...man was I f-ed up on that one. Like I said I had just reasoned the whole Santa thing out of my head and there he was, the pictures my parents took, the look on my face, hilarious.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:10 pm

General wrote:How about this one...way back in the 60's I was like 9 or 10, just getting to that age where your friends finally beat it into your head that there is no Santa. Well my Uncle knew this guy, who was a bit player on "Big Chuck and Houlihan". The guy always played the old white bearded guy on different skits. My uncle had him come over in full Santa garb...man was I f-ed up on that one. Like I said I had just reasoned the whole Santa thing out of my head and there he was, the pictures my parents took, the look on my face, hilarious.

That is excellent ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Joens » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:33 pm

perfectly fine
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:12 pm

This would be great if it worked on chicks when I was in college.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby mswerb » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:56 pm

I call Santa on the phone all the time, this works. I also call the looney bin, and the cops. All of these work as well.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:07 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:This would be great if it worked on chicks when I was in college.

Showing them your "Oh" face didn't work?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Is This The Wrong Way To Parent?

Unread postby htown_dawg » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:49 pm

Swerb wrote:I have no shame. Get this, I am now using Santa Claus as a daily negotiating tool with my two and a half year old son.

This is perfectly acceptable and can used with the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Great Pumpkin, July 4th Fireworks, Arbor Day Wood Elf, and.........well, you get the point.

And what's the best way to get the kiddoes to bed on Christmas Eve (well, other than a double shot of Benadryl)?

http://www.noradsanta.org/
htown_dawg

Here is some valuable information

Unread postby PitbullTerrier » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:28 pm

Swerb:

I found this article very useful and fulfilling in raising my daughter. I think everyone should take some time to read this information and let it fully sink in.

Remember, there is no guilt, there is only bad children:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat

Please, enjoy and learn.

PBT
PitbullTerrier

No Santa

Unread postby I'mwiththeband » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:18 pm

Much against my extended families wishes, my wife and I do not put any significance with Santa. We do not give any gifts from Santa, we do not threaten with Santa or tell stories about Santa. This may have something to do with the fact that they are foster children (and have been lied to by people who supposedly loved them from birth). So, even though they won't have Santa to believe in, atleast they'll have someone in their life who never lied to them.
I'mwiththeband

Re: Is This The Wrong Way To Parent?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:49 pm

[quote="htown_dawg]
This is perfectly acceptable and can used with the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Great Pumpkin, July 4th Fireworks, Arbor Day Wood Elf, and.........well, you get the point. [/quote]

WTF is the Arbor Day Wood Elf?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:42 pm

Much against my extended families wishes, my wife and I do not put any significance with Santa. We do not give any gifts from Santa, we do not threaten with Santa or tell stories about Santa. This may have something to do with the fact that they are foster children (and have been lied to by people who supposedly loved them from birth). So, even though they won't have Santa to believe in, atleast they'll have someone in their life who never lied to them.

As a long time Internet chatter, so to speak, I have heard it all while online, but I must admit I have never heard that and never heard it for that reason. I must say I can understand your thinking and good for you.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:35 pm

I've always been 100% straight up with my kid, which meant I never did the Santa thing with him. I hated how my parents wove these elaborate lies when I knew from the time I was 6 that it was their handwriting on those gifts "from Santa" and swore I would never do that.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Return to No Holds Barred