Text Size

No Holds Barred

Phat Televisions

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Phat Televisions

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:48 pm

Plan on joining the HD revolution soon (why didn't anyone tell me to take care of getting ALL of my toys before getting marries?).

Looking for some opinions from the peeps that already have something and what they think of what they got.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:50 pm

Pup, what size?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:54 pm

Depends really. I think upper 40's to mid 50's is best for the room it is going in.

If I was going to get it today, I would be going with the 56" Samsung DLP Slim Fit 1080P.

Could easily be swayed to go smaller for better quality picture, but I think Samsung's picture is pretty solid from the research done so far.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:11 pm

Samsungs are very good. Sony's are the best but the most expensive. Me personally ... I've got a 54" Sony rear projection big screen. It has been money in the GD bank for about 6 years now.

Got a 38" and 32" flatscreen Toshiba Regza (GREAT TVs) for the sun room and bedroom respectively. Love those TVs. Toshibas in general are excellent. Super, super picture. I wanna say they were priced at like $950 and $750, and I got $100 off each through Parina.

Im a Consumer Reports geek ... second most recent issue (Nov '07) was on HDTVs. Its worth picking up or ordering online. Or if we run into each other (lunch) in the next couple weeks, I can bring it to you. They love Samsung, Sony, Toshiba.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby sandlot33 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:26 pm

I have a 55" Mitsubishi HD Rear Projection and it is a great tv, but way to big and took up half my living room with the compnent stand and speakers, so I shipped it downstairs where it now collects dust

just upgraded to an LG 42" LCD and even though it's smaller than the other tv it is way better, and I also broke the bank and got the Harmen Kardon receiver with the Klipsch speakers and a fantastic powered sub which rattles the whole house

If your going with rear projection I would go with a Misubishi but they are just way to big, if you get glares from windows do NOT get a plasma get and LCD...that's my 2 cents
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:16 am

One of my friends bought a DLP a while ago and hes had 2 of them go out on him he went to turn it on and he got sound and no picture when he took it back to Circuit City the guy told him they have had several of them returned with the same problem. It might have been just an error in the first few batches but he went with a Bravia instead and its been money.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:18 am

Pup, for the record, Bravia is a Sony line. They rate very, very well. But you're gonna pay for em.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:21 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:One of my friends bought a DLP a while ago and hes had 2 of them go out on him he went to turn it on and he got sound and no picture when he took it back to Circuit City the guy told him they have had several of them returned with the same problem. It might have been just an error in the first few batches but he went with a Bravia instead and its been money.

Do you know which one?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:31 pm

Pup: I'd go with the Sharp Aquos 1080p. I bought a 32" (1080i version) for my home office a year ago and absolutely love it. In terms of best value, I just bought this one for $996! at Best Buy this past weekend. (In fact, I bought two of them.)

Generally, I prefer the LCD display over projection (viewing angle issues) and plasma. Don't know much about DLP other than "it's the mirrors"; they lost me on that ad campaign.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:05 pm

Rear projections TVs are pretty much a dinosaur anymore. And they are huge and heavy. The pic is not as good if you watch from a bunch of different viewing angles.

For me ... in my family room, my spot is right in front of the god damn thing, eye level, about 8 feet away. And I have one of those cut out entertainment centers around it, which makes it ideal.

You don't even see many of em around anymore though. However, you can get great deals on em now. Like the hookers at the Riviera in Vegas, you get a lot of size for your dollar.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:27 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:Pup: I'd go with the Sharp Aquos 1080p. I bought a 32" (1080i version) for my home office a year ago and absolutely love it. In terms of best value, I just bought this one for $996! at Best Buy this past weekend. (In fact, I bought two of them.)

Generally, I prefer the LCD display over projection (viewing angle issues) and plasma. Don't know much about DLP other than "it's the mirrors"; they lost me on that ad campaign.

Damn. That is a good deal. Hitachis have gotten a lot of love in some reviews. The 1080i scares me a little though. You will have to let me know if you notice the difference.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby RC » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:15 am

For any type of TV deals Black Friday is a great time to buy a new tv.

Check out bfads.net for your favorite store. You could probably save some big time cash.
RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

Unread postby furls » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:00 am

Classic Swerb,

I have a 57" Mitsubishi rear projection, HDTV. Bought it like 4 years ago, also have the huge cut out entertainment stand around it. The sides are like lighted curio cabinets, my wife has all this Waterford crystal in it. On the first day we had it, I put my autographed Buckeye helmet in there, and she hit the ceiling. I told her, "It stays, and that is NOT negotiable." It is the only time in our marriage I have put my foot down and won!

I got a 42" LCD in the bedroom. I like them both about the same. The projection was one of the last generations (if not the last) and the only drawback is that if you are say 45 degrees off from center the picture is dark. Fortunately, I sit about 10 feet away and right in front of it.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Joens » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:20 am

i have a 56' lcd samsung great tv but after about 2 years it got this little red line in the middle of its screen. i don't know if its from everything i throw at during the browns games or just a flaw. whatever it is its probably an easy fix but besides that great tv.
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby Indyan » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Not sure if you're still in the market, but I'll add a couple thoughts.

Unless you plan on hooking it to a high-end receiver which has a lot of inputs and handles the switching, get a TV with a lot of inputs. (HDMI, component, svideo). You're going to want all that when you start plugging in your HD cable/sat, PS3/XBox, DVD player, HTPC, etc.

Play around with the showroom samples. Tweak the color/tint/contrast/sharpness settings. Ask them to tune over the air signals (OTA is a great source of HD). Ask them to play a regular dvd and other non-HD signals (standard cable/sat channel, etc). Some TVs process SD signals well, others look horrendous. Sixty years worth of TV and movies aren't going to disappear in 2009, so you'll want a TV which can make that look good - especially on a large screen. Check for audio synchronization issues, especially after switching sources or changing channels a few times. Does it look like you're watching an old karate flick?

Finally, make sure it looks good to you. You can read all the reviews saying it's the best thing ever, but we're all different people with different eyes. There's no single perfect tv out there, just get the one which meets your criteria and enjoy!
Indyan

Unread postby municipalmutt » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:57 pm

I broke down two years ago and got a 61" Samsung 1080P DLP. The Sony I looked at had these elephant ear speakers attached to the sides that weren't removable so I got the Sammy. I got it from Crutchfield since they have a reputation for excellent customer service and I wasn't disappointed. Playing xbox 360 games on it is almost a religious experience.
municipalmutt

Unread postby boxxer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:37 pm

Not sure if your a member of BJ,s wholesale Club, but they had a ton of Sony Bravia's there about a month ago.
They were at a great price too, not much more then the Vizio's.
42 and 50 inch I believe.
boxxer

Unread postby schlobbin31 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:52 pm

Pup,

To echo municipalmutt I bought a 61 inch samsung slim fit 1080p DLP - the same version as you guys. The only downside I could find to it was that the bulbs go out apprx every 4 years and you have to have them replaced for around $250. No big deal to me and I love the TV. You'd be surprised at how good of a mood you can be coming home to watch a movie on that thing after a long day at work.

Now the guy at best buy tried to convince me to spend an extra $400 on the extended warranty because of the bulb going out but it only covers that once and it only lasts 4 years. I could afford it but I didn't think it was worth it financially.

I heard that sony tv's were the best but overpriced. I spent about $2500 on my tv along with the stand and taxes and wouldn't change a thing about it.

MM, have you had any problems with your bulb in the two years you have owned yours?
schlobbin31

Unread postby municipalmutt » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:06 pm

schlobbin31,

No I haven't had a problem with the bulb but there were other problems when I first got it. The audio kept cutting out, there were some beeping noises, and there was some stuck pixels that looked like tiny white dots on the screen. I called Crutchfield and they sent another TV no questions asked. It was outside of their 30 day return policy too. (about 45 days). No problems with this set.
municipalmutt

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:19 pm

Since I'm not rolling in money like some of y'all, I'll put my 2 cents in for my new HD, which is just awesome. It's the 37" Sanyo LCD 720p, and the picture on HD shows is perfect. I got it as an online-only WalMart sale for $767, and it's been worth every penny. Me and the little lady sit about 8-9 feet away and could see every blade of fake grass during the Browns game Sunday.

I only wish Time Warner would get on the stick and add more HD channels (SciFi HD would be AWESOME).
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:10 pm

Pup,

The best source of info I have found. It takes a while to do the homework, but worth the results http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9/ Like cars, everyone has their bias, and most just released sets ALL have some type of problems. Don't let that deter you.

I looked for about 2 months until I decided what I wanted. Some hints. First, decide what's the most important viewing aspect for you - digital HD sat/cable sports, over the air local channels (OTA), DVD movies, video games. How far do you sit from the TV? Will you need (having a Browns Super Bowl party, for example) for people to see from all angles, or will everyone be seated in front of the set? Is the room bright, with a lot of glare? Or are you going blackout curtains home theater? What technology is right for you - LCD, DLP, Plasma? Your answers to the above questions will steer you in the right direction.

One caution - do not go into a big box store, look at a few sets, and decide. As indyan wrote, you need to mess around with your favorites in the store, changing modes, bringing in your own movies, etc. All floor models are set to "showroom" mode which is gained up and overly bright in order to catch your eye. Watching that picture in your house on a Saturday night would be impossible.

All these things matter, some more than others. CNET has a basic tutorial, with pros and cons and reviews. http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/?tag=promo.tv

Brands I considered - Samsung and Sony for LCD, Mitsubishi for DLP, Pioneer for Plasma. I dropped the plasma idea pretty quick and I was concerned about glare and the cost. The bottom line - 40 inches or so LCD is a good choice. Over 50 inches, I would suggest the newer slimline DLP sets. I have the new Mitsubishi and have no glare, no pixelation, no motion blur, superior picture quality, all for about 1/2 the price of a similar sized plasma.

PM me if you want the gory details. Happy to help.
mattvan1

Return to No Holds Barred