Text Size

No Holds Barred

My cat and his seizures

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

My cat and his seizures

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:36 am

I don't know what to do except get this off of my chest.

This morning, my cat had the third of his obvious seizures that I've witnessed. I say obvious only because some of his previous behavior (attacking shit that ain't there) may have been seizures as well.

A few months ago, he had his first. He was in the other room, and I went in there and he was meowing funny. I picked him up from the arm of the couch, but he didn't seem comfortable in my arms, so I put him down next to the coffee table. He immediately leaned against the table leg, which was weird, so I picked him back up and starting walking with him to the kitchen. As I was walking, he went stiff in my arms and was purring in a really weird way. In the kitchen, I put him down, and he immediately fell over on his side like he was dead. After about a minute, he woke up and was fine.

A few weeks ago, he was in the computer room with me and my girlfriend when I noticed him in the corner acting funny. He froze up while standing like a statue, and started peeing. I told my girlfriend "he's having another seizure", and like before, he woke up and was just fine (leaving me to clean up his puddle from the carpet).

Now, this morning, he woke me up from the couch around 4 by loudly puking in the living room, and then repeatedly trying to bury it like he was in his litter box. I cleaned it up and went to bed, leaving the door open for him, because he likes to sleep with us. He came in the room, started bouncing all around the bed, and then pissed on the blanket at my feet.

I dig this cat, but I really don't have the money to spend on all sorts of veterinary tests. He's 6 years old and only recently started doing this shit. I guess I'm just following the "get stuff of my chest" credo of this forum. Thanks.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby General » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:57 pm

I don't own any pets, except maybe a few Hooter girls that live off of my tips, but I think a few pertinent questions should be...
1. Is there anything new and unusual in your home that maybe the cat is eating? Plants? Carpet? etc.....
2. If he is an outdoor cat, are there any neighbors with less than honorable intentions? Also, any bad water sources outdoors or lawn chemicals?

Just some thoughts. Hope it turns out ok.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Apex777 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:36 pm

The general made some good points, if, after checking out the things he pointed out, they turn out to be dead ends, I would suggest taking him to the vets. He could very possibly be epileptic. I had a dog who was, he lived to be 14. He took Dilantin, just the same as humans do. He still had seizures from time to time, but the medication definitely controlled them.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. . .Einstein
Apex777

Unread postby GreatGoo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:34 am

Take your cat to the vet. My dog has the very same problem. She is on medicine now and only has one once a year now. My dog has Epilepsy. The medicine she uses is phenobarbital (Luminal). Its really helps.

I know how scary it is when the seizures happen. The first time she did this i thought she was choking and dying in my arms. Very scary stuff.

All the best and i hope this helped.
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:14 pm

Call your vet and explain this to him. They will likely prescribe Phenobarbital without even seeing your cat (unless he has a seizure during the appointment there wouldn't be anything to examine anyhow).

Here is link about pheno http://www.marvistavet.com/html/phenobarbital.html

I had about a 15 year history with seizures with my Golden Retriever (RIP) and it horrific while he was seizing...foaming from mouth, urinating and defecating everywhere...pure misery. Before pheno he averaged a seizure every month or so, after going on pheno it went down to one or two a year...and they weren't as powerful either. Pheno is inexpensive too, I used to pay about 8 bucks for two months worth of the 1/2 grain tablets and that was for a 100+ pound dog. You'll likely need the 1/4 grain which should be cheaper.

The main problem I had with pheno was getting my dog to eat it. I always had to wrap it in cheese or something, but a lot of the time it ended up being spit out. I have no idea how you'll get a cat to swallow it, but good luck to you and your cat
bustedknuckles

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:55 pm

Thanks for the responses, but one thing really stuck out for me.

bustedknuckles wrote:The main problem I had with pheno was getting my dog to eat it. I always had to wrap it in cheese or something, but a lot of the time it ended up being spit out. I have no idea how you'll get a cat to swallow it, but good luck to you and your cat

Yeah, I can't even change brands of cat food without him starving himself out of spite. Actually my dad has seizures, and takes phenobarbital. I know that's the most likely drug for my cat, and at work I have a vet client, so I should be able to get it without paying out the hiney for a checkup. Honestly I'd rather find an injectable form of anti-seizure meds, because sticking him with a needle once a day would be easier than trying to get him to take a pill.

Man, loving your pet sucks :)
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Return to No Holds Barred