Text Size

No Holds Barred

Malibu is burning

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Malibu is burning

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:53 pm

Really wild stuff going on. Last report I saw, over 1,000 acres have been burned, and Pepperdine University is threatened, as are the homes of a bunch of celebrities.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:25 pm

Yeah it's bad out there, but it is not new.

I've read some good articles in the past couple of years that state the norm for that region of this continent is more like the dry drought conditions we see as irregular. Some of the experts believe the extreme dry conditions are part of the Earth's regular climate cycle and what this country has seen in the W/SW in the for the past 50-100 years is an anomaly.

I almost feel guilty for being able to sit in the comfort of my home tonight and watch a truly meaningless sporting event when people like that are in jeopardy of losing their homes and having to possible start life over.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:30 pm

FUDU wrote:Yeah it's bad out there, but it is not new.

I've read some good articles in the past couple of years that state the norm for that region of this continent is more like the dry drought conditions we see as irregular. Some of the experts believe the extreme dry conditions are part of the Earth's regular climate cycle and what this country has seen in the W/SW in the for the past 50-100 years is an anomaly.

Ya know, that actually makes sense. Human life most likely is due to an anomaly (exact conditions plus all sorts of freaky stuff happening in just the right way to enable the rise of intelligent mammals), as is civilization (the perfect conditions of the people living around the Mediterranean Sea having the proper climate and access to foods to allow proper brain growth and ability to kick ass on the Neanderthals). It's not shocking at all that humanity's tremendous rise over the last 100 years is due to anomalous planetary conditions as opposed to anything we've done ourselves. Let's face it, living in any one of the major ice ages that our planet has seen over the last few ten thousand years would even bring our advanced society to its knees.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:11 pm

CBS evening news is covering it right now.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:52 am

I can tell you folks we are in the thick of things.

I moved to San Diego from around the Warren area just a little over 2 years ago and some friends of ours moved out a couple of months later.

They live in a part of town called Rancho Bernardo (HS Baseball home of Hank Blalock, Cole Hamels and our own John Drennan), and called us early in the AM after they got the forced evacuation call. By the time they got out to our place (Cardiff) the local stations were in their neighborhood. We watched as homes were burning up as close as one street away, and it was pretty stressful.

From everything I can tell their home was spared. Over 60 homes just in their subdivision (Westwood) were burned up, and around 25 or so within 2-3 streets either way, so walking around/driving around their hood will seem strange for quite some time.

It's just crazy here nobody ever expects the fires to carry all the way to the ocean but as the evening goes it seems inevitable. Nearby Rancho Santa Fe (Uber-wealthy) and Del mar areas are all being evacuated. I am about 2 miles north of Solana Beach and parts of that town are being asked to leave so it seems like sometime tonight we could be hit up also.

Neither of us has any relatives out here so we are the closest thing to family you can get. Reminds me of extended family in the military.

Anyway, all the valuables are packed and ready. We are scoping a campground just down the street. Might as well sit on the beach, it's safe there.
dmiles

Return to No Holds Barred