Text Size

No Holds Barred

Patriot Day 9/11

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Patriot Day 9/11

Unread postby mswerb » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:44 pm

Tuesday is Patriot Day, make sure we fly Old Glory with pride.Image
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:32 am

It is also the first Tuesday that September 11 has fallen on since 2001. I'll never forget that Tuesday. I was excited about a new Bob Dylan album coming out and stopped off on my way to school to pick one up. I'd heard something on the radio about an attack on the World Trade Center but thought that it was probably a replay of the 1993 attack, that it was the anniversary of that event or something like that. I turned on some old school Dylan and went on my merry way.

When I stopped at Target and saw the TVs all tuned in and showing what was happening, I remember feeling a sinking feeling in my stomach. Our class was cancelled midway through, but we as a class decided to finish. We had a guest lecturer on Ben Franklin and his role in the founding of the nation. It was comforting to be able to dive into the past, even only for and hour and a half.

The drive home was so odd. The USF campus was empty by the time I left that morning. There was hardly anyone on the road in Tampa - it seemed like it was 2AM. Surreal.

When I got home I discovered how difficult it was to make a phone call, even locally. The lines were clogged. It took a long time to get through to friends out of state. I didn't know what to do the rest of the day. It was hard watching the coverage shown on every channel. ESPN, Comedy Central, the History Channel - everything was showing coverage and rightly so. Everything on the web was redirecting to coverage. I kept on eye on it and read, wondering if something else would be coming at us somewhere.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby furls » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:37 pm

I was in the Persian Gulf, playing in the world's largest kitty litter box. It sucked, that is all.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby mswerb » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:39 pm

A day no one will ever forget where they were. I was at work, and a co-worker came out of the break room and said "Someone just crashed a plane into the WTC." We had all figured it was a small, private sized plane. Ten minutes later, the entire place was empty, everyone was in front of the T.V. It was easily the only time I was have been at work and EVERYONE was watching the news. :-( :sad: :(
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:50 pm

I trade bonds & mortgage backed securities for a living, and when the markets closed, thats when I knew it was time to worry. It takes some serious shit to shut down the Amercian financial markets.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby buddycowley » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:35 am

It was my first full week of teaching at Mater Dei.

For some reason I didn't listen to the radio or watch TV getting ready for work that morning, but as soon as I turned the car on, I knew something was wrong.

The DJ for Power 106 (the hip-hop station in SoCal) known as "Big Boy" just had this tone in his voice that I had never heard before. It was one of the most difficult car rides I'd ever dealt with because I hadn't seen any of the images of what occurred.

Not much teaching went on that day. However, my students still learned a lot. Maybe too much.

Buddy
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Return to No Holds Barred