Text Size

No Holds Barred

Nintendo Wii

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Nintendo Wii

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:38 pm

Anyone have one of these? I am thinking about trading in my Xbox360 to get one. I dont have a lot of time for games anymore so it seems like the Wii would better suite my gaming interests.
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78

Unread postby buddycowley » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:40 pm

I have one. No, I don't recommend trading in your XBox 360 to get one.

1. The games are fun and all, but the motion detection isn't great all of the time. Makes games that were fun a lot less interesting to play when the remote doesn't work right. I thought SSX Blur would be fun on the Wii, but all the flip and spin tricks needed me to pull up on the controller to flip and flick it sideways to spin. A lot of things are just easier with a regular controller than with the sensitive one.

2. No really "fun" and "worthwhile" games are out. Things have started to change with titles like the Smash Bros. game and Resident Evil, but still, most of them are kinda clunkers.

3. It all depends on what kind of games you really like. FPS will be interesting on the Wii, but the graphics will never measure up. Role-players like Zelda and Mario are great, but that's about it. Nothing Final Fantasy-eqsue around at all.

Truthfully, I'd rather have the XBox. More games with more capability. The motion detecting stuff is nice, but it leaves a lot to be desired with some games.

Buddy
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Re: Nintendo Wii

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:49 am

MacGregor78 wrote:Anyone have one of these? I am thinking about trading in my Xbox360 to get one. I dont have a lot of time for games anymore so it seems like the Wii would better suite my gaming interests.

The wii is a great system but in no way would I try and trade an xbox360 or ps3 for it. It's a nice 2nd/3rd system.....................
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:44 pm

Doesn't the WII have an option to use a more traditional controller?

...and are we at a point in society where we now have 2nd and 3rd gaming systems in our homes?

WOW!

Sheesh I just myself a touch tone phone and plan on getting a 27" color TV next week.

:lol:
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:40 am

I could see people having the Wii as a second system along with an Xbox360 or PS3. It is just a completely different experience compared to the Xbox and PS
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:45 pm

Yes, there is a controller that can plug into the Wii-mote, but it's currently used only for Virtual Console games. Those are the legacy NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, and Turbografx games that you can buy online and play on the Wii.

Major hurdle number one is actually finding a Wii. Nintendo has announced that they expect them to continue to be hard to find until spring of 2008. The Big N is producing plenty of them - they sell more Wiis in a month than MS and Sony sell PS3s and Xbox 360s combined. By the end of the year the Wii will leave the Xbox in the dust and become the #1 next gen console on the planet. It might already be there due to the Xbox 360's 30% failure rate. MS still includes those failed units when they count units shipped.

As for if you should get one, it depends on what games you want to play. If you care more about the graphics and the FPS and combat games then Wii is probably not for you. Wii is about being more involved in the games.

There are plenty of great titles now on the Wii, but they are not the same kind of games that you'll find on PS3 or Xbox 360. There is some overlap and the Wii version is far superior than the traditional console versions. Madden for Wii, for example, is light years beyond the uninvolving versions on the traditional consoles. You have to move both hands to do many things, like juke or stiff arm. You also have to make a throwing motion to throw the ball, the speed of your motion determining whether you lob it or throw a bullet.

Wii is more family and group oriented. It's drawing people to consoles that would never have bought one because of the experience. The motion sensing is good for most first party games and needs some tweaking on third party games, though most I've dealt with work quite well. The greatest challenge is getting control of your movement. Lots of people are too frenetic with the controller and put too much input into it and that's why they complain about problems with it's motion detection. If you're too hurky-jerkey then you will upset the accelerometers and gyroscopes in the controller.

Your best bet is to play Wii Sports for a while and also pick up the extra controller that comes with Wii Play. These games help you learn how to handle the controller.

I'd also recommend games like WarioWare: Smooth Moves - some of the most fun I've ever had on a console. Zelda is, of course, great. Konami's Elebits was surprising (and won game of the year last year not just for Wii but for all consoles). Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz is a ton of fun. Need For Speed: Carbon works nicely with the Wii-mote and is a good port over from other consoles. Excite Truck is another great game.

All in all, I'd say there are far more good games on Wii than for Xbox 360 or PS3, but I don't care for most of the titles on either of those consoles. There are even more big titles coming soon for Wii. The next Resident Evil, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Melee, Metroid Prime 3. I'd guess that most of those games will be hard to come by when they arrive and will probably be out a lot around Christmas time. Retailers have never seen this kind of demand for a system this far into its launch and the Wii looks poised to fly past the PS2's sales numbers in a few years. The console battle in Japan is already over with Sony's PS3 being left in the dust and Microsoft never getting a foothold over there.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:12 pm

Problem here lies in holding the casual fan's interest over a long period of time. The Wii has done an excellent job getting the non-gamer interested in gaming. The potential problem here is that the initial fascination will wear out and Nintendo's core target demographic will lose interest in games again.
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:44 pm

MacGregor78 wrote:Problem here lies in holding the casual fan's interest over a long period of time. The Wii has done an excellent job getting the non-gamer interested in gaming. The potential problem here is that the initial fascination will wear out and Nintendo's core target demographic will lose interest in games again.

It's a possibility and ultimately will depend on how well Nintendo and the other game makers create games.

I don't think it's the case, though. They same could have been said about the Nintendo DS too, but it's selling better that it ever has and is murdering the PSP every where despite the PSP's technical superiority.

An advantage for Nintendo is that their hardware can actually inspire game makers. Even the Wii versions of games on Xbox360 and PS3 are very different and not mere ports - the control scheme is more involving.

And there's the potential for new peripherals. Nintendo's introduction of Wii Fitness with the balance board created huge buzz. The balance board itself could impact many different games, allowing players to use their arms for movement while also using shifts in their weight on the balance board for further movement.

Nintendo also has shown a tendency to innovate and I think they can keep things fresh. The Wii won't attract the hardcore gamer, although there will be some out there.

I know that I had lost interest in games until the Wii came along and I haven't lost interest in it even though months have passed since I found my console. I normally would not play a console as much at this point, but I still play the thing most every day. One of the appealing factors for me is that I'm not required to spend hours on end in front of it. I can play for a little while and then move on to other things, coming back later.

Time will tell with the Wii, but right now Nintendo looks to be the genius in the gaming world. Sony is losing money hand over fist on the PS3 and won't make a profit on it until 2009 if they are lucky. Microsoft was due to finally make a profit next year on the Xbox 360 but now will likely have to wait until 2009 because of the $1Billion hit they took to fix all the defective Xboxes out there. Meanwhile, Nintendo makes a profit on every Wii sold. Nintendo knows how to manage the market. I really do wonder if Microsoft and Sony will stay in the console market beyond the current generation. MS has yet to make any money between the Xbox and Xbox 360. Sony's PS2 is now very profitable for them, but it's clear that the PS3 won't reach the heights that the PS2 has seen. They will make money off the PS2 for a few more years and the PS3 may eventually make a small profit for them. There is an ancillary benefit for Sony, though. It appears that Blu-Ray will be the champion of the HD wars. It has a large lead on HD-DVD largely due to the PS3 and the Blu-Ray discs have been outselling HD-DVD by a 2-to-1 margin for a while now. Best Buy is clearly behind Blu-Ray as is Blockbuster. The PS3 allowed Sony to catch up to Toshiba and that will likely make the PS3 worth their while, but I doubt it's enough to guarantee that there will be a PS4.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby pup » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:07 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
MacGregor78 wrote:Problem here lies in holding the casual fan's interest over a long period of time. The Wii has done an excellent job getting the non-gamer interested in gaming. The potential problem here is that the initial fascination will wear out and Nintendo's core target demographic will lose interest in games again.

It's a possibility and ultimately will depend on how well Nintendo and the other game makers create games.

I don't think it's the case, though. They same could have been said about the Nintendo DS too, but it's selling better that it ever has and is murdering the PSP every where despite the PSP's technical superiority.

An advantage for Nintendo is that their hardware can actually inspire game makers. Even the Wii versions of games on Xbox360 and PS3 are very different and not mere ports - the control scheme is more involving.

And there's the potential for new peripherals. Nintendo's introduction of Wii Fitness with the balance board created huge buzz. The balance board itself could impact many different games, allowing players to use their arms for movement while also using shifts in their weight on the balance board for further movement.

Nintendo also has shown a tendency to innovate and I think they can keep things fresh. The Wii won't attract the hardcore gamer, although there will be some out there.

I know that I had lost interest in games until the Wii came along and I haven't lost interest in it even though months have passed since I found my console. I normally would not play a console as much at this point, but I still play the thing most every day. One of the appealing factors for me is that I'm not required to spend hours on end in front of it. I can play for a little while and then move on to other things, coming back later.

Time will tell with the Wii, but right now Nintendo looks to be the genius in the gaming world. Sony is losing money hand over fist on the PS3 and won't make a profit on it until 2009 if they are lucky. Microsoft was due to finally make a profit next year on the Xbox 360 but now will likely have to wait until 2009 because of the $1Billion hit they took to fix all the defective Xboxes out there. Meanwhile, Nintendo makes a profit on every Wii sold. Nintendo knows how to manage the market. I really do wonder if Microsoft and Sony will stay in the console market beyond the current generation. MS has yet to make any money between the Xbox and Xbox 360. Sony's PS2 is now very profitable for them, but it's clear that the PS3 won't reach the heights that the PS2 has seen. They will make money off the PS2 for a few more years and the PS3 may eventually make a small profit for them. There is an ancillary benefit for Sony, though. It appears that Blu-Ray will be the champion of the HD wars. It has a large lead on HD-DVD largely due to the PS3 and the Blu-Ray discs have been outselling HD-DVD by a 2-to-1 margin for a while now. Best Buy is clearly behind Blu-Ray as is Blockbuster. The PS3 allowed Sony to catch up to Toshiba and that will likely make the PS3 worth their while, but I doubt it's enough to guarantee that there will be a PS4.

And all this time I thought you only knew NBA CBA information. So well rounded down there in Tampa :lol:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:15 pm

Pup wrote:And all this time I thought you only knew NBA CBA information. So well rounded down there in Tampa :lol:

I'm a real Renaissance Man. ;)
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:18 pm

Just don't get him started on Raja Bell ... :-) :smile: :)
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:40 pm

Swerb wrote:Just don't get him started on Raja Bell ... :-) :smile: :)

I can't claim full credit on the Raja Bell thing anyways. Someone mentioned him as a possibility on the Scout Cavs board. His stats looked good and he would have been cheap.

I was wrong on the Michael Redd thing, though. He's better than I thought he would be. Too bad he proved loyal to Milwaukee and their money, eh?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:31 pm

Well, this holiday season should be huge for Microsoft. The 360 has a ton of games coming out and a lot of look amazing. Great gameplay as well, not just some graphics exhibition. The sales should help push the 360 into profitable territory. The warranty extension was a necessary PR move as well. Their reputation was getting killed by charging people to repair an obvious design malfunction. I think that definitely helps Microsoft in the long run.

I want a Wii for the time commitment that was mentioned. The Wii seems to be perfect for a 15-30 minute gaming session. The games almost seem geared for it. With a kid on the way and all kinds of adult responsibilities my time for some good old fashioned video gaming is getting very thin.
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:43 pm

MacGregor78 wrote:Well, this holiday season should be huge for Microsoft. The 360 has a ton of games coming out and a lot of look amazing. Great gameplay as well, not just some graphics exhibition. The sales should help push the 360 into profitable territory. The warranty extension was a necessary PR move as well. Their reputation was getting killed by charging people to repair an obvious design malfunction. I think that definitely helps Microsoft in the long run.

It's still a long road for them. They're several billion dollars in the hole right now because they're subsidizing the system to lower the price and they're having to eat repair costs because they rushed it to the market too soon.

I do think they will have a good Christmas season, though they've got stiff competition. PS3 also has some good titles coming out and has already seen a price drop. I think the Wii will dominate because of its broad appeal. The fight is going to be for second place between PS3 and Xbox360 with the PS3 having an edge in the worldwide area because Xbox doesn't sell in Japan.

Big question is will Xbox360 or PS3 outsell the PS2? That console is still going strong. I think it's largely because Sony and MS overestimated the market for HD games. While people may be pushing for HD in the video and TV realm, most seem okay with PS2 quality graphics for games. That's where the Wii stands, outputting 480p and looking good but not HD quality.

The PS2 is still selling over a million units in the US every quarter and about 2.5 million globally a quarter, outpacing all the new systems other than the Wii. With 120 million+ consoles worldwide it will have staying power.

I want a Wii for the time commitment that was mentioned. The Wii seems to be perfect for a 15-30 minute gaming session. The games almost seem geared for it. With a kid on the way and all kinds of adult responsibilities my time for some good old fashioned video gaming is getting very thin.

It definitely is good for that. It's also nice that you can break out in a sweat playing many of the games. That'll be truer still when Wii Fitness hits and you can track your BMI along with how much aerobic work you're doing. It could revolutionize how people exercise in home.

Good news is if you find one and don't like it then you can always get all your money back on eBay. There are plenty of willing buyers out there and used systems sell online above the retail $249.99 sticker price.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:40 am

I have read the PS3 price drop is only temporary and the thing is still $100 more than a 360. The games arent there yet for the PS3, it just launched too late. I dont really count the Wii in this race since it is a completely different system all together. Sony and MS will be racing each other with one of the two losing out big time. Sony may have been a little overconfident in the fact that the PS3 would sell based on name alone. $600 is a ton of money to dump on a system.
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:25 am

MacGregor78 wrote:I have read the PS3 price drop is only temporary and the thing is still $100 more than a 360. The games arent there yet for the PS3, it just launched too late. I dont really count the Wii in this race since it is a completely different system all together. Sony and MS will be racing each other with one of the two losing out big time. Sony may have been a little overconfident in the fact that the PS3 would sell based on name alone. $600 is a ton of money to dump on a system.

Did PS3 launch too late or did 360 launch too early? With all the problems that the 360 has had, a heavily reported 30% failure rate, it can be argued that MS rushed it and that cost them billions. They may have moved more consoles early, but Sony now looks to make a profit before MS does and MS released a year earlier.

I agree, the PS3 doesn't have the titles. It's still doing pretty well, racking up 4.5 million in global sales versus 360's 11 million and that 350 is dubious because MS supposedly includes all systems that have been given to customers, including those that have failed and been replaced.

That $100 price drop isn't temporary. They are creating an improved system to fill in that $600 slot.

One thing is known now - the Xbox is a colossal failure in Japan. PS3 can be sustained because it's strong in Japan. PS3 is way behind in the US, though it's hard to say by how much because MS has been shaky with the numbers for the Xbox.

All that said, I do think that MS and Sony both consider the Wii to be competition. Certainly the retailers do and many are already making plans to carry more Wii games than PS3 and Xbox 360 combined because the software moves much faster for the Nintendo system.

That's ultimately the key for any system - how many games do you sell for it? Reports from a few retailers have indicated that Xbox 360 games sales are starting to slip and may fall below the PS3's. Even if 360 sells more consoles in the long run, what's the point of it if they sell fewer games? That's where they make the money back. It's why I find the gaming industry outside of Nintendo to be goofy. Sony has made money doing this, but the original Xbox was a huge money loser for MS and the 360 right now appears to be no different. If they maintain their sales then they will make a bit of money by 2009, but it won't be pouring in. I really just don't get the whole strategy of taking a monetary hit on a console. I think both MS and Sony overreached with what they wanted. They built something that would have been more cost effective in a few more years and may have stabbed themselves in the foot while doing so.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Return to No Holds Barred