Text Size

No Holds Barred

PA High School Stabbing

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

PA High School Stabbing

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:10 pm

Here we go again. This time with a knife.

A 16 year old student brought a few knives to school and got to 20 people before the Principle tackled him. Looks like a few are in the OR and a few are critical but stable.
[url]
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/s ... -1.1750425[/url]

Jeezus
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: PA High School Stabbing

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:12 pm

I've been as outspoken a proponent of tougher gun control as anyone around here, but damn if this isn't exactly what Peeker and some of you other assholes have been saying.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:40 pm

To me there is still a difference.

20 injured vs 20 dead.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:09 pm

I agree, injured is better than dead. But damn, 20 people, how the hell does one person get at 20 people with a knife?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:22 am

FUDU wrote: But damn, 20 people, how the hell does one person get at 20 people with a knife?

If it's in-between classes or at arrival/dismissal, very easily. When the bell rings, it's like a cattle drive.

Mental illness, bullying or broken home?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:18 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Mental illness, bullying or broken home?

Yes.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:02 am

pup wrote:To me there is still a difference.

20 injured vs 20 dead.

Also an important point.

Someone needs to get these kids on a sports team, or in a club or something.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:05 pm

Not sure if you guys watch The Following, the Kevin Bacon show about a cult of young people who are exhorted by their leader Joe Carroll to murder people in public....knifing being the weapon of choice. I have seen it speculated (on the Internet of course) that this kid was acting out a scene from that show that aired two days before this incident, where the cult kids go into a bookstore during a book signing and randomly knife people to death.

You'll never convince me that the blood and guts violence today's kids are marinated in on TV, in movies, and perhaps especially in video games, has no effect on the way they view (and act out in) real life. The Following is graphically violent, with the routine slitting of throats, ritual ceremonial killings, blood gushing freely in virtually every episode.

The thing is, this show is hardly exceptional. Much closer to the norm, based on TV that I see.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:10 pm

danwismar wrote:Not sure if you guys watch The Following, the Kevin Bacon show about a cult of young people who are exhorted by their leader Joe Carroll to murder people in public....knifing being the weapon of choice. I have seen it speculated (on the Internet of course) that this kid was acting out a scene from that show that aired two days before this incident, where the cult kids go into a bookstore during a book signing and randomly knife people to death.

You'll never convince me that the blood and guts violence today's kids are marinated in on TV, in movies, and perhaps especially in video games, has no effect on the way they view (and act out in) real life. The Following is graphically violent, with the routine slitting of throats, ritual ceremonial killings, blood gushing freely in virtually every episode.

The thing is, this show is hardly exceptional. Much closer to the norm, based on TV that I see.

Jeez, if he was acting out an episode of The Following he's an even bigger idiot than I thought. That show sucks. Gave up on it after about 4 episodes.

I guess I'm with you, Dan, in that I have a hard time believing that all of the violence that kids are seeing doesn't have at least SOME affect on them. But it's literally millions of kids that are subjected to it, but a very few that act out in any way. Makes me think that it's something wrong with the kid, not the content, even if the content acts as some sort of trigger. My feeling is that, if what you are saying about the show and the kid is accurate, and the show somehow flipped a switch, then the switch was there the whole time and SOMETHING was going to flip it eventually.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Return to No Holds Barred