Text Size

No Holds Barred

Minn school policy, neutral on homosexuality.

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Minn school policy, neutral on homosexuality.

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:31 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/29/minnesota.school.gay.policy/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Anoka, Minnesota (CNN) -- Late at night, long after class is dismissed, middle school teacher Jefferson Fietek logs on for his night shift: answering the texts and Facebook posts of suicidal teens.

Fietek, an adviser for his school's Gay-Straight Alliance in Anoka, Minnesota, says he gets messages from students contemplating suicide or those with friends in crisis at least once a week.

Some of the distressed kids are gay, others are questioning their sexuality, he said. Fietek's off-duty interventions may blur the line between teacher and friend, but Fietek, who's openly gay, said some of these kids have no one else to turn to for support.

"I'm worried and concerned about the kids in my school district who are struggling to navigate in a toxic environment," explained Fietek, who said talking to CNN could cost him his job as a theater teacher at Anoka Middle School for the Arts in Anoka-Hennepin.

The suburban Minneapolis school district, he said, has a climate where kids "feel they have to lie and cover up who they are." "If they're a kid that's questioning their identity, that they have to hide that," he said. "If there's a girl that's too masculine and is being harassed about that, or if there's a boy that's too feminine, [they're] just not feeling a collective support."

Hard to see a lot of fault on the school's attempt to be balanced here. They acknowledge this is an issue that should be addressed in the home and they also have a fairly sound bullying policy in place.

The lawsuit seems questionable.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Minn school policy, neutral on homosexuality.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:39 am

I think both sides have fair points, and anytime you have kids offing themselvesm it's gonn be a complicated issue.

I remember in 7th grade 3 high schoolers in our district died huffing butane (seriously), they had a week of anti huffing education.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to No Holds Barred