Text Size

No Holds Barred

Cash bars, had no idea

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Cash bars, had no idea

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Two friends are going to weddings out of town, western NY and Mass, both are cash bars, bride's & groom's families are both loaded from my understanding. My friends are a bit taken back and feel it is tacky and borderline rude. I've never been to a cash bar wedding in my life (roughly 20 weddings) and doing a quick Google I see it is quite a long standing debate, of which I had no idea.

WTF?

Appears to be a regional thing. Most comments I've seen claim it is SOP on the east coast.

My gut reaction to such an invite would be, sorry Charlie not attending.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Cash bars, had no idea

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:28 pm

I'd still go, but the gift's gettin returned
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:18 pm

A cash bar at a wedding is a traveshamockery. I've never been to one that I can recall. I've been to a few dry weddings, though. That was a blast.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:27 pm

FUDU wrote:Two friends are going to weddings out of town, western NY and Mass, both are cash bars, bride's & groom's families are both loaded from my understanding. My friends are a bit taken back and feel it is tacky and borderline rude. I've never been to a cash bar wedding in my life (roughly 20 weddings) and doing a quick Google I see it is quite a long standing debate, of which I had no idea.

WTF?

Appears to be a regional thing. Most comments I've seen claim it is SOP on the east coast.

My gut reaction to such an invite would be, sorry Charlie not attending.

I'd like shallow over reactions for $500 Alex. Good God man, don't go because you hate Massholes, or you can't afford the grossly overpriced hotels in NYC or you don't want to drive the 8 hours or the fact they don't have Chipotle - you don't not go to an East Coast wedding because of a cash bar.

Now, if the reception is on the GoodTime III or at the Irish American club in North Olmstead and it's a cash bar, then fuck 'em.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:33 pm

If I found out that it was a cash bar, I'd definitely lower my gift cost. There are certain expectations when going to a wedding. An open bar, IMO, is one of them. You save money on some bullshit like monogrammed napkins and get some hooch. And if there's money in the family and it's a cash bar...well, then I'm with wabo.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:40 pm

Unless the wedding is within walking distance, or it's a really, really good friend, no way do I go.

They want you to drive long distances, pay for hotels and pay for a gift without buying you a beer for the effort? No way.

I attended a dry wedding 8 hours away over Christmas. It was a good friend, in a place I have wanted to visit and a small wedding (family mostly) so I didn't mind, but I'm of the opinion it needs to be a big F'n party.

Hell, skimp on the food, DJ, pictures, reception hall, tuxes, limos and even the bride, but don't kill the party. There needs to be a beverage involved.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Squints » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:44 pm

Dry weddings are awful. One of my best friends from work got married a few years ago, her husband does not drink and so neither could any of us. A couple hours into the reception a distinct number of us went to the hotel bar and got loaded.

But back to the cash/open bar debate. I say it depends. If the couple is truly on a budget, and you can tell this by the rest of the wedding- size, food, etc,- then I would respect that aspect and be fine with paying. However, if the couple has the finances and they are just being cheap, well then that's pretty lame.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:14 am

Cut enough guests until you have enough for the booze.

If that doesn't do it, get married sans wedding.

And dry weddings....Christ. The nonsense that you have to endure while attending weddings....the annoying fucking kid that won't get off the dance floor, the supposedly funny cake in the face, the garter toss in which the uncle who's as goofy as a shit house rooster snags the garter and creepily has to put it on your 14 year old niece that caught the bouquet.....to have to put up with this shit stone sober is enough to make you go out and suck exhaust from the limo.

Been to one, and the hotel bar had 75% of the guests in hit wire to wire.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby southernflyer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:52 am

I've been to a couple where beer and standard mixed drinks are included, but if you want to hit the Patron, it'll cost ya. Maybe it's from a family of alcoholics where the guys are all at the bar and the women all dance, but it's just tacky. Religious or financial reasons, I get it.

The only full cash bar I've been to was in S. Florida at a pretty nice oceanside hotel where it was expected that everyone was oozing hundred dollar bills, big Italian wedding. The local bishop presided, and I asked him after the service that I thought Catholics weren't supposed to have wedding masses (not just service) at secular establishments, he told me there was a pretty good reason (donation).

My girl at the time and I hit a happy hour bar down the road between wedding and reception and it cost us about $50 for just about all we could handle, or what would have been three mixed drinks at the hotel.
southernflyer

Favorite Player: Face from the A Team
Least Favorite Player: David Delucci

Unread postby idoctribefan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:14 am

I was the best man at a dry wedding. Not a great experience. I brought a flask into the reception, but it wasn't big enough or strong enough. The average age of the people in the room was probably 60. One table cracked up at my jokes (the table where the other 20-somethings where sitting). Everybody else was silent and motionless. I was annoyed at how dead the room was so I closed the speech by toasting to the bride/groom and then toasting to "America, the greatest country on God's green Earth". My buddy (the groom) loved it but it pissed his wife off, but I don't like her anyway so who cares.

My friends spent the first half of the reception drinking out in the car. They didn't tell me they went out there. I asked them why later. They said they didn't want me getting smashed and cursing or being an embarrassment during the speech. Probably was smart on their part.

The ceremony itself was bad too. It was in a church that didn't have A/C. In the middle of July. High of 96 w/some humidity that day. And they made us show up to get dressed at 10am for a 3:30pm ceremony. One of the bridesmaids passed out. We had gone to bed at 7am the morning before so we were goin on about 2 hours of sleep.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:09 am

Donny, It's Protestants. Why do you think we had to blow them to smitereens for all those years?

Jokes man, jokes.

But seriously. you'd NEVER see any sort of bloodline that leads back to ethnic Catholics even fathom a cash bar, but you get the tea totteler Protestants and yaeh, not uncommmon.

My advice is to go man. And show up with like a case of keystones or busch or blatz or some realy aweful shit and just plop that mofo dead center on your table. Better yet, a dirty beat to crap cooler loaded with shit beer. Put the centerpiece on top. N'joy the reaction when the B & G walk by the table to say "hi" and thank you for coming (or will they skip that, too?) Be sure to ask her when the dollar dance starts caue you don't want to miss it.

Statement.

Have a backup in your car trunk for when all the normal people come over to the party central of the reception. Who knows, you might even meet a woman?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:14 am

leadpipe wrote: The nonsense that you have to endure while attending weddings....the annoying fucking kid that won't get off the dance floor, the supposedly funny cake in the face, the garter toss in which the uncle who's as goofy as a shit house rooster snags the garter and creepily has to put it on your 14 year old niece that caught the bouquet.....to have to put up with this shit stone sober is enough to make you go out and suck exhaust from the limo.

Epic, Piper.

I hate wedding receptions. Entails like 2 of the things I hate most in life: dancing and pretending to give a shit about boring people (ecen worse if relatives or in laws) I could care less about. Only thing that counterbalances is drinking if you have a driver or a room.

I'd rather attend a lte season Browns - Stillers game.
jb

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:33 am

jb wrote:I hate wedding receptions. Entails like 2 of the things I hate most in life: dancing and pretending to give a shit about boring people (ecen worse if relatives or in laws) I could care less about. Only thing that counterbalances is drinking if you have a driver or a room.

Hate all of it. Hate the speeches, the receiving line, the dollare dance, the Hockey Pokey, the line dancing. Most of all I hate the whole garter/bouquet toss situation. When I was single having the bridal party insist you go to the dance floor to be a part of it. I just stoodd behind people with eiother my hands in my pockets or on the back of the guy/kid in front of me. Once that garter was airborn, give the little guy a puch in the direction it's falling, feign disappointment I wasn't lucky enough to catch it, then head back to the bar/table.

I tried really hard to have this excluded from our wedding and my wife was on board until my mother and the MiL both insisted on tradition. Felt like the biggest idiot in the room having the dj play some risque music while I go "hunting" for the garter. Couldn't get that over with soon enough.

No cash bar for us either. We had a good bar with just below top shelf liquor. However we knew the bartender and the GM of the facility and they used top shelf whenever me or my bride would get a drink for ourselves and whoever we wanted to drink with us. Our DJ also went against the grain and actually played music that we requested. 99% of the usual wedding reception playlist was not allowed.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:53 am

I think the best man should always cite the statistics that 50%+ of all marriages fail, let it sink in, then take a quarter, flip it in the air and let it land on the head table just for effect.

Then he should look at the coin, lower his head, purse his lips, look gloomily at the happy couple and slither off to the bar after ending his 'speech' by telling the bride and groom , "Hey, the odds are in your favor on your next one."

But I'm a romantic...just who I am. ;-) ;) :wink:

Larvell Blanks wrote:
jb wrote:I hate wedding receptions. Entails like 2 of the things I hate most in life: dancing and pretending to give a shit about boring people (ecen worse if relatives or in laws) I could care less about. Only thing that counterbalances is drinking if you have a driver or a room.

Hate all of it. Hate the speeches, the receiving line, the dollare dance, the Hockey Pokey, the line dancing. Most of all I hate the whole garter/bouquet toss situation. When I was single having the bridal party insist you go to the dance floor to be a part of it. I just stoodd behind people with eiother my hands in my pockets or on the back of the guy/kid in front of me. Once that garter was airborn, give the little guy a puch in the direction it's falling, feign disappointment I wasn't lucky enough to catch it, then head back to the bar/table.

I tried really hard to have this excluded from our wedding and my wife was on board until my mother and the MiL both insisted on tradition. Felt like the biggest idiot in the room having the dj play some risque music while I go "hunting" for the garter. Couldn't get that over with soon enough.

No cash bar for us either. We had a good bar with just below top shelf liquor. However we knew the bartender and the GM of the facility and they used top shelf whenever me or my bride would get a drink for ourselves and whoever we wanted to drink with us. Our DJ also went against the grain and actually played music that we requested. 99% of the usual wedding reception playlist was not allowed.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby General » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:59 am

Given a choice I would rather put up a barbed wire fence in the nude than attend a wedding, cash bar or not.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:42 am

Matt will feel better now knowing I'm in the extreme minorty on this.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:10 pm

FUDU wrote:Matt will feel better now knowing I'm in the extreme minorty on this.

I cannot wait to see the # of posts like this in the Cam Newton thread come the evening of April 28th.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:15 pm

Depends on who the person we be celebratin'. It would have to be someone important to get me that out of pocket.

JB put it best. It is a cornucopia of issues.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby dem425 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:59 pm

leadpipe wrote:
The nonsense that you have to endure while attending weddings....the annoying fucking kid that won't get off the dance floor, the supposedly funny cake in the face, the garter toss in which the uncle who's as goofy as a shit house rooster snags the garter and creepily has to put it on your 14 year old niece that caught the bouquet.....to have to put up with this shit stone sober is enough to make you go out and suck exhaust from the limo.

Pipe: That was Brian's wedding and I didn't put a garter on a 14-year old girl..............It was Mike Barker in a wig..........I think
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby Squints » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:58 pm

My wife (then girlfriend) and I would leave the reception area whenever the garter toss/bouquet throw was announced. The most BS "tradition" of all of the traditional parts of a wedding reception and the most creepy. I still don't watch it and I roll my eyes when it's announced, but now we don't have to run and hide from all the idiots trying to pull us onto the floor.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Squints wrote: and the most creepy.

Mine's the hokey-pokey
waborat

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:31 pm

waborat wrote:
Squints wrote: and the most creepy.

Mine's the hokey-pokey

mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:38 pm

FUDU wrote:Matt will feel better now knowing I'm in the extreme minorty on this.

I don't know what I feel right now. Cash bar at Manakiki? Count me out.

But East Coast weddings (been to 'em in Philly, Saddle River NJ, and Groton) are the bomb. Roadie, everyone is in a celebratory mood, press the limit, hit on some strange, what's not to love? Usually I was so fucked up on alternative, holistic medicine, I didn't need an open bar.

Times have changed. Obviously.

ETA - Kids today are way to focused on getting 'yer drink on. There are alternative methods of self medication. Which back in the day was why open/cash bar didn't matter. Although I do appreciate the Martin Luther aspect to the modern day wedding. Just sayin'.
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:08 am

mattvan1 wrote:But East Coast weddings (been to 'em in Philly, Saddle River NJ, and Groton) are the bomb. Roadie, everyone is in a celebratory mood, press the limit, hit on some strange, what's not to love?

jb

Unread postby waborat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:28 am

jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:But East Coast weddings (been to 'em in Philly, Saddle River NJ, and Groton) are the bomb. Roadie, everyone is in a celebratory mood, press the limit, hit on some strange, what's not to love?

And hence, why higher the proof, the worthier
waborat

Unread postby comish » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:21 pm

I don't care WHAT your preference is in your home life..if you are a teetotaler, recovering, then so be it, but you are THROWING A PARTY AND EXPECTING GIFTS. When throwing a party (which a reception is) you play to your GUESTS, not yourself. Not having ANY alchohol, or making people pay for their alchohol is a freaking joke.

Most weddings have at least a few out of towners, to make them pay for travel, hotel, AND expect a gift WITHOUT an open bar is just plain wrong to me. Next you will be charging them for their food. Even beer and wine only is a joke. If you can't afford it, don't have a reception, do a destination wedding instead and have a party at your house or something when you get back.

I've DJd 100's of weddings over the years and once in a while I'll get the priveledge of working for a couple that goes dry, cash, or B & W only...those receptions are ALWAYS painful. They arr over WAY before they are supposed to be, with me playing the last hour or so for the workers at the hall and a few guests that clearly had a secret stash. :pb:

:hic: :hic: :hic:
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Well well well, look how the tables have turned. Now FUDU wants his handouts and entitlements to free beer.

Cash bars are gay, east coast weddings are teh suck.

You guys would've loved my wedding........... booze everywhere. I saw my father in law hammered drunk, which was odd and kinda sad.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to No Holds Barred